ClimateChange - EndTime 2050 - Disturbing Report Sheds Light on

World news discussion forum
mak
udonmap.com

Re: ClimateChange - EndTime 2050 - Disturbing Report Sheds Light on

Post by mak » February 15, 2022, 11:25 am

Where has all the water gone, long time passing?
Attachments
4BidwellBar.jpg.crdownload.jpg
Bidwell bridge.jpg

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » February 16, 2022, 2:16 am

Where is this? California?
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » February 16, 2022, 6:32 am

If the doomsayers reports become a reality wind power will be very stressful time to some poor punters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » February 16, 2022, 10:26 pm

One issue is the unwillingness of governments to take it seriously. The town i used to live in was an army town, but when the UK downsized the army yet again it became surplus to requirements. It was intended to redevelop it as an ecotown, with new rail connection, lots of preserved woodland/heathland and all new houses would be built to highest insulation levels, passive solar heating and solar panels. Four proof of concept houses were built and an ecocentre opened....

But then the recession, and the housing developers claimed the new houses were too expensive. 10 years on we have the usual high density brick boxes, not a solar panel in sight when built, no transport services, so a car is a must, and awaiting the new town centre. They did get a new school and sports centre though.

The houses were not any cheaper, and we now have energy costs rising by 50% this year alone. I think all the central heating was gas.....

What an utter waste of an opportunity, just to save (for the developers, not the customers) a few pennies.

pepesgrill
udonmap.com

Post by pepesgrill » February 17, 2022, 3:25 am

i started noticing something very peculiar, the only
place you even see " trees" anymore is on temple
grounds. some of them approach a small forest

big trees , really big . i guess they're protected
there. don't know what kinda wood that even is

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » February 17, 2022, 4:38 pm

I'd say there are more trees today than 49 years ago when I arrived in Thailand as a yoaung soldier. Then there was a constant stream of trucks hauling huge teakwood logs from all over Issan down to Bangkok as the forests were clearcut. Here's an aerial view of around NonSoong back then... This is looking northwards from Nong Soong over the then 7th RRFS Camp Ramasun towards Udon Thani. You can see there are few trees.
7th RRFS aerial shot from Southwest 1975.jpg
Dave

pepesgrill
udonmap.com

Post by pepesgrill » February 18, 2022, 12:20 am

i guess theres a need for reforestation

nothing like some natural shade. ( back home
too) turn everything into a parking lot

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » February 18, 2022, 9:45 am

Reforestation seems to be the missing link in all conversation.
There’s no money in trees being planted to remain for eternity and not chopped down.
Govt’s have a short time train of thought and procrastinate on decision making.
As mentioned earlier money is the Ace card in their pack.
Huge amounts of investment in artificial remedies continues on the back of a perceived CC. Planting trees is the non artificial. Look at the amount being spent on artificial technology.
Half a trillion dollars being spent on a new smart city in Saudi Arabia. Green Hydrogen, solar and wind will power this city. No mention on the huge non green budget to get this negative footprint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » February 18, 2022, 10:22 am

Man is short sighted. Third world countries still dump their sewage into rivers and governments are still busily clearing the Rain Forests. The Rain Forests are (were) considered the lungs of the earth.

There is no money to build proper sewage treatment plants in poor countries and we cannot stop countries from clearing the Rain Forests in their own country. What will be will be. As for myself, I don't worry about things I have no control over.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 18, 2022, 10:49 am

I recall maybe 12 to 15 years ago when I would see hundreds of those blue and white 'Double A' paper company 18-wheelers on the highways between Pattaya and Korat via Kabinburi. There was a fast-growing wood they would plant in stands all over the place. It looked like they either bought or leased fallow land, planting these trees and harvesting them for their paper mills. I think I read that the trees were something similar to eucalyptus and one or two crops seemed to decimate the natural soil nutrients. Seemed to fit what I witnessed with some smaller stands disappearing fast and few replanted. Looked like a win-win greening exercise but maybe appearances were deceptive?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » February 18, 2022, 11:14 am

tamada wrote:
February 18, 2022, 10:49 am
I recall maybe 12 to 15 years ago when I would see hundreds of those blue and white 'Double A' paper company 18-wheelers on the highways between Pattaya and Korat via Kabinburi. There was a fast-growing wood they would plant in stands all over the place. It looked like they either bought or leased fallow land, planting these trees and harvesting them for their paper mills. I think I read that the trees were something similar to eucalyptus and one or two crops seemed to decimate the natural soil nutrients. Seemed to fit what I witnessed with some smaller stands disappearing fast and few replanted. Looked like a win-win greening exercise but maybe appearances were deceptive?
Eucalyptus is used for paper and your correct , two or if your lucky three cuts then they become too thin. Then you have to pay for a digger to remove the stumps.seen many places where they seemed to just abandon the land after.
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » February 18, 2022, 11:58 am

There is a further problem with Eucalyptus in Thailand, it is not a friendly tree for Thai wildlife, unlike Australia where Koalas eat the leaves and various birds thrive on the flowers, the same species do not exist in Thailand. Replacing indigenous trees within Thailand might be OK to harvest poles and material for paper making, but like Oil Palm plantations, it has ecological ramifications.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 19, 2022, 10:29 am

The tree huggers are not gonna like this one little bit.

Shell revives huge North Sea gas field to boost Britain's energy security

Shell has submitted new plans to develop a huge gas field in the North Sea, six months after they were rejected by environmental regulators, in an attempt to help Britain become less dependent on foreign suppliers.

The FTSE 100 company said it wanted the Jackdaw field, about 250km east of Aberdeen, to start operating by 2025.

It argued it would make "a significant contribution to UK energy security" and could be developed with relatively low carbon emissions.

The submission comes as the Government encourages UK producers to increase output to reduce reliance on Russian oil and gas.

The people of Aberdeen will be sending a warm letter of thanks to Vladimir Putin.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... -security/

In other industry-related news, Germany has had a recent retrospective on their potential North Sea gas assets but it appears that any seismic surveying required to re-assess these small reserves will be heavily obstructed by existing and planned wind farm development. The Greens argue that at best, the recoverable gas would only be sufficient for 2 months supply (like they know exploration geophysics).

In the face of soaring petrol and diesel prices, The German finance minister has rejected a proposed temporary cut in sales tax from 19% to 7% for petrol and diesel as well as being against introducing a speed limit on German motorways.

Some folks just can't help themselves.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 19, 2022, 3:47 pm

As a mid to pale green believer (getting greener by the day), I subscribe to the belief that the biggest issue we face is not to move off fossil fuel, but to manage that process. It is not feasible to ditch every petrol, diesel or gas powered cars or generators, etc.

Not too many governments seem to have a cohesive plan to manage that change, keep the economy ticking over while protecting the livlihoods of those that will lose jobs in the process.

As for the impact of CO2, I suspect it is too late, the recovery from rapant climate change is too advanced to halt, we can only slow it down a little bit, but it will take many decades for the planet to recover.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 19, 2022, 4:14 pm

Well Whistler we wont have a choice in some 47 years as Oil will be gone
https://www.worldometers.info/oil/
Wind Nuclear Tidal solar and maybe Hydrogen from water will be what we are using

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 19, 2022, 4:50 pm

Whistler wrote:
March 19, 2022, 3:47 pm
As a mid to pale green believer (getting greener by the day), I subscribe to the belief that the biggest issue we face is not to move off fossil fuel, but to manage that process. It is not feasible to ditch every petrol, diesel or gas powered cars or generators, etc.

Not too many governments seem to have a cohesive plan to manage that change, keep the economy ticking over while protecting the livlihoods of those that will lose jobs in the process.

As for the impact of CO2, I suspect it is too late, the recovery from rapant climate change is too advanced to halt, we can only slow it down a little bit, but it will take many decades for the planet to recover.
As one who participated in the filthy plundering of earths resources by oil and gas companies in some of the planets most God forsaken lands, I can only agree.

New infrastructure needs to be in place to support these new green energy sources. So far, that most basic of technologies, ie, how to store it and get it to where it's needed is still playing catch up.

WRT to CO2, the capture and storage of it is still a bit vague and largely a mystery to me but since I am now involved with the first steps of converting the almost depleted gas fields under Liverpool Bay into the UK's first carbon storage facility, I am learning new tricks.

Then I'm off to Australia's northwest shelf to do some of regular, old-school, dirty gas exploration.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 19, 2022, 4:54 pm

Doodoo wrote:
March 19, 2022, 4:14 pm
Well Whistler we wont have a choice in some 47 years as Oil will be gone
https://www.worldometers.info/oil/
Wind Nuclear Tidal solar and maybe Hydrogen from water will be what we are using
Meh... worldometers don't do exploration geophysics either.

However, if I was a betting man, I would say Hydrogen is the future. I recall reading that DAF, one of Europe's biggest makers of diesel-powered heavy trucks are getting heavily into Hydrogen and it's not a green-washing exercise either.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 19, 2022, 5:02 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:
February 17, 2022, 4:38 pm
I'd say there are more trees today than 49 years ago when I arrived in Thailand as a yoaung soldier. Then there was a constant stream of trucks hauling huge teakwood logs from all over Issan down to Bangkok as the forests were clearcut. Here's an aerial view of around NonSoong back then... This is looking northwards from Nong Soong over the then 7th RRFS Camp Ramasun towards Udon Thani. You can see there are few trees.

7th RRFS aerial shot from Southwest 1975.jpg
Not too many trees now either.
NonSoongNow.jpg
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 20, 2022, 11:52 am

I doubt that any single solution will emerge. Wind, solar, tidal, hyrdro and hydrogen will likley all play a part. Storage in areas where there are decent hills can be pumped water. Batteries yes, but very expensive. Chemical storage is also an option where hydrogen can be extracted from things like ammonia.

Better food for cattle, different formulations for concrete, both contribute huge amounts of methane and C02, there is no single silver bullet.

Doodoo 40 years off is too far away, we needed to address this issue decades ago for environmental reasons, not out of fear of running out of carbon base minerals.

Return to “World News”