AlexO wrote:
August 7, 2020, 7:55 am
BillaRickaDickay wrote:
August 7, 2020, 12:24 am
pipoz4444 wrote:
August 6, 2020, 10:30 pm
BillaRickaDickay wrote:
August 6, 2020, 10:54 am
It's s long while since I visited Cambodia, is the Dollar still the currency of choice? Maybe it's now the Yuan or Bht.
Yes USD still rules in Cambodia (Phnom Penh), or it did when I was last there in February 2020, for a short trip. Even ATM's dispense nice clean USD notes, at least down along the Riverside area, they do

pipoz4444
Still useful in some places then. When I visited I was advised to take a wad of Dollars as there were very few ATM's.
[/quote

Out in the sticks maybe, but cities and towns, loads of them. All dispensing new/newish dollar bills.
AlexO,
As I said, along time ago, 16 years to be precise, there were very few ATM's, anywhere, in Cambodia.

He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

mech_401
udonmap.com

Re: Dollar is now completely worthless!

Post by mech_401 » August 7, 2020, 10:42 pm

Doodoo wrote:
August 7, 2020, 8:12 pm
A few important words to you to say absolutely well ______?
sorry , none of your opinions posted as fact hold
any integrity under scrutiny & research. is the whole fiat currency scheme a sham ? unfortunately it's often world leaders doing ill-advised manuevers that cause wild fluctuations

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » August 7, 2020, 11:07 pm

BillaRickaDickay wrote:
It's s long while since I visited Cambodia, is the Dollar still the currency of choice? Maybe it's now the Yuan or Bht.
It's sort of, a dual currency system in place, with the USD being preferred for transactions, with change often given in the Cambodian Riel. The Riel to the USD is has been very stable (probably State controlled) at between 4,000 to 4,100 KHR to 1 USD. Been like it for 10 years or more. Also if you walk into shops, such as the Mini-mart, Restaurants, Bars and the like, they will gladly let you pay the whole bill in Cambodian Riel. Often the receipt they give you, has both Prices/Amounts on it. =D>

Despite the amount of Chinese investment in PP /Cambodia, I can't see the Chinese Yuan displacing the USD any time soon. Today the USD still rules and rules well in Cambodia

Needless to say in Cambodia, you get your Dollars Worth. \:D/ \:D/

You should go back for a visit, after the entry controls due to Covid-19, are relaxed to hopefully what they were before.

PP is quite a good place to go for a visa run from Thailand, or just a week away to relax

The city modernizing quickly (or was when I was there), its very friendly and cheap to go

Only negative is, that the Cambodian curries do have the same Zing as the Thai ones.

pipoz4444
Last edited by pipoz4444 on August 8, 2020, 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » August 8, 2020, 7:58 am

"sorry , none of your opinions posted as fact hold"

As do your comments Just stirring the pot to put it poliyely

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » August 9, 2020, 8:17 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
August 7, 2020, 11:07 pm
BillaRickaDickay wrote:
It's sort of, a dual currency system in place, with the USD being preferred for transactions, with change often given in the Cambodian Riel. The Riel to the USD is has been very stable (probably State controlled) at between 4,000 to 4,100 KHR to 1 USD. Been like it for 10 years or more. Also if you walk into shops, such as the Mini-mart, Restaurants, Bars and the like, they will gladly let you pay the whole bill in Cambodian Riel. Often the receipt they give you, has both Prices/Amounts on it. =D>

Despite the amount of Chinese investment in PP /Cambodia, I can't see the Chinese Yuan displacing the USD any time soon. Today the USD still rules and rules well in Cambodia

Needless to say in Cambodia, you get your Dollars Worth. \:D/ \:D/

You should go back for a visit, after the entry controls due to Covid-19, are relaxed to hopefully what they were before.

PP is quite a good place to go for a visa run from Thailand, or just a week away to relax

The city modernizing quickly (or was when I was there), its very friendly and cheap to go

Only negative is, that the Cambodian curries do have the same Zing as the Thai ones.
pipoz4444
Thanks for the info, looks more attractive these days, still a bit hungover from Pol Pot in 2004.
Can't see me going there any time soon, still waiting for things to improve so I can travel back to Thailand. If and when I do return gotta think twice about leaving now.
He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

Return to “World News”