World news discussion forum
izzix
udonmap.com

Charles Sobhraj gets married again

Post by izzix » October 12, 2008, 11:15 pm

Sobhraj wedding a farce: Nepal jail authorities
10 Oct 2008, 1608 hrs IST,TNN
audio

KATHMANDU: New Nepali celebrity Nihita “Sobhraj’s” claim that she plighted the troth with Charles Sobhraj, aka the Bikini Killer of the 70s, was
Nihita Biswas
Sobhraj's new wife, Nihita Biswas. (AP File)

met with derision by Nepal’s jail authorities on Friday who said the young woman had been either “duped” or was trying to make a fast buck by latching on to the former internationally hunted criminal.

The 20-year-old woman triggered a media frenzy on Thursday, calling up a well-known newspaper office in New Delhi and claiming that she had got married “in traditional Nepali style” to the 64-year-old convicted killer inside Kathmandu’s Central Jail on Thursday. It was confirmed by her elder brother Vijay Thapa, who however said that the “wedding” was a “very brief ceremony” and “much more still needed to be done”. ( Watch )

The prison authorities dismissed the claim on Friday, saying they had allowed Nihita and her family only to conduct a tika ceremony, along with the relatives of hundreds of other prisoners. It was not a wedding but part of the ongoing Dashain festival, when elders put the vermilion mark on the foreheads of those younger to them to signify their blessings.

Prison guards, who have been keeping watch over Sobhraj since 2003, when he was arrested for the murder of an American backpacker in 1975 and put behind bars, told TNN that they had seen the Frenchman go through the same antics at least four times before.

According to them, he would tell them that he was ready to pay a monthly “salary” of NRS 3000-4000 for a goffer, who would be required to buy his food stuff and convey his messages to his lawyers and others. The excuse would get him in contact with young Nepali women.

“There were at least four young Nepali girls before Nihita,” the policemen said. “They all claimed to have relations with him. One of them even wore a ring, saying they had been married.”

The policemen said that the women distanced themselves from Sobhraj when they realised that he was not the fabulously rich man he was made out to be. “We have heard him repeatedly call up his French wife and plead with her to send him money. She sends lump sums from time to time on which he subsists.”

In his career in crime stretching over nearly five decades, Sobhraj was officially married once to a French woman, who left him after realising that she had no stomach for the web of lies and deception spun by him.

The books written on him allege that he exploited women for his own gains. During his stay in Bangkok, he reportedly lived with a Canadian woman and under her very eyes, had a fling with a Thai girl and later, with other western women.

When destiny lured Sobhraj to Kathmandu in 2003, he was living in France with a French woman of Chinese origin. They have a daughter. However, his arrest and subsequent imprisonment for life made her break off with him.

Sobhraj however insists that most of the reports are false. He says when he saw Nihita, he fell in love with her at first sight because of her “intelligence”.

mak
udonmap.com

Re: Charles Sobhraj gets married again

Post by mak » December 23, 2022, 9:49 am

Sobhraj to be released from prison in Nepal. Which means he will have served less than 1 year per murder that he committed.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » December 23, 2022, 10:12 am

I hope after his release in Nepal he is extradited to other jurisdictions where he is reincacerated
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » December 23, 2022, 3:29 pm

He's off scot-free for the 14 murders in Thailand. 20 years have passed.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » December 23, 2022, 5:23 pm

Mak, while the Thai legal system may have their statutes, other nations can try to charge this serial murderer for killing their citizens even if it took place in a foreign nation. Let's hope
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » December 23, 2022, 6:08 pm

There will some naive individuals who think he could have, a still can be rehabilitated and so given that second chance in society. [-( =;

Capital punishment was a legal penalty in India at the time of his arrest in 1976 and still used up to 2012, and that is exactly what he should have been given. Although I am sure some other S..C.. around who will disagree, or even try to argue the possibility of his innocence and or mistaken identify in his case :confused: :confused: I will wait with bated breath for their plausible response, as to why he should have been permitted to live in society. :-& :-s

Had India strung him up by the neck when they had him, some victims would be alive today. =D>

How he was permitted/allowed to travel overseas from France in 2003 is beyond belief. :-k

Extract: It is thought that Sobhraj murdered at least 20 tourists in South and Southeast Asia, including 14 in Thailand. He was convicted and jailed in India from 1976 to 1997. After his release, he retired, promoting his infamy in Paris. Sobhraj returned to Nepal in 2003, where he was arrested, tried, and received a life sentence. On 21 December 2022, the Supreme Court of Nepal ordered his release from prison because of his old age, after serving 19 of 20 years of the sentence.

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 23, 2022, 7:55 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
December 23, 2022, 6:08 pm

Capital punishment was a legal penalty in India at the time of his arrest in 1976 and still used up to 2012, and that is exactly what he should have been given. Although I am sure some other S..C.. around who will disagree, or even try to argue the possibility of his innocence and or mistaken identify in his case :confused: :confused: I will wait with bated breath for their plausible response, as to why he should have been permitted to live in society. :-& :-s
Keep hoisting up those straw men, pipo. :D

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » December 23, 2022, 8:27 pm

jackspratt wrote:
December 23, 2022, 7:55 pm
pipoz4444 wrote:
December 23, 2022, 6:08 pm

Keep hoisting up those straw men, pipo. :D
Look in the mirror Jack and you might just see some Wheat growing out of your ears \:D/ \:D/

You must be one of the "Naive" [-X

pipoz4444

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 23, 2022, 8:48 pm

You may have a different definition to me of naive.

To me, naive is setting up a poorly constructed straw man argument, and then being unable to even mount a case to knock it down. :roll:

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » December 24, 2022, 12:32 pm

jackspratt wrote:
December 23, 2022, 8:48 pm
You may have a different definition to me of naive.

To me, naive is setting up a poorly constructed straw man argument, and then being unable to even mount a case to knock it down. :roll:
Re Mount a Case: The number of victims of this serial killer is the case Jack and even a blind man can see it. The repeated senseless murder of innocent people by a psychopath who showed no remorse over a 20 year period, whenever and wherever he chose to kill for no reason. A ....... who then exploited what he did for money and so call notoriety. And you want a “Case” explained, for his execution? I would say that qualifies as being naive. :-k

Try reading the book " The World's Worst Serial Killers" Chapter 10. He simply killed, because he could [-X

Whatever makes you happy Jack, but I am more than comfortable with my view of advocating for the execution of Sobhraj and others like him, on those grounds that it will stop him/them committing multiple murders of the innocent, again.

The Courts and the Jails don't hold these Killers for LIFE any more, not like they did in the old days, when "LIFE actually meant LIFE", because there are too many organizations making a living out of lobbying for the chance to rehabilitate these psychopaths, and they are psychopaths. [-X [-X Sobhraj did not just kill one or two individuals in a fit / moment of rage, he planned and committed 20 plus premeditated murders and now he is about to walk free. Try and justify that. :confused: [-X

I saw that he may want to relocate, after his release, to Dubai or South Africa and not necessarily back to France. You never know Jack, he might be your neighbour one day, which may or may not make you happier.

Link: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?tab=r ... vKtcbcdWQZ

pipoz4444

Return to “World News”