Innocent Australian woman gunned down by USA Police

World news discussion forum
Zidane
udonmap.com

Innocent Australian woman gunned down by USA Police

Post by Zidane » July 18, 2017, 11:41 am

Unbelievable that this could happen......what sort of training do these guys get ? =; RIP
Justine Damond.jpg
The "heartbroken" American fiancé of an Australian shot dead by a US police officer has said they have received almost no information from officials.
Don Damond said his wife-to-be, Justine Damond, was gunned down after calling police to report a possible sexual assault in their quiet neighbourhood.
He said they were "desperate" to find out how Saturday's shooting in Minneapolis, Minnesota, happened.
The officers' body cameras were not turned on at the time.
The shooting happened in a relatively affluent area, where violent crime is rare.
Mr Damond told a news conference outside his home on Monday evening: "Our hearts are broken and we are utterly devastated by the loss of Justine.
"As you know it was Justine who called 911 on Saturday evening, reporting what she believed was an active sexual assault occurring nearby.
"Sadly her family and I have been provided with almost no additional information from law enforcement regarding what happened after police arrived."
Mr Damond continued: "Our lives are forever changed as a result of knowing her. She was so kind and so darn funny."
Forty-year-old Ms Damond was living in Minneapolis with her fiancé, whose surname she had already adopted.
The Minneapolis Star-Tribune, citing three sources with knowledge of the incident, reported that Ms Damond was dressed in her pyjamas and approached the driver's side door to talk to the officer at the wheel after police arrived.
The officer in the passenger seat, identified by local media as Mohamed Noor, drew his gun and shot Ms Damond through the driver's window, the newspaper reported.

Mr Noor's lawyer, Tom Plunkett, confirmed on Monday that his client had fired his weapon, killing Ms Damond.
Mohamed Noor fired his gun and killed Ms Damond, his lawyer says
Ms Damond's stepson, Zach, railed against police in a Facebook video.
"America sucks," he said. "These cops need to get trained differently. I need to move out of here."
The Department of Public Safety's Bureau of Criminal Apprehension said an investigation is under way and authorities are looking into whether there is any video of the incident.
Minneapolis Police Chief Janee Harteau called Damond's death "tragic" in a statement on Monday.
"I've asked for the investigation to be expedited to provide transparency and to answer as many questions as quickly as we can," she said.
The two officers involved in the shooting are on paid administrative leave.
Minneapolis Mayor Betsy Hodges said she was "heartsick and deeply disturbed".
She told a news conference: "I share the same questions other people have about why we don't have body camera footage of it, and I hope to get answers to that in the days coming."
Ms Damond, nee Justine Ruszczyk, taught meditation classes at the Lake Harriet Spiritual Community in Minneapolis.
She studied to be a veterinarian before relocating to the US, where she is believed to have been for at least the last three years.
According to her website, she is a "qualified yoga instructor, a personal health and life coach and meditation teacher".
About 200 neighbours, family members and residents gathered for a vigil on Sunday night where she died.
Over the past few years the US has seen a series of civilian killings at the hands of police that have caused widespread concern and criticism.

Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

wazza
udonmap.com

Re: Innocent Australian woman gunned down by USA Police

Post by wazza » July 18, 2017, 12:15 pm

Police didnt turn on their Body Cameras, Vehicle Camera didnt capture it .

Shot multiple times.

Google Police shootings - Fatalities in US and depending on what source, 3 per day

jimjay
udonmap.com

Post by jimjay » July 18, 2017, 8:32 pm

wazza wrote:
July 18, 2017, 12:15 pm
Police didnt turn on their Body Cameras, Vehicle Camera didnt capture it .

Shot multiple times.

Google Police shootings - Fatalities in US and depending on what source, 3 per day
True indeed 3 per day minimum, -I think those cops went in with the intention of murdering whatever intruder they encountered. They intentionally turned off all cameras and went in and oops gunned down the resident. For all we know it was some racoons digging through the trash that she heard when she placed the call for law enforcement help. She probably never thought for a minute she'd be dead minutes later. If her Son hadn't been as vocal we'd never have heard about this.

One dead and now the official cover-up will happen as The City won't want to pay up. Their lawyers will drag out the investigation, and any court proceedings, and the killer cops will get off scot free as per usual. Chronic abuse of power. No citizen is safe.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » July 18, 2017, 10:58 pm

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » July 19, 2017, 6:11 am

I think the officer thought she was an unarmed black man.

Raoul Duke
udonmap.com

Post by Raoul Duke » July 19, 2017, 7:07 am

"Chronic abuse of power. No citizen is safe."
Sounds familiar. :-"
Voiceover for hire.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 21, 2017, 11:34 am

I only lived and worked in the US for 10 years but one thing I did learn was never to approach a cop in his cop car up close let alone from the side, in darkness and dressed in pajamas. I once witnessed a car wreck and called the emergency services. When the cops showed up, I was standing well clear of the wreck, in their headlights with arms away from my body and open palms turned forwards.... but they still drew their sidearms! OK, it was a borderline ---- neighborhood but it was my first (and last) ass pucker at their expense.

teegee

Post by teegee » July 22, 2017, 2:46 am

tamada wrote:
July 21, 2017, 11:34 am
with arms away from my body and open palms turned forwards
That's the Scarecrow position in England :D

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » July 22, 2017, 9:01 am

What do you get when you cross a liberal feminist police chief with a liberal feminist Muslim-loving mayor?

A sociopathic Somali police officer and a dead Australian whose only crime was being white and female.
tamada wrote:
July 21, 2017, 11:34 am
I only lived and worked in the US for 10 years but one thing I did learn was never to approach a cop in his cop car up close let alone from the side, in darkness and dressed in pajamas. ...
Excellent advice. =D>
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

JR
udonmap.com

Post by JR » July 22, 2017, 11:20 am

The mayor has now sacked the chief of police. No further notice yet about the killer except that he and his partner are on paid leave! Or transferred to inactive posts as is said in other countries.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » July 22, 2017, 11:34 am

The deceased was shot by an american police officer in an american state.

In Australia it would be normal to approach the police car on arrival if you were the initial caller to confirm the incident etc.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 22, 2017, 1:10 pm

wazza wrote:
July 22, 2017, 11:34 am

In Australia it would be normal to approach the police car on arrival if you were the initial caller to confirm the incident etc.
You sure that still applies? Sounds very old fashioned and homely to me. If still the case, I wonder how long it will take for the Australian police to get all finger-twitchy defensive though? What with all these wannabe terrorists and punks masquerading as such.

Not sure if the walking up to an armed cop in any country is very wise these days. Wait until they ask.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 22, 2017, 1:14 pm

Lone Star wrote:
July 22, 2017, 9:01 am
A sociopathic Somali police officer ...
What? Only white American trigger happy cops can justifiably claim that they were "in fear for their life"? I guess all the others must be guilty of being just too judgmental and bigoted.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » July 22, 2017, 1:36 pm

wazza wrote:

That would be so in many developed countries. The cops would half be expecting the caller to front up. Seemingly not in the US?
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 22, 2017, 2:23 pm

GT93 wrote:
July 22, 2017, 1:36 pm
wazza wrote:

That would be so in many developed countries. The cops would half be expecting the caller to front up. Seemingly not in the US?
Does it still work that way in Otara, Otahuhu and Flat Bush?

How about Queen Street leading down to the waterfront on a Saturday night?

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » July 22, 2017, 2:39 pm

May be not that way if you're worried about the neighbours thinking you're ratting on a neighbour. Anyhow the crims are usually from further away. Heaps of people would assist the police if they thought a woman had been attacked. Well OK, I like to think so.

Anyhow, the cops aren't tooled up here although at night many Auckland cops might have access to a firearm in their police car. I've been stopped at least twice by the cops in the dark over the last 20 years in Oz or NZ. It never occurred to me that my life might be in danger in dealing with them. I've even been arrested.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » July 22, 2017, 4:21 pm

tamada wrote:
July 22, 2017, 1:14 pm
Lone Star wrote:
July 22, 2017, 9:01 am
A sociopathic Somali police officer ...
What? Only white American trigger happy cops can justifiably claim that they were "in fear for their life"? I guess all the others must be guilty of being just too judgmental and bigoted.
I'm dealing with this case individually. I don't lump all police officers and all uses of deadly force in the same basket.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » July 22, 2017, 4:27 pm

Why do you think sociopathic? I understood there were a couple of rookies in the police car. Perhaps just a rookie error?

You'd think a couple of rookies shouldn't be together at night. Policing 101 although I don't know the resource constraints facing police management.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » July 22, 2017, 4:37 pm

GT93 wrote:
July 22, 2017, 4:27 pm
Why do you think sociopathic? I understood there were a couple of rookies in the police car. Perhaps just a rookie error?

You'd think a couple of rookies shouldn't be together at night. Policing 101 although I don't know the resource constraints facing police management.
Reports I've read indicate that the officer who did the shooting had either almost 2 years or a little over 2 years on the force. That's not a rookie. I've never read anything that indicated the number of years of experience of the officer driving the vehicle, but he didn't do the shooting.

Also, the officer who did the shooting has either 2 or 3 outstanding citizen complaints against him.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » July 22, 2017, 4:42 pm

Well it looks like the Mayor, Betsy Wots her name, has sacked the Police Chief and now the public are looking for her head next.
Maybe this is the correct action? - get these 'richard' head politicians to take more responsibility for their administrations, budgets, blunders and staff training!

Yanks and their guns = "Spare me days"!!!
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Return to “World News”