Thorpie Gay

World news discussion forum
downunder
udonmap.com

Thorpie Gay

Post by downunder » July 13, 2014, 1:45 pm

Ian Thorpe has come out and declared he is gay on Sir Michael Parkinson show. Obviously it has been a big concern for him. You are still one of the best swimmers ever to represent your country regardless of your situation.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Thorpie Gay

Post by jackspratt » July 13, 2014, 2:02 pm

Parkinson straight!

Who gives a ----? #-o

macca46
udonmap.com

Thorpie Gay

Post by macca46 » July 13, 2014, 4:16 pm

You are dead set right who gives a rats a-sre I met him in 1999 at a luncheon at the SCG when he was at the the height of his career was a nice guy then and my opinion will not change GO THORPEDO and enjoy your life

Alchai
udonmap.com

Thorpie Gay

Post by Alchai » July 13, 2014, 4:29 pm

macca46 wrote:"I met him in 1999 at a luncheon" "was a nice guy then"
Well Macca, now you know why :lol:
We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now

GT93
udonmap.com

Thorpie Gay

Post by GT93 » July 13, 2014, 4:45 pm

Sports people, even retired sports people, have to be brave to come out. Sod all of them do. Anyhow, it's not really others' business. Sport probably lags a long way behind community attitudes to homosexuality. Why is an interesting question.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Thorpie Gay

Post by BobHelm » July 13, 2014, 4:57 pm

As I list swimming down there with basket ball in the 'sports to avoid' section it really does not matter much to me who or what he is...

EXCEPT he went out of his way to deny the fact in his 2012 autobiography 'This Is Me'.

Gay I have no problem with, deceit I do....

I suspect that denying the truth has a great deal to do with the causes of his well reported personal demons over the last few years..

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Thorpie Gay

Post by jackspratt » July 13, 2014, 5:06 pm

BobHelm wrote:As I list swimming down there with basket ball in the 'sports to avoid' section it really does not matter much to me who or what he is...

EXCEPT he went out of his way to deny the fact in his 2012 autobiography 'This Is Me'.

Gay I have no problem with, deceit I do....

I suspect that denying the truth has a great deal to do with the causes of his well reported personal demons over the last few years..
His denial probably says a lot more about Australian society and culture than it does about Thorpe.

Won't it be nice when "deceit" about your religion/food preferences/sexuality etc will no longer be seen as necessary for high profile people in all stations of life. =D>

Australia still has a fair way to go in my experience.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Thorpie Gay

Post by BobHelm » July 13, 2014, 5:24 pm

Maybe Jack...
BUT, he did have the option either not to do a book at all, or not mention his sexuality in it.
Those decisions are really down to him - no matter what pressure society puts on you.

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Thorpie Gay

Post by marjamlew » July 13, 2014, 5:32 pm

Has been widely suggested tonight that he stayed in the closet because he feared losing corporate support and that his management may have played a role in the decision making along the way.
But really is there anyone who didn't know he was gay from day dot and is suprised by the revelation? If so you gotta get out more.
And Jack your right about Australia. Had he been born Thai would his sexuality have ever been as issue?
Watch Me!!

downunder
udonmap.com

Thorpie Gay

Post by downunder » July 13, 2014, 6:38 pm

J.S., You blame Australian Society of which you are supposed to be a part of, not only do Australia have Gays, every Country in the world has them. I am more convinced than ever you are a pom who knocks Australia at every given opportunity. One persons denial cannot be contributed to the Society of the whole of Australia. Your Avatar tells me what you are all about, the mind boggles. Bogan, or just a Leo ------?, maybe an Albert Dunger, certainly not a TRUE Aussie.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Thorpie Gay

Post by jackspratt » July 13, 2014, 6:55 pm

downunder wrote:J.S., You blame Australian Society of which you are supposed to be a part of, not only do Australia have Gays, every Country in the world has them. I am more convinced than ever you are a pom who knocks Australia at every given opportunity. One persons denial cannot be contributed to the Society of the whole of Australia. Your Avatar tells me what you are all about, the mind boggles. Bogan, or just a Leo ------?, maybe an Albert Dunger, certainly not a TRUE Aussie.
I agree with you on one thing d_under .......... your mind truly is boggling. ;)

croc
udonmap.com

Thorpie Gay

Post by croc » July 13, 2014, 7:37 pm

Interesting, I can never remember seeing him with a girl by his side, but I agree with the comment "Who gives a ----", the guy did great things for Australia and Australian Swimming,

If he was in the Entertainment Bubble of Movies and Music we would not even hear about it.

Leave the Bloke alone is my opinion, but he probably made a decent earner for the Interview, good luck to him.

Earnest
udonmap.com

Thorpie Gay

Post by Earnest » July 14, 2014, 1:49 am

downunder wrote:J.S., You blame Australian Society of which you are supposed to be a part of, not only do Australia have Gays, every Country in the world has them. I am more convinced than ever you are a pom who knocks Australia at every given opportunity. One persons denial cannot be contributed to the Society of the whole of Australia. Your Avatar tells me what you are all about, the mind boggles. Bogan, or just a Leo ------?, maybe an Albert Dunger, certainly not a TRUE Aussie.
jackspratt wrote:I agree with you on one thing d_under .......... your mind truly is boggling. ;)
You two chaps having a verbal sparring session is always worth a read just for sh!ts and giggles. But what the blue blazes is a Leo W@anker or an Albert Dunger? This mincing Pom has only recently learned what a Bogan is. How can I wind up the colonials if you two resort to using colloquial terms not used in the northern hemisphere? :shock:
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Harpo
udonmap.com

Thorpie Gay

Post by Harpo » July 14, 2014, 4:31 am

BobHelm wrote:Maybe Jack...
BUT, he did have the option either not to do a book at all, or not mention his sexuality in it.
Those decisions are really down to him - no matter what pressure society puts on you.
Bob Helm....mate if you were in his situation, would you have the internal fortitude to take that sort of pressure that society throws at you?

So let's think it through, he is an Australian, and Olympic ,high achiever in swimming,he has a high profile in swimming on the world stage, that no one can deign. He is constantly under the scrutiny of the world press. and other so called arm chair experts, and critics I might add. How many gays that have high profiles, have denied their true sexuality, in public or in the press, many for a lot of years, before coming out, 10, 20, 1000, who gives a F**k really. It just so happens that Ian Thorpe is one of them. Give the bloke a break Bob H........harpo
Great Southern Land

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Thorpie Gay

Post by BobHelm » July 14, 2014, 6:52 am

Ton Daley has just had the strength of character to do exactly what Thorpe didn't Harpo.

More importantly, he didn't lie about it...

downunder
udonmap.com

Thorpie Gay

Post by downunder » July 14, 2014, 9:01 am

Earnest, they are characters created by Paul Hogan [Crock Dundee] depicting stupid people doing and saying stupid things, same as J.S. You can see these characters on utube. Google Paul Hogan on utube

J.S. is a typical MANNIE; who in turn is an unusual person; someone who acts and says things in a ridiculous way; someone who dumbly thinks other people care about what he is saying.

GT93
udonmap.com

Thorpie Gay

Post by GT93 » July 14, 2014, 11:05 am

I think Thorp is a bit of a strange fish. He did well to hide it from the stickybeaks. He must have done some deal with Rupert to keep it quiet.

maaka
udonmap.com

Thorpie Gay

Post by maaka » July 14, 2014, 2:34 pm

He just had to open his mouth and one knew he was as camp as a row of tents...
its all them boys in togs..

GT93
udonmap.com

Thorpie Gay

Post by GT93 » July 15, 2014, 1:41 pm

I prefer watching the women swimmers ... but some of them look like they bat for the other side as well.

socksy
udonmap.com

Thorpie Gay

Post by socksy » July 15, 2014, 2:22 pm

Has the Cricket thread started already GT? :confused:
Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

Return to “World News”