A380 emergency landing in Singapore after engine failure

World news discussion forum
Texpat
udonmap.com

Re: A380 emergency landing in Singapore after engine failure

Post by Texpat » November 4, 2010, 10:32 pm

That's not being respectful to other posters. :D
Do you realize you can be sent to banned camp for making personal insults to others?
Can't you make your point without personal insults?
Are you really a moderator?

Back to the rattletraps Qantas calls the A-380. They're all grounded, right? Maybe they can be used as airport shuttles. You know from terminal to terminal...

bamakmak
udonmap.com

Post by bamakmak » November 4, 2010, 10:38 pm

BobHelm wrote:Of course I doubt if you would have seen it as Fox are too preoccupied to show anything from outside the USA, if any of its' viewers actually believe any place outside the USA exists.
Actually Fox had several reports about the incident since it occured. Bob, you seem to know quite a bit about Fox News and it's content. When was the last time you actually watched it?

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 4, 2010, 10:38 pm

And yet you believe that making racial insults is acceptable Tex???
Odd there was no mention of injuries or damage on the ground after the multi-ton engine crashed to Earth with "metal shards coming down from the sky." Shall we assume Airbus and Qantas just don't give a ----? After all, it's only Indonesia... right?
You made the above post when watching, listening or reading any world news channel would make anyone realise that it is a statement made in error. When that was pointed out to you your reply was that you did not listen to world news...
Then why make the above statement???
& so you think my reply is an Insult??? It is heart felt advice about your health Tex!!!

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » November 4, 2010, 10:39 pm

Whoa !! There's only one person who is going to be sent to banned camp.....And I dont think it's going to be Mr Helm....
Last edited by 747man on November 4, 2010, 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 4, 2010, 10:40 pm

bamakmak wrote:Actually Fox had several reports about the incident since it occured. Bob, you seem to know quite a bit about Fox News and it's content. When was the last time you actually watched it?

Actually yesterday bamakmak, to see their reaction to the mid term elections...
Why do you ask???

bamakmak
udonmap.com

Post by bamakmak » November 4, 2010, 10:46 pm

I asked the question because I've seen many international reports on Fox. Certainly, the majority of their news is centered around the U.S., since that is their main audience. Just as BBC reports news that is of primary interest to it's viewers in the U.K. Your earlier comment seemed to imply that viewers of Fox are only interested in what happens within the borders of the U.S. and that simply isn't true.

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » November 4, 2010, 10:49 pm

BobHelm wrote:And yet you believe that making racial insults is acceptable Tex???
Wow, there's a stretch. Got an example? You do understand what a racial insult is, don't you?

Hint: race and nationality are not the same -- google it.

Maybe they can use those A-380s as temporary prisons for all the Sri Lankan refugees that have the temerity to apply for asylum in Oz. I've heard Christmas Island is full up.
Your earlier comment seemed to imply that viewers of Fox are only interested in what happens within the borders of the U.S. and that simply isn't true.
It is to UM's cliche peddlers. Their cliches are gospel (and overused, and idiotic, and incorrect). And all road traffic speed limits in the US are 55 mph. 'Streuth.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 4, 2010, 11:00 pm

Then that is certainly not the impression I have ever had in watching Fox.
Unless it is a major world incident it has barely a mention.
All the non news items are, from my viewing, 100% centred on American news. I watch the Aussie channel & the BBC & the emphasis placed solely on domestic issues is just not there. Indeed, World news is discussed in great detail - I am currently watching a BBC program called 'Hardtalk' it is solely (a three quarter hour program) a discussion with Matt Kibbe President and CEO of FreedomWorks (who believes The Tea Party is at the 'centre' of USA politics) which has nothing to do with the UK at all.
ABC also regularly run news programs that have nothing to do with Australia.
I have NEVER seen this sort of emphasis placed on a non American subject by Fox.

Banjo
udonmap.com
Location: Surfing with Eudyptula minor, shooting vermin or philandering in a Soi

Post by Banjo » November 4, 2010, 11:04 pm

Yep .... all QANTAS Super Tin Budgies are grounded and the Indo's are trying to collect all the pieces and put the broken one back together :-k They are being very diligent

But this woman has laughingly decided to keep a piece of the aircraft in the office as a memento of the event [-X

Australia has just given Indonesia $500 Million to build new schools for the little Indo's ... now they want trophies! =;

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 4, 2010, 11:17 pm

Tex you can use semantics as much as you like. The fact is you continually use racial abuse on this site.
As i have said to you before, if anyone actually believed that anyone took any post you made seriously then you might actually be offensive. As it is you are, quite obviously, in need of pity & assistance. That you consider this might be personal abuse only goes to prove the point more rather than suggest that you should ever be taken seriously.

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » November 4, 2010, 11:26 pm

I'm not convinced you understand the difference between race and nationality, Bob.
Proof please. Might I suggest you curb your personal insults. (personal -- aimed at an individual, not a group)
It's quite unbecoming.

So the A-380...
That's a fairly nice looking school.
Shame Qantas had to go and bomb it.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 4, 2010, 11:34 pm

Academic & semantics Tex.. As I have already said too many times you are to be pitied, not indulged... :D :D

bamakmak
udonmap.com

Post by bamakmak » November 4, 2010, 11:35 pm

Bob, I suppose we're digressing a bit from the topic, so I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree.

However, I will concede to you that both BBC and CNN place a greater emphasis on world news than Fox. I think this is particularly true during the nighttime and earlier morning hours of the U.K. and U.S. During this same time slot, Fox tends to simply rerun earlier broadcasts.

But I also think it depends on which show you watch on Fox. Some of the shows are purely editorial and centered almost exclusively on U.S. issues. Shows on Fox that are more news orientated have numerous international reports including, in recent times, the Aussie elections, French strikes, Greek riots, etc.

While I recognize that your statement that Fox viewers "don't believe that anything exists outside the U.S." is not meant to be taken literally, I still found it to be condescending and a bit narrow-minded.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 4, 2010, 11:42 pm

bamakmak wrote:While I recognize that your statement that Fox viewers "don't believe that anything exists outside the U.S." is not meant to be taken literally, I still found it to be condescending and a bit narrow-minded.
Then I apologise as that was not my intent &, in regard to the thread in question, it would appear (from your report) that if Tex had bothered to watch ANY news outlet available then he would have known that his statement was ridiculous. That he did not bother & still made the comment only he can explain... Maybe....

bamakmak
udonmap.com

Post by bamakmak » November 4, 2010, 11:48 pm

Thanks Bob. And please, don't try to get me to defend Texpat!! :D :shock:

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 5, 2010, 9:56 am

Passenger plane crashes in Cuba
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-11700265

Not such a happy outcome as the Airbus incident. The Boeing 737 crashed, killing all crew and 60 passengers 28 of which were holiday makers. It was the only Boeing operated by the Cuban Government owned Aero Caribbean.
KARACHI: A small privately-owned plane crashed near Karachi airport near Pehelwan Goth shortly after take-off, on Friday morning.
20 people have died in the crash, according to reports.
http://tribune.com.pk/story/72811/small ... n-karachi/
Singapore Airlines resumes A380 flights after scare
It would seem all their aircraft passed the safety checks.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11700193

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » November 5, 2010, 11:05 am

For those interested in a follow up on the original and serious story/news item, and not wishing to be drawn into off topic arguments by churlish and provocative remarks made by Texpat, the following news item may be of interest.

Texpat if you can't post anything sensible and serious on a news item about a serious situation, and are unable to avoid stirring up unnecessary Brit v American sniping, then may I suggest you post your provocative and churlish comments elsewhere. Your posts amount to trolling, which is a "bannable" offence.
Singapore Airlines resumes A380 flights after scare
A Singapore Airlines A380 has its engine checked in Zurich, Switzerland, 4 November.
Singapore Airlines has resumed flights on its Airbus A380 aircraft - which were grounded after one of the planes operated by Australia's Qantas Airways had to make an emergency landing.

One of the jet engines failed after take-off from Singapore. Engine maker Rolls-Royce has recommended checks.

After completing the checks, Singapore Airlines said it had cleared all its 11 A380 aircraft for service.

Qantas has grounded its six A380 jets pending investigations.

Rolls-Royce said it was checking all the A380 planes in service - with Qantas, Singapore and Lufthansa - that use its Trent 900 engines. It said "the safe operation of our products is our number-one priority".

The other A380 superjumbos in service - with Air France and Emirates - use another engine.

The incident involving the Qantas plane occurred on Thursday, when flight QF32, with 433 passengers and 26 crew on board, experienced an engine failure over western Indonesia shortly after taking off.

"We do take our safety reputation and our safety standards unbelievably seriously," Qantas chief executive Alan Joyce said at a news conference.

"And we're not going to take any risks with passenger safety - and as a precaution, we're suspending the flights of the A380 aircraft until we're comfortable that we understand the reasons for this."

No-one was injured during the incident, which ended when the plane returned safely to Singapore's Changi airport.

One of the four engines was blackened and its rear casing was missing.

A team of air crash investigators is being sent to Singapore from France, where Airbus is based, to assist in the investigation.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11700193
My understanding is that it was part of the engine casing which fell to the ground, not the whole engine.

As this is not the first time that an engine on the A380 has failed, there is an obvious concern whether there may be some design flaw in the engines.

Note the article gives information on the different engines used by the airlines. I also noted that Lufthansa and Air France now also use the A380. Lufthansa have the Rolls Royce engine, and Air France along with Emirates use an "Engine Alliance" engine.

For anyone interested the BBC News webpage gives additional information about the A380 plane.

Some additional related material, from a variety of sources:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTEYiC1i ... re=channel

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... zG6NMdJ_.c

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/SDY5ME64X.htm

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » November 5, 2010, 12:27 pm

This is an intelligent and informed article from an intelligent and informed source/newspaper on the topic:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/no ... ure-qantas

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » November 5, 2010, 2:39 pm

arjay wrote:Texpat if you can't post anything sensible and serious on a news item about a serious situation, and are unable to avoid stirring up unnecessary Brit v American sniping, then may I suggest you post your provocative and churlish comments elsewhere.
Thanks for the advice. I'll certainly take it under consideration -- when those who believe taking pot shots at anything and everything American are held to a similar standard.

Any of those flimsy 380s drop engines today?

rufus
udonmap.com

Post by rufus » November 5, 2010, 2:49 pm

Please don't ever ban Texpat. His foolish, childish and ignorant posts make me laugh at how silly someone can be.

Return to “World News”