Re: Australia Burns

Post by noosard » February 1, 2020, 3:07 pm

saint wrote:
February 1, 2020, 1:34 pm
noosard wrote:
February 1, 2020, 6:28 am
The mines in Australia are only 14% owned by Aussies
So if you want to blame someone look closer to home
Nope , ive asked around and no one in this home owns a mine of any sort . :-k :-k
If it is a crime, follow the money

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » February 1, 2020, 6:23 pm

Bugger, I don't know much about coal mining. :-k

I know a little bit about bush fires, though, as I used to launch helicopters with Rainmaker buckets to go and fight 'em.
A bushfire near the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) grew to more than 35,000 hectares on Saturday, as officials closed a major motorway.
Residents in some areas around the capital, Canberra, were warned that it was "too late to leave" and they should try to seek shelter.
Source: BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-51338314

Sh!tty death, scary stuff, readers. :shock:

But where would you shelter?
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » February 1, 2020, 9:01 pm

Dont climb into a water tank
unless you want to be boiled

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 11, 2021, 10:30 am

Perhaps a final word for those who blame the "tree huggers", and "greens" and "slimy greens" and lack of prescribed burning for the bushfires and their intensity.
Hazard reduction and logging wouldn't have made difference in Black Summer bushfires, report finds

Weather conditions were so intense during the Black Summer bushfires that fire mitigation measures and logging made little-to-no difference to the scale of destruction which occurred.....

.... Now, the authors of a report published in the Nature, Ecology and Evolution journal found the amount of fuel load — whether it be national parks of private property — had no impact on the severity of the blaze......

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-11/ ... /100130164
It's all about the heating up of the earth, folks - commonly known as global warming.

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » May 11, 2021, 11:29 am

jackspratt wrote:
May 11, 2021, 10:30 am
Perhaps a final word for those who blame the "tree huggers", and "greens" and "slimy greens" and lack of prescribed burning for the bushfires and their intensity.
Hazard reduction and logging wouldn't have made difference in Black Summer bushfires, report finds

Weather conditions were so intense during the Black Summer bushfires that fire mitigation measures and logging made little-to-no difference to the scale of destruction which occurred.....

.... Now, the authors of a report published in the Nature, Ecology and Evolution journal found the amount of fuel load — whether it be national parks of private property — had no impact on the severity of the blaze......

It's all about the heating up of the earth, folks - commonly known as global warming.
What a load of horse shyt. Yep put out by the lefty journos at abc, the doomsdayers channel. I wonder if that mob from nat-ecol-evolution ever ventured out past the city limits of lefty greenie basket weavers. Hazard reduction is needed in bushland to prevent maybe another dreadfull season. Global warning another farsical scam.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 11, 2021, 11:56 am

jackspratt wrote:
May 11, 2021, 10:30 am

So why do they not have catastrophic forest fires in heavily forested Finland?

It's because the Finnish people relentlessly rake their forests as part of their national duty.

Getting back on topic: since we can't cry over spilt milk (or burnt milk either) :

1 ) Have the city, rural and volunteer fire departments in NSW requested increased budgets and more equipment for their increasingly hard job due to climate change?

2 ) Have any of the relevant NSW government departments received and/or approved any budget increase requests?

3 ) What's the stance of the key people in the relevant NSW government departments on climate change?

4 ) What's the federal government's stance on climate change?

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » May 11, 2021, 11:59 am

Professor of Pyrogeography and Fire Science, David Bowman is exploring the relationship between fire, landscapes and humans

Controlled burning for bushfire mitigation could prevent a devastating bushfire, but the smoke can have negative impacts on our health.

https://www.utas.edu.au/profiles/staff/ ... vid-Bowman

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 11, 2021, 12:12 pm

tamada wrote:
May 11, 2021, 11:56 am

It's because the Finnish people relentlessly rake their forests as part of their national duty.
Is that you, Donald?

https://twitter.com/IlmariKamila/status ... 40032?s=20

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 11, 2021, 12:27 pm

Sport wrote:
May 11, 2021, 11:29 am

What a load of horse shyt. Yep put out by the lefty journos at abc, the doomsdayers channel. I wonder if that mob from nat-ecol-evolution ever ventured out past the city limits of lefty greenie basket weavers. Hazard reduction is needed in bushland to prevent maybe another dreadfull season. Global warning another farsical scam.
Does the "lefty" Age also count?
Weather conditions were so extreme and landscapes so dry during the Black Summer bushfires that normal fire mitigation practices such as forestry management or hazard reduction burns had little impact on the devastation caused.

The fires ripped through landscapes with similar ferocity whether they were national parks, state forests or privately held, research published on Tuesday in Nature Ecology & Evolution journal shows......
https://www.theage.com.au/environment/c ... 57qif.html
And the "lefty" independent NSW Government Bushfire Enquiry (same link as above):
The latest paper examining the 2019-20 blazes adds to findings by the NSW independent bushfire inquiry that found fuel loads going into the fire season were no higher than the average during the previous 30 years.
But if it makes you feel good, you are free to keep ignoring the evidence, Sport.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » May 11, 2021, 1:13 pm

The facts are they are now, as of 3 weeks ago, back burning on the south coast of NSW.
From Waterfall down through Helensburgh and beyond.
Don’t care about who made the decision or where the money came from, common sense now prevails.
Those that really matter, the locals, are happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 11, 2021, 1:16 pm

jackspratt wrote:
May 11, 2021, 12:12 pm
tamada wrote:

Is that you, Donald?

Totally ridiculous to compare Finland to Australia. sorry Tam but as a RFS firey for 22 years.

Australia 7.6 Million sq kilometres, Finland 340,000 sq kilometres. Finland in moist temperate zone, Australia in arid zone.

The most vulnerable bushfire prone places in Australia are in a zone that run from Brisbane to Adelaide, several thousand kilometres, most of which is swathed in eucalyptus forests that are in mountainous terrain that is difficult to impossible to gain access. It would be impossible to rake up the tonnes of leaf litter.

Those areas that are adjacent to populated areas have leaf litter debris that can range as high as 40 tonne per hectare, that is why HR's (hazard Reductions) are used to control the danger of uncontrollable bush fires. HR's are very carefully planned, typically conducted between May and September, it is too dangerous to attempt outside of this window as the conditions of humidiity and temperature would drive scorch heights above the safe limit of 1.5 metres.

Fires caused by dry lightening strikes often occur deep in the forests where fuel loads cannot be controlled. Most fires travel through the leaf litter, crowning fires are not that common. Much of the fire prone areas have steep hills and mountains, a fire running up these hills double its rate of spread for every 10 degrees of slope, that is exponential and very often leads to fire balls. The great fires in Sydney in 1994 saw fireballs travelling at over 100 KPH.

No way this can ever be managed given Australia's topography.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 11, 2021, 4:11 pm

Whistler wrote:
May 11, 2021, 1:16 pm
jackspratt wrote:
May 11, 2021, 12:12 pm
tamada wrote:

Is that you, Donald?

Totally ridiculous to compare Finland to Australia. sorry Tam but as a RFS firey for 22 years.
Totally ridiculous to think I was being serious but there we are. I thought a grizzled firey like yourself would have spotted Trump's canard.
Australia 7.6 Million sq kilometres, Finland 340,000 sq kilometres. Finland in moist temperate zone, Australia in arid zone.
Finland is 72% forested and classed as sub-arctic whereas Australia's 16% of woodiness is all in the small, crowded temperate bit. That's according to wiki but I was unable to find any statistical data on rakes per household for any country.
The most vulnerable bushfire prone places in Australia are in a zone that run from Brisbane to Adelaide, several thousand kilometres, most of which is swathed in eucalyptus forests that are in mountainous terrain that is difficult to impossible to gain access. It would be impossible to rake up the tonnes of leaf litter.

Those areas that are adjacent to populated areas have leaf litter debris that can range as high as 40 tonne per hectare, that is why HR's (hazard Reductions) are used to control the danger of uncontrollable bush fires. HR's are very carefully planned, typically conducted between May and September, it is too dangerous to attempt outside of this window as the conditions of humidiity and temperature would drive scorch heights above the safe limit of 1.5 metres.

Fires caused by dry lightening strikes often occur deep in the forests where fuel loads cannot be controlled. Most fires travel through the leaf litter, crowning fires are not that common. Much of the fire prone areas have steep hills and mountains, a fire running up these hills double its rate of spread for every 10 degrees of slope, that is exponential and very often leads to fire balls. The great fires in Sydney in 1994 saw fireballs travelling at over 100 KPH.

No way this can ever be managed given Australia's topography.
I recall an excellent presentation that showed last season's fires were caused by lightning strikes during storms in the deeper forests in the more remote hills. There's no way of controlling those events and agree that it's impossible to rake these forests (it was a joke anyway). I also recall that last season's fires burned towards the coast linking up with other, smaller fires on the way. The towns and cities that are in the hills lead a perilous existence but the expansion of Sydney's suburbs has moved people a lot closer to the danger. I recall a short, twenty minute drive from Ryde would get one into nice, tinder dry bush country. Maybe it's a bit similar to the urban sprawl in CA with people building their dream homes in mountain canyons and the like?

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 11, 2021, 5:16 pm

Ryde has enough bushland to sustain some very nasty fires, it borders on Lane Cove national park. I was fighting fires there in 1994 as my very first time on the end of a hose. One brick and tile house 200 metres from me literally blew up with a substantial mushroom cloud of smoke as the roof blew off due to the raging fire that rushed in when the windows shattered. From being intact to being blown apart took under 10 seconds. Some Greens, and I stress some, do make uninformed statements about HR's, it was what made the Victorian fires in 2009 so bad, the greenies controlling the council around Healesville should have been up on manslaughter charges. However, where I served most of my time was Gosford and the local greens were very supportive of the RFS strategies. Those that oppose HR's should put on there yellow PPS, and man a hose when a big one erupts, they would change their minds very, very quickly.

Yes, I do remember Trump making some damn foolish statements when the California fires were on, of course he had no damned idea where Finland was, but wanted to point score against a state that is decidedly red.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 11, 2021, 5:18 pm

tamada wrote:
May 11, 2021, 4:11 pm

I recall an excellent presentation that showed last season's fires were caused by lightning strikes during storms in the deeper forests in the more remote hills. There's no way of controlling those events and agree that it's impossible to rake these forests ........
Indeed ..... and a reminder.

(Sorry Sport - another one "put out by the lefty journos at abc, the doomsdayers channel.")

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » May 11, 2021, 5:50 pm

As the prof said you need to burn the fuel before the fire seasons

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 11, 2021, 6:01 pm

noosard wrote:
May 11, 2021, 5:50 pm
As the prof said you need to burn the fuel before the fire seasons
Easier said than done.

A hazard reduction takes a lot of planning and can only be done under the right conditions. Typically you need around 6 weeks with no rain so the leaf litter dries out from top to bottom. Then a calculation is made taking into consideration moisture content, fuel load, temperature and wind speed/direction. If the scorch height exceeds 1.5 metres it is a no go. Wet winters mean that there are few HR's, all you need is 3 or 4 wet winters and you have a fuel build up that is just itching to sustain a big fire, this has happened quite a bit over the past two decades with climate change. Heavy rain followed by very hot dry conditions is becoming the norm

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 11, 2021, 6:31 pm

I'm sure for a few million quid backhander and a tax rebate that nice Mr Dyson can come up with a "Forest Ventilator" oops sorry "Forest Vacuum cleaner" ............. note :- probably wont arrive until the forest has already burnt

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » May 11, 2021, 6:36 pm

jackspratt wrote:
May 11, 2021, 5:18 pm
[quote=tamada post_id=613693 time=1620724277 user_id=3915
(Sorry Sport - another one "put out by the lefty journos at abc, the doomsdayers channel.")
JS, you seem to be fixated with the lefty abc channel, watch other channels and expand your mind.

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » May 11, 2021, 6:37 pm

Whistler, with your experience were the fires of 1939 (Black Friday) and 1983 (Ash Wednesday) a result of climate change?

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » May 11, 2021, 6:52 pm

Should be more of the cultural burning as it used to be.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-21 ... 00082382

Return to “World News”