Edward Snowden - Hero or Traitor? (POLL RE-OPENED)

World news discussion forum

How do you view Snowden's actions in (further) exposing the spooks?

Hero - hopefully will find a happy home in a place with no extradition treaty with the US or ally.
57%
Traitor - should be strung up from the nearest tree.
28%
Other - can't make up my mind yet.
15%

Total votes: 101

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 20, 2015, 11:18 am

The revelations just keep on coming. :D

Keep up the good work, Ed. =D>
Explosive documents from whistleblower Edward Snowden allege American and British spies stole SIM card encryption keys from one of the world's largest manufacturers, giving spy agencies the power to monitor mobile communications without approval.

The documents, published by The Intercept, reveal how America's National Security Agency (NSA) and Britain's Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ) targeted Netherlands-based Gemalto, which produces more than 2 billion SIM cards a year for hundreds of wireless network providers worldwide.

Having the encryption keys means agencies can monitor communications without leaving a trace and without needing a warrant or wiretap, according to The Intercept..........

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-20/s ... en/6161364

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » February 20, 2015, 11:36 am

This mongrel still alive.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » February 20, 2015, 11:47 am

Vlad's probably looking after him pretty well sport. If he wants threesomes with young Russian blondes, Vlad might be making sure he's getting some action. Ed's probably already had the occasional sojourn in Pattaya or Havana as well.

If the NSA and GCHQ have done that jack, the Chinese may well have also. So it wasn't just the yanks listening in on Merkel.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » February 20, 2015, 12:10 pm

No wonder they want us to Register our Sims in Thailand ....

wayneor0
udonmap.com

edward snowden wants to return to usa

Post by wayneor0 » March 4, 2015, 8:02 am

if he gets a fair trial :D ok no sweat yep come on home traitor usa will give u a fair go [-o<

GT93
udonmap.com

edward snowden wants to return to usa

Post by GT93 » March 4, 2015, 8:08 am

If so, Vlad's not been looking after Ed well enough. I think Vlad has been a bit distracted of late offing his political opponents and then having to act as if it was nothing at all to do with him. What with Ukraine, a terribly crappy economy and sanctions against his wealthy friends, he's got a lot on his plate at present.

Oswald didn't last long in the old Soviet Union either. It can't be a bundle of laughs.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » March 4, 2015, 11:53 am

you can bet there is a celebrity trail lawyer just frothing at the mouth to represent Snowden pro bono.. I imagine he has several left-wing "handlers" gauging Snowden's potential public support in the States. When everything is aligned he'll come back..
Dave

wayneor0
udonmap.com

Post by wayneor0 » March 4, 2015, 1:46 pm

he will never come back.to many want the traitor dead.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » March 4, 2015, 2:55 pm

David Petraeus, four star general in the US Army, former commander of coalition forces in Iraq and commander of US forces in Afghanistan and former CIA Director also leaked classified material and he got hit by a wet bus ticket:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-04/b ... rd/6280708

"Petraeus, on the other hand, handed to his mistress (who was also writing his biography) eight "black books", which he had kept while commanding in Afghanistan, and which contained information including classified notes, the identities of covert officers, details about US intelligence, code words and accounts of his meetings with President Obama. He then lied to the FBI about it. It wasn't until after the FBI found the books (which he had since retrieved) in an unlocked drawer at his home that he admitted what he had done.

The material Petraeus handed over included, by his admission, information of the highest top-secret status. In intelligence terms, a treasure trove, and its public disclosure would have been ruinous to the USA's interests. Fortunately, none of it was ever made public. As for Petraeus's motivation, well, it was personal gain of the basest kind. He certainly didn't suggest he was acting in the public interest.

There's a second difference between these cases. As noted, Manning got 35 years and Snowden faces 30 years if the Americans ever get their hands on him. Petraeus, by contrast, has reached a plea bargain with US prosecutors under which he will plead guilty to a misdemeanour with a recommended penalty of two years' probation and a $40,000 fine. No jail time."

Petraeus - hero or traitor?

wayneor0
udonmap.com

Post by wayneor0 » March 4, 2015, 3:49 pm

one was a fuk up by a general the other was an attempt to harm the usa comon

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » March 4, 2015, 5:52 pm

If Snowden ever shows up maybe he will be treated the same way. i heard a mention that on CNN I believe that he said he would return if he were given a fair trial. We won't know that till it happens. Here is an interesting twist with his capabilities wonder what kind of Track he has on Mr. Putin, Now that could be real bargaining chip :roll:

Overall his has been pretty quiet since being in Russia.

The good General lose lipped in the sheets.

Has anything being done with the information, did it get released to the press?

Not the smartest thing to do little head over taking the big one. The General had he kept his nose clean may have been a Candidate for President. So he may very well have lot a lot more then a fine an probation.

Anything happening to his girlfriend?

By the way not a taking a stand either way, just curious if the questions I posted have already been answered.
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

wayneor0
udonmap.com

Post by wayneor0 » March 4, 2015, 7:27 pm

by the info we have been given this traitor has done great harm to the western allies, there is no way he can say sry BAGS SLIPS and grease back in.he has made his bed now lie in it traitor

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 4, 2015, 8:30 pm

wayneor0 wrote:one was a fuk up by a general the other was an attempt to harm the usa comon
Can you expand on your thoughts about his intent "to harm the usa (sic)"?
by the info we have been given this traitor has done great harm to the western allies,
Can you provide some further information about this "great harm to the western allies"?

In both cases, I don't believe that exposing illegal actions by the respective governments is a greater harm than those illegal acts. :-k

Either you support the rule of law, or you don't - and you are happy to look away when the government does something convenient, but not legal. [-X

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 4, 2015, 11:11 pm

Exactly. The rule of law is the key, and should be more important to citizens than illegal acts taken by governments.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

wayneor0
udonmap.com

Post by wayneor0 » March 5, 2015, 6:28 am

ok how about if you had information that was illegal etc,would you have used it to prevent the twin towers attack.what the traitor has done is expose an advantage his country had on gaining this kind of info.all countries spy on each other, always have all ways will .every country has traitors, malcontents etc in its population who wish harm on their own govt.the usa spy agents may have used illegal means to keep track of what these people are up to.so what the traitor has done is make it harder for the people of usa to prevent another twin towers.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » March 5, 2015, 7:57 am

At times it's the government and not the malcontents who are the bad guys - e.g. apartheid South Africa, North Korea, Syria ... Governments also change and can slide into being bad guys - e.g. Russia (and that's assuming it ever has been a good guy in recent times). I hope the spying isn't as pervasive as you think wayne. It is rich in irony that Snowden has refuge in Russia. Just as well he can't take refuge in Thailand. That would be a serious threat to the US being able to keep anything secret.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 5, 2015, 1:42 pm

Does this get you excited, wayne?
New Zealand spying on Pacific Island nations and Indonesia, Snowden documents reveal

New Zealand is spying on its Pacific island neighbours and sharing the intelligence with its allies, according to newly released documents.

The papers, leaked by former US National Security Authority (NSA) contractor Edward Snowden and dating back to 2009, claim New Zealand's electronic spy agency intercepted emails, mobile and fixed line phone calls.

Social media messages and other communications were also reportedly tapped in small Pacific states including Fiji, Samoa, Solomon Islands, and French Polynesia.

The documents allege New Zealand's Government Communications Security Bureau (GCSB) passed the information to the 'Five Eyes' intelligence network, which also includes the United States, Britain, Australia and Canada.

The New Zealand Herald newspaper collaborated with US-based website The Intercept to report on the Snowden documents..............

...............Years ago, the GCSB did some spying on the South Pacific but it would be targeting a particular person, a particular time, for a particular purpose," he said.

"What happens now is they've moved to what they call 'full take', which means taking the full lot — everything.

"In other words, everything that's carried by the big satellites that the Pacific island countries mostly rely on is grabbed en masse and made directly available to the national security agency, the US spy boss."...........

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-05/n ... rs/6283052
[-X [-X [-X

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » March 5, 2015, 2:00 pm

Yes, that's a developing story. Apparently there's more to come in the next few days. I think it's disgraceful and NZ's Tory Prime Minister, John Key, now looks permanently shifty on intelligence issues. I barely believe a word he says on intelligence matters. In this area he's nearly as bad as Tony Abbott. No wonder Obama has time to play golf with John Key.

wayneor0
udonmap.com

Post by wayneor0 » March 5, 2015, 2:47 pm

come on y would nz spy on a pacific island nation.to find out if the big cheese there are having taro or potato for tea.three quarters or whatever of their populations live in nz they r treated and funded like they are children of nz.what possible purpose could there be rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr to have a harmless practice spy :D aussi and nz spy agents where playing i spy,someone had a wager that they could down load all the pi nations secrets in under 5 seconds :razz:

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » March 5, 2015, 4:52 pm

Well he gave us something to chat about. He may have put some glitches in the system, But, they are gone now and it's business as usual,

2009 Snowden a bit late on that one :lol: :lol: :lol:
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

Return to “World News”