Edward Snowden - Hero or Traitor? (POLL RE-OPENED)

World news discussion forum

How do you view Snowden's actions in (further) exposing the spooks?

Hero - hopefully will find a happy home in a place with no extradition treaty with the US or ally.
57%
Traitor - should be strung up from the nearest tree.
28%
Other - can't make up my mind yet.
15%

Total votes: 101

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Post by BigBubba » May 29, 2014, 10:44 am

Brian Williams, NBC News, spent 5 hours with him last week in Moscow.

http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/edward-s ... ht-n116851

Every day I wake up is a good day.

tutone
udonmap.com

Post by tutone » May 29, 2014, 12:39 pm

Anyone know where to view full NBC interview with Eric Snowden? Can't seem to find it anywhere on the internet so far.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » September 7, 2014, 10:03 am

Has Snowden done more harmt hen good, I think so.

https://news.yahoo.com/former-nsa-offic ... 00834.html
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » September 16, 2014, 1:47 am

We have a general election on Saturday in New Zealand and one of the issues is spying by our equivalent of the NSA on New Zealanders.

Last night Snowden was beamed in from Russia to speak at an important public meeting on this issue. Amongst other things he's advised there's a NSA facility, possibly two, in NZ. Leaving aside his worldwide impact, I think he's made a useful contribution to NZers understanding of mass government surveillance here.

I gather Vlad's spooks were happy for Snowden to make this contribution. It's not like he was going to say Russkies get out of Ukraine.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » September 16, 2014, 3:07 pm

careful GT, the spooks at Langley have got your number now, because you used certain key words in your message..shhhhh..walls have ears..loose lips sink ships...

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » September 17, 2014, 9:55 am

I take it a nice dog and pony show?
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » September 17, 2014, 10:25 am

Snowden must have one helluva eidetic memory on this stuff since he claimed months ago that he'd gotten rid of all his hard drive information.. Probably gave it to that scab ex-reporter Greenberg.. So, how can this guy remember every little detail of what he supposedly downloaded from the NSA servers? And he magically comes out with the NZ information right about the time of their elections? I think Snowden is dancing to the Russian intelligence Services tune 100%...
Dave

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » September 17, 2014, 3:48 pm

Here's how it was reported in The Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/s ... d-john-key

Key and Kim Dotcom have been trading barbs for over a year while Dotcom has been fighting extradition to the US and Greenwald walks into the middle of this. Snowden is also helping Dotcom. Putin's bureaucrat's would be happy with this as it isn't doing the US any favours.

Dotcom is a very interesting bloke:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Dotcom

This has been a very interesting election campaign in NZ. If they're this interesting we should have them more often.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » September 17, 2014, 6:41 pm

interesting, INTERESTINGGGGGGGGGG...
hell man, it doesnt matter how interesting the bun fight is before the election, we will still end up with either a load of rich toffs who wouldnt know the front end of a wheelbarrow from the back, and who probably think its to carry their loose change around, or end up with a bunch of soft feminine handed namby pambies, who got into politics because they took pychology, or however you spell it, at uni because it was the only class with any seats left, and now they think they can save the world...give me a government full of Ralph Nader's anyday..

and its not very hard for Snowy to remember about NZ, as all the info would fit on he back of a postage stamp..and of course we are being spied on, who isnt...god they are even listening to the German PMs cellphone...big ups to Snowy and his lot I say...

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » September 18, 2014, 5:53 pm

Just out of curiosity does anyone think things here in Thailand are not reviewed?

Or any developed nation for that matter?

Americas Book of Secrets ran a presentation on this today. All I got say is bets watch what you say. It actually goes a lot further then that. I must be the exception never thought it didn't You know the government can look at everything they want. doesn't mean they can use it, to prosecute you. That is what is protected. Not them looking. At least that is how I see it.

The problem is if it misused don't see many checks and balances.

But it is the world we live in today.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 18, 2014, 11:04 am

Life seems to be normalising for Snowden - at least as far as that is possible living with the shadow of the US security apparatus looking over your shoulder.
Edward Snowden's girlfriend living with him in Moscow, film reveals

The mystery of the whereabouts of Edward Snowden’s long-time girlfriend is solved in a documentary that premiered in New York on Friday night: she has been living with the national security whistleblower in Russia since July.

The surprise revelation in the documentary, filmed by Laura Poitras, upends the widespread assumption that Snowden had deserted Lindsay Mills and that she, in a fit of pique, fled Hawaii where they had been living to stay with her parents in mainland US.

Since Snowden, a former NSA contractor, outed himself last year as being behind the biggest leak in US intelligence history, Mills has remained silent, giving no interviews or any hints of her feelings on the subject of her boyfriend or his actions.

The two-hour long documentary, Citizenfour, shows Mills living in Russia with Snowden...............

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2014 ... ry-poitras

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » October 18, 2014, 1:27 pm

Yep I wouldn't want the yankee spooks following my every move. Bob Helm doesn't seem to mind if you read his post in the drone thread. I put that down to him being 20 years older than GT93. And no I wasn't born in 1993. Bob was born well before 1973. I believe Stanley Baldwin was the PM when Bob was born. Stop laughing Zid. :D

I think Ed's going to be an important figure for some decades to come.

JoeThrows
udonmap.com

Post by JoeThrows » October 18, 2014, 1:37 pm

he's done the world a good deed as far as i'm concerned.

http://www.thenation.com/article/173521 ... tleblowers

"In the annals of national security, the Obama administration will long be remembered for its unprecedented crackdown on whistleblowers. Since 2009, it has employed the World War I–era Espionage Act a record six times to prosecute government officials suspected of leaking classified information."

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » October 18, 2014, 4:41 pm

interesting about Snowden's girlfriend evidently also getting a long term visa to stay in ol' Mother Russia.. It lends credence to my theory he planned it all out with the Russians from the git-go.
Dave

JoeThrows
udonmap.com

Re: Edward Snowden - Hero or Traitor? (POLL RE-OPENED)

Post by JoeThrows » October 18, 2014, 5:07 pm

Since there's no money trail to follow I'd look to see who is benefitting. I haven't seen anything to show that Russia or china benefitted from his stay. Haven't seen any state that's benefitted really, everyone is in a hyper vigilant fluster-cluck. Russia is probably in a far worse condition now due to sanctions and if they held any cards that would certainly be a time to play them.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » October 18, 2014, 5:40 pm

GT93 wrote:Yep I wouldn't want the yankee spooks following my every move. Bob Helm doesn't seem to mind if you read his post in the drone thread. I put that down to him being 20 years older than GT93. And no I wasn't born in 1993. Bob was born well before 1973. I believe Stanley Baldwin was the PM when Bob was born. Stop laughing Zid. :D

I think Ed's going to be an important figure for some decades to come.
Do you really think your not monitored, if not by your Government ( if your not that would surprise me) The Thai's monitors you I promise. By the way the Yankee spooks are following you as well. along with many more countries. With the communication systems we have today it's all to easy. I would much rather have Yankee spooks doing it then ISIS.

One has to remember that others can write programs as well.

When you get down to the brass tacks of it, it is pretty scary. A hacker shutting down the Electric grid for example, not here but in your home country. How your going access your money?

They do it here same problem, your not going to be able to show up with a bank book and get money.

Now if we can avoid those kind of things cause some guys wants to waste his time, watching what I do with my spare time. I have no problem with it at all.

( sorry off topic what was the Thread about a 2 week waiting period on your visa? )

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 18, 2014, 5:53 pm

You misunderstand me GT.
I don't care simply because I have not done anything wrong.
In the scheme of things that probably counts for little if the Authorities have a desire to fabricate something, but that is a bit tin foil hat for me & I would generally prefer to live life than worry about it.. :D

I think that Snowden's disclosures were important because they put truth to the thought that people were being watched. However given things already in the public domain about the FBI & the British Secret Service it should not have come as a huge surprise to anyone.
The question as to who watches the watchers to ensure 'fair play' however remains frighteningly unanswered as does what constitutes fair play in the first place...

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » October 18, 2014, 6:14 pm

"The question as to who watches the watchers to ensure 'fair play' however remains frighteningly unanswered as does what constitutes fair play in the first place..."

Now that I like. can it be used wrongly far a I Know J Edger Hoover was he worse offender of that and that was before this internet. Some might be amazed at what people can found out about you that is in public records. In most cases there is not even a charge unless you want a copy.

Back to the real world now. some of the things they are looking for need to be watched. With as much of this going in the world today and yet things still fall through the cracks. So let them have it as far a I'm concerned. The fact that Snowden lets us know it was happening in no big deal I had already been told about from friends in the states.

Here is where the problem came in it isn't that he said it was happening, He told all that wanted to listen how it was being done. You know I'm not the brightest bulb in the package. But after that could it be possible the terrorist groups may have changed how they did business.

I wonder how much if any undercover operatives information was disclosed.

I really don't know all that he released and I'm not sure I want to know

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » October 18, 2014, 7:14 pm

there's no doubt in my mind he gave the whole package to the Russians.. Per media reports he also gave it all to the reporter Greenberg who's living in Brazil now.. What it did for the Russians and any other privy to the intelligence hoard was to disclose means and methods used to get information.. In the wrong hands (the Russians perhaps?) that would allow targeted entities to change they way they communicate or encrypt information to prevent its easy interception..
Dave

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 18, 2014, 7:47 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:interesting about Snowden's girlfriend evidently also getting a long term visa to stay in ol' Mother Russia.. It lends credence to my theory he planned it all out with the Russians from the git-go.
FrazeeDK wrote:there's no doubt in my mind he gave the whole package to the Russians..
Snowden has supplied evidence that the NSA is spying (probably illegally) on the entire population of the US, and along with their acolytes in the Five Eyes program, on the entire world.

By way of contrast, there is no evidence to support your above suppositions.

Return to “World News”