2020 set to be the year of the leccy car

World news discussion forum
yartims
udonmap.com

2020 set to be the year of the leccy car

Post by yartims » December 25, 2019, 9:19 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... y-analysts

Europe’s carmakers are gearing up to make 2020 the year of the electric car, according to automotive analysts, with a wave of new models launching as the world’s biggest manufacturers scramble to lower the carbon dioxide emissions of their products.

Previous electric models have mostly been targeted at niche markets, but 2020 will see the launch of flagship electric models with familiar names, such as the Mini, the Vauxhall Corsa and the Fiat 500.

The number of electric vehicle (EV) models available to European buyers will jump from fewer than 100 to 175 by the end of 2020, according to data firm IHS Markit. By 2025 there will be more than 330, based on an analysis of company announcements.
How green are electric cars?
Read more

The new supply will cater to a rapidly expanding market as demand for petrol-powered vehicles gradually recedes. UK EV sales will rise from 3.4% of all vehicles sold in 2019 to 5.5% in 2020 – or from 80,000 this year to 131,000 in 2020 – according to forecasts from Bloomberg New Energy Finance. By 2026 electric vehicle sales will account for a fifth of sales in the UK, the forecasts show. Similar predictions from LMC Automotive suggest 540,000 electric cars will be sold across the EU in 2020, up from 319,000 over the course of 2019.

New European Union rules come into force on 1 January that will heavily penalise carmakers if average carbon dioxide emissions from the cars they sell rise above 95g per kilometre. If carmakers exceed that limit, they will have to pay a fine of €95 (£79) for every gram over the target, multiplied by the total number of cars they sell.

the only good Tory is a lavatory

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Re: 2020 set to be the year of the leccy car

Post by Stantheman » December 26, 2019, 5:03 am

Really think it will be a while for the electric car's to dominate the market as much better battery life, and faster charging without special equipment at a normal home is still not here.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » December 26, 2019, 9:07 am

Was out at the MG center on the Khon Kaen road recently, and their new electric car looks quite good.
1.12 million.
Was offered a test drive but was only there to drop off wifey’s car.
I’ll assume more and more specific charging points will eventually emerge around UT in the major shopping complexes as is the case in Australia and elsewhere. Will also assume there is a cost to plug in?
Was strange to look under the bonnet and not see an engine.
If curious might be an idea to drop by and test drive to see how a EV operates.
Toyota have their Hybrids but this is the next step of fully EV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » December 26, 2019, 11:01 am

Are electric vehicles really that green? I did some research and decided that charging the batteries with solar would improve things a lot. When the manufactures come up with a battery pack that can be easily removed that would be a major improvement. People drive more during daylight hours than after dark. With a battery pack that can be swapped at home, One battery pack could be charging during the day while the other is in use. During cloudy and rainy days, the charging could be done on the electric grid.

Rather than scrapping diesel engines, more research should be devoted to making them cleaner. They already emit less CO2 than gasoline engines and are much more efficient. Less fuel burning, less pollution.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » December 26, 2019, 11:38 am

According to what I can see, the top 10 Vehicle sales Countries, by numbers are as follows

China 20.38 Million
USA 14.11 Million
Japan 3.66 Million
India 2.46 Million
Germany 3.30 Million
UK 2.37 Million
France 2.20 Million
Brazil 2.17 Million
Italy 1.77 Million
Canada 1.67 Million

Its not about how many electrical vehicle manufacturers there will be its about which Countries will legislate to buy them and the mentality/likes/dislikes of the people in these top 10 countries as to who will want to buy an Electric Car

I just can't see the USA, China or India which apparently account for over 2/3 of the new car purchases, pushing through legislation in their respective countries, that force or encourage people to purchase Electric cars over traditionally run Diesel/Petrol/LPG vehicles. Too may support industries and hence jobs are currently geared to support these traditionally run Diesel/Petrol/LPG vehicles and few politicians will want to upset this applecart.

So one has to rely on the likes and dislikes of the people in each country to expand the market for electric car sales. I just can’t see it taking off in a big way in either China or India.

I am skeptical as to whether the elctrical car will really benefit the world environment and at the same time think the traditionally run Diesel/Petrol/LPG vehicles will still dominate the markets of Asia (China & India) and South East Asia for many more years to come. Certainly for the next 50 or so years, in my view, which will see me out.

https://focus2move.com/world-car-market/

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » December 26, 2019, 12:13 pm

Could have been a major boost for Boris's Brexsit plans, shame Maggie got to the British Motor Industry and Brokesit first :-&

yartims
udonmap.com

Post by yartims » December 26, 2019, 7:55 pm

https://www.abcmoney.co.uk/2019/10/10/a ... stockholm/

Andrea Rossi E-Cat (Energy catalyzer) SK model is to be demonstrated in Stockholm in January 2020. This small fusion energy device, in a box less than 12" square, is said to be able to produce electricity in a self-sustaining mode, of enough strength to .....bla bla bla

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » December 29, 2019, 6:00 am

Might be a good idea if they think a little more about the dust to dust effect of the materials in the batteries.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » December 30, 2019, 7:14 pm

Rossi's E-Cat has never been independently peer reviewed. For any tests Rossi maintained control over the entire process or key parts of it.. https://www.realclearscience.com/2019/0 ... 85025.html

Not to worry on electric car development. Do a little googling on battery research. There are batteries on the verge of production that are 7 times more power dense that can charge in less than 10 minutes.. When they hit full production it will revolutionize electric car tech... The Environmentalists in their prognostications never seem to figure in advances that certainly will be made..
Dave

yartims
udonmap.com

Post by yartims » December 30, 2019, 9:08 pm

trouble is china makes 70% of car batteries which is not what we want fuel cells made at home in europe is what we want ..many cells are about to hit the market if oil companies dont lock them i n a cupboard and throw away the key

Return to “World News”