RIP Glenn Frey

World news discussion forum
Dingo
udonmap.com

RIP Glenn Frey

Post by Dingo » January 19, 2016, 6:41 am

Eagles founding member and guitarist Glenn Frey has died aged 67 after a battle with illness.

The US rock band made the announcement on their website and official Facebook page, telling fans Frey succumbed to complications from rheumatoid arthritis, acute ulcerative Colitis and pneumonia in New York.

"The Frey family would like to thank everyone who joined Glenn to fight this fight and hoped and prayed for his recovery," the band wrote.

"Words can neither describe our sorrow, nor our love and respect for all that he has given to us, his family, the music community [and] millions of fans worldwide."

The Detroit-born Frey and drummer and singer Don Henley co-founded the Eagles in 1971 in Los Angeles after playing as a backup band for rock singer Linda Ronstadt.

The group blended rock with country music influences to become one of the most popular bands of the 1970s, with hit songs such as Hotel California, Peaceful Easy Feeling, Already Gone and Take It Easy. The band broke up in 1980.

Frey wrote or co-wrote with Henley many of the group's songs.

"He was like a brother to me; we were family, and like most families, there was some dysfunction," Henley said in a statement.

"But, the bond we forged 45 years ago was never broken, even during the 14 years that the Eagles were dissolved."

After the Eagles disbanded, Frey had a successful solo career, recording the songs The One You Love, Smuggler's Blues and The Heat Is On.

Then, in 1994, the Eagles reunited and released an album titled Hell Freezes Over. The name jokingly referred to Henley's previous statement that the band would only get back together when "hell freezes over".

The Eagles were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1998.

"I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet," Henley said.

One of my all time favorite artists and musician. "Enjoy your stay at the Hotel California" Glenn.

RIP and condolences to all who loved and enjoyed his music.

Dingo

jingjai
udonmap.com

RIP Glenn Frey

Post by jingjai » January 19, 2016, 2:08 pm

Another loss.
RIP. Many, many good memories.

Good article with videos:

Glenn Frey, Already Gone: Remembering the Late Eagle With His Greatest Band and Solo Tracks:

https://www.yahoo.com/music/glenn-frey- ... 09281.html

Aardvark
udonmap.com

RIP Glenn Frey

Post by Aardvark » January 19, 2016, 4:10 pm

I wish the Grimm Reaper would take a rest .... RIP ....

BigBubba
udonmap.com

RIP Glenn Frey

Post by BigBubba » January 20, 2016, 12:44 pm

You really realize you're getting older when so many of your friends and favorite performers are dropping left and right. Another rock and roll legend bites the dust.

I vividly remember walking into a stereo equipment retail store in the early 70's. I was in the market for a whole new high end system. As the clerk was demonstrating turntables and diamond styluses, he chose to play a new hit song "Take it Easy". Yes, vinyl was individual then, something many youngsters have never seen. Ironically, in September 1975, as I was driving from Memphis to L.A. my overnight stop after 20 hours of driving was Winslow, AZ.

Restaurant today on main street in Winslow, AZ:
20150922_115427a.jpg

Btw, my trip to L.A. was intended to be 2 weeks to visit my mom, who was managing an apartment building at Sunset Bl and Crescent Heights Bl., in West Hollywood. I was 28 years old and recently divorced. I stayed 5 years. I digress.

R.I.P. one of the greatest... Glenn Frey
Every day I wake up is a good day.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

RIP Glenn Frey

Post by stattointhailand » March 8, 2016, 8:27 pm

And RIP Lana Rae Miesner ........ another victim of their stupid gun laws :roll:
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/wife-eagles-s ... html?nhp=1

Return to “World News”