Thai Time.

Thailand news, views and comments
trubrit
udonmap.com

Thai Time.

Post by trubrit » August 21, 2008, 9:42 am

Haven't seen anything on the forum about this so thought I should give you all a heads up.
On Saturday 23rd August at 08.30hrs.Clocks throughout Thailand will be put back 1/2 hour. Meaning you get extra time in bed. The announcement is a bit ambiguous, but it appears to be a permanent change, and with the confusing Thai time system I am worried about the actual change over time, but to the best of my admittedly limited Thai, I believe it to be , what we would call AM when the change takes place, but don't kick my ass if its any different. I do try. :lol:

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » August 21, 2008, 10:26 am

From the Bangkok Post, 16 August, 2008:

No need to go faster

SETTING CLOCKS :Thai time will stay as it is, says director of the National Institute of Meteorology Pian Totarong.

He has denied a report that Thailand will wind clocks forward by half an hour.

Thai time would remain seven hours ahead of Greenwich time, he said.

'I think there might be some misunderstanding. We have never planned to change Thai time. All we will do is provide a service for people to set the time correctly," said Mr Pian. People who want to know the exact time can check the institute's website, or dial the 181 service of the Hydrographic Department.

Ya got me! Maybe change, maybe not. Who knows?

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » August 21, 2008, 11:26 am

One says forward , one says backward, one says will, one says won't. I feel a song coming on. :lol: Just tuned in to Thai channel 3 at 11.00am and the announcer "seems" to confirm my original posting.Tried ringing that 181 number, guess what? Line unavailable. TIT. :razz:
Don't know what the director of Meteorology would know anyway. meteorology is the study of the weather. The study of time is Horology. :lol:

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » August 21, 2008, 3:06 pm

I even checked the date today when i read this.....no not the 1st, and wrong month too. :lol:
Can You Dig It Dug.?

Astana
udonmap.com

Post by Astana » August 21, 2008, 3:43 pm

But that may have changed BM.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 21, 2008, 6:06 pm

Hope they go back .... extra 30 mins drinking time ....... and the late footie match on Sats (17:30 UK kickoff) will now finish BEFORE the bar closes (allowing for drink up time or whatever it is in Udon) :D

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » August 22, 2008, 12:28 am

In the Bangkok Post last week it said they were going to synchronise ALL official clocks so that the anthem would be played at exactly the same time so TV and radio would play the anthem (8am, 6pm). As it stands there is a slight discrepancy with clocks throughout the kingdom.

Haven't seen anything about this 30 minute thing... This thread needs updating and confirmation.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » August 22, 2008, 4:19 am

Irish Alan wrote:

Haven't seen anything about this 30 minute thing... This thread needs updating and confirmation.
It got updated 30 minutes ago...or in 30 minutes it will get updated..i think.. :confused:

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » August 22, 2008, 6:17 am

I reckon we'll know this weekend.

I did hear/read the same thing that Alan noted. Synchronization for the morning and evening anthem times was a primary goal.

Guns482
udonmap.com

Post by Guns482 » August 22, 2008, 8:53 pm

yep my understanding too, as Thais seem to decide locally the right time, hence the standardisation of the anthem time, so everyone in Thailand will hear the tune at the same time as everyone else.
30 min bit is uncomprehensible, thai time internationally will not change one iota.
Guns

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » August 25, 2008, 11:36 am

It's about 11:30 AM here in Udon Thani on Monday, 25 August. The thirty minute time change (foreward or backward?) hasn't occured. Perhaps the national anthem is on a regular coordinated schedule while the rest of Thailand just keeps on using "Thai time". That can be described a dozen different ways, depending on your latest time associated activity with most Thai folks. I've adjusted to "Thai time", so really not impacted much.

Anyway, the clocks are still set to where they were a week ago.

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » August 25, 2008, 12:40 pm

Hilarious! Absolutely hilarious! :D :D :D :D
Brings back memories of an April Fool's gag a few years ago, in which it was stated that Thailand would switch to three time zones, each offset by half an hour.

Return to “Thailand News”