Foreigners behaving badly

Thailand news, views and comments
tamada
udonmap.com

Foreigners behaving badly

Post by tamada » March 18, 2024, 6:45 am

A fair few stories regarding angry or drink Swiss, Brits and "Russians" have featured in Thai media recently. However, this pair of New Zealanders seem to have taken it to a new level.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/202 ... t-officer/

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Re: Foreigners behaving badly

Post by newtovillagelife » March 18, 2024, 7:49 am

tamada wrote:
March 18, 2024, 6:45 am
A fair few stories regarding angry or drink Swiss, Brits and "Russians" have featured in Thai media recently. However, this pair of New Zealanders seem to have taken it to a new level.

Hope they are both put in jail for a long time, and fined heavily. Idiots.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » March 18, 2024, 9:24 pm

tamada wrote:
March 18, 2024, 6:45 am

I thinks it simply demonstrates how stupid some people are.

To go to another country as a Tourist and get in a fight is one stupid act. But to go to another country and assault that countries police and even just pick the policeman's gun, regardless, is just madness. [-( [-(

If these two guys don't spend time in Bangkok Hilton, I would be utterly surprised.

A 2 Million Baht donation each, might keep them out of the BH :-k

They are very lucky they didn't try it in Australia and they would be very very lucky to be be alive if it was Arizona or Louisiana

In the current climate with the Swedes in the Thai spotlight, I can see an example being made of these two guys. [-( 8-[

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » March 18, 2024, 11:03 pm

The video circulating out there makes it worse than it sounds. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. Scary situation for the people who were around telling these two (2) idiots to stop.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » March 20, 2024, 8:58 am

would like to see video from shops and houses in the area, like they show on tv, so as to get a fully picture, as to how it unfolded

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » March 20, 2024, 5:09 pm

Just a couple of spoiled brats from a wealthy family.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 28, 2024, 1:12 pm

Whichever way you attempt to spi this story regarding the two Kiwis, anyone with a grain of sense never attacks the local plod even though they may be the most irritating obnoxious xenophobic people you have ever met. More so when your a tourist , no matter how entitled you think you are.

I have on a couple of occasions argued the odds with the local police BU ALWAYS a day after the event . when loss of face is never an issue and you leave the situation in the hands of that officers superiors to deal with it.

Remember better a live coward than a dead hero springs to mind, we are all aware of how often Egos get triggered here coupled with loss of face is a dangerous combination as we have all seen from Thai news reports and also remember we are according to them GUESTS, maybe taxed guests, but still guests, visas can be revoked etc, the full panoply of actions that an legally be activated against you is mind numbing and permanent !!`

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » March 28, 2024, 11:19 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
March 28, 2024, 1:12 pm
Whichever way you attempt to spi this story regarding the two Kiwis, anyone with a grain of sense never attacks the local plod even though they may be the most irritating obnoxious xenophobic people you have ever met. More so when your a tourist , no matter how entitled you think you are.

I have on a couple of occasions argued the odds with the local police BU ALWAYS a day after the event . when loss of face is never an issue and you leave the situation in the hands of that officers superiors to deal with it.

Remember better a live coward than a dead hero springs to mind, we are all aware of how often Egos get triggered here coupled with loss of face is a dangerous combination as we have all seen from Thai news reports and also remember we are according to them GUESTS, maybe taxed guests, but still guests, visas can be revoked etc, the full panoply of actions that an legally be activated against you is mind numbing and permanent !!`

IN NEW ZEALAND
1.Firstly, what would happen to these two characters, if they had refused to stop for the police, then tackled on of the police and placed him in a headlock back in New Zealand?

2.Secondly, what would have been the reaction of the New Zealand Police arriving on the scene, when they saw one of their mates in a headlock being held on the ground by one person, with the other person holding the gun in his hand?

IN AUSTRALIA
1.What would happen to these two characters, if they had refused to stop for the police, then tackled on of the police and placed him in a headlock back in Australia? Answer: In Australia, it is an offence under sections 58 and 60 Crimes Act 1900 and has a maximum penalty of 5 years imprisonment, or 2 years if the matter is finalized in the Local Court

2.What would have been the reaction of the Australian Police arriving on the scene, when they saw one of their mates in a headlock being held on the ground by one person, with the other person holding the gun in his hand? Answer: He holding the gun has a high probability of being shot and the other being tasered. [-(

IN USA
1.What would happen to these two characters, if they had refused to stop for the police, then tackled on of the police and placed him in a headlock back in the USA? Answer: Depends which State in USA, but this would be considered to be a Class C felony punishable by 1-15 years in prison. If a dangerous weapon :-k :-k is used during the altercation, the charge escalates to aggravated assault and the punishment increases in severity to a 1-25 year term in state prison. :-k :-k

2.What would have been the reaction of the USA Police arriving on the scene, when they saw one of their mates in a headlock being held on the ground by one person, with the other person holding the gun in his hand? Answer: The one holding the gun would definitely be DEAD and one tackling the policeman would almost certainly be shot at least once, twice of up to 5 times . [-( [-X [-X

pipoz4444

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » March 29, 2024, 7:27 am

Firstly IN NEW ZEALAND you can run from the police if your mad enough, but they will chase you down..
as for laying a hand on them , YOU DONT..unless maybe in a scuffle at some protest..
if you did, the Armed Defender Squad would arrive, and you would probably end up shot..
so thats what makes this Thai thing somewhat strange to me..
the only reasoning I can come up with, is the cop went for his gun, and the guys feared for their lives, so went into attack mode...remembering that the video says from one of the kiwis ' that he is trying to kill us ;;added with their Not Guilty plea..thats why I want to see shop or house CCTV to see what happened prior to the tussle on the ground,,

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 29, 2024, 7:53 am

maaka wrote:
March 29, 2024, 7:27 am
Firstly IN NEW ZEALAND you can run from the police if your mad enough, but they will chase you down..
as for laying a hand on them , YOU DONT..unless maybe in a scuffle at some protest..
if you did, the Armed Defender Squad would arrive, and you would probably end up shot..
so thats what makes this Thai thing somewhat strange to me..
the only reasoning I can come up with, is the cop went for his gun, and the guys feared for their lives, so went into attack mode...remembering that the video says from one of the kiwis ' that he is trying to kill us ;;added with their Not Guilty plea..thats why I want to see shop or house CCTV to see what happened prior to the tussle on the ground,,
Why would the cop go for his gun? Maybe, when confronted with a pair of adrenaline-pumped men, he was the one in fear for his life; quite rightly it would seem.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 29, 2024, 8:41 am

Be helpful if the full video were available - just to arrive at an informed opinion.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » March 29, 2024, 5:39 pm

The point I was trying to make JS was that if they did the same in NZ they would be in the Sh..t and if he did it in Australia they would definitely be in the Sh..t as it is a criminal offence on OZ, so that both cases probably they would probably be looking at time in jail, although granted the jail time in Australia would be a lot cozier (a trip up to the River Murray) than that in Bangkok Hilton.

So if they do get time in the BH, then it is probably what they may well have got in NZ and or Australia, just a lot rougher time behind the bars in BKK.

It may sound harsh, but my view is that they deserve time (one more so than the other), if nothing else to learn some manners in life. Unfortunately the parents will need to accept that their sons need a lesson and they did this in the wrong country. I dare say the NZ Government will also need to accept it and not ask the Thai Government to intervene for any special favors for the two. [-(

Lastly f they had done this in the USA and other policemen had arrived on the scene then in all probability they wouldn't be a pair of brothers anymore, as one of them would be toes up. :-k

Lesson learnt :-k :-k and other tourists coming to or living in Thailand, should take heed of their future actions when in Thailand or anywhere overseas for that matter.

pipoz4444

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 29, 2024, 8:20 pm

I agree, pippo - if you transgress the local laws, you should be accountable.

The point I am making is that we don't know what lead up to the altercation between the Thai BiB, and the NZ brothers.

Take this report in the local press for instance:
Somsak spotted the men speeding on their motorbikes and tried to stop them. They allegedly tried to speed away then tried to offer a bribe to Somsak, who refused to take it. He tried to film the two men on his phone, and they allegedly tackled him and wrestled the gun away from him, causing a bullet to be fired. No one was injured by the bullet, police said.
https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/202 ... et-police/
Raises a few questions in my mind:

- how did Constable Somsak determine they were speeding, and who is soliciting or offering the bribe

- where is the film from his phone

- when and why did Somsak's gun appear, and who fired the bullet?

Even in NZ (I assume), and certainly in the various Australian state jurisdictions, a cop needs to have a legal reason to pull his gun. In Thailand, who knows.

Looking at the video that I have seen, one of the brothers seems to be restraining Somsak in self-protection mode, while the other is holding the gun in a very, "what the faark is going on here" mode.

So if earlier video exists, and hopefully it does, everything should become a lot clearer. There have been several instances that I can remember where earlier, lead-up footage of incidents in LOS have resulted in a totally different understanding of what actually happened.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 29, 2024, 8:42 pm

"...one of the brothers seems to be restraining Somsak in self-protection mode"

LOL
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 29, 2024, 9:07 pm

Lol.

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » March 30, 2024, 10:48 am

While I agree the actions of these were horrible, I sure would like to hear their side of the story. It may be that they were giving the cop a bunch of lip and the cop pulled his gun. Maybe, fearing for their lives, they took the cop down and took his gun. In the video it looks like one guy is offering the gun back.
While the two are completely responsible for their actions and should have respected the policeman, arguing would not be nearly as bad as the attack and they should be punished. But if there are mitigating circumstances it could mean the difference of expulsion from Thailand versus years in prison.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » March 30, 2024, 12:04 pm

Without responding to anyone directly I will say this, when the police tell you to pull over you need to pull over, no matter what the situation is or what country you are in. And if the police officer goes for their gun, drop to the ground with your hands in the air. Whether they were speeding or not is irrelevant.

I’ve been pulled over in Udon Thani before, police pointed at me to pull over while on motorbike so I did. Got a ticket, 300 baht if I remember, for no helmet. They never put their hands on me or were aggressive in any manner.

I wasn’t there so cannot say how or why it got to that point, but taking the officer to the ground and taking his gun from him was just plain ignorance on the one guy’s part. Nothing can justify that. Both of them would have been shot, no matter what the circumstance was, if this had happened in any Western country.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 30, 2024, 1:40 pm

Kenr6583 wrote:
March 30, 2024, 12:04 pm
I wasn’t there so cannot say how or why it got to that point,......
So that's why the complete video, assuming reasonably that it didn't start, and finish as shown above, would give a fuller explanation of the encounter.
but taking the officer to the ground and taking his gun from him was just plain ignorance on the one guy’s part. Nothing can justify that.
I disagree - I can think of at least one circumstance that could justify it.
Both of them would have been shot, no matter what the circumstance was, if this had happened in any Western country.
Don't make the mistake of assuming the cops in every western country are the same as their trigger-happy namesakes in the USA.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » March 30, 2024, 3:26 pm

jackspratt wrote:
March 30, 2024, 1:40 pm
Kenr6583 wrote:
March 30, 2024, 12:04 pm
I wasn’t there so cannot say how or why it got to that point,......
So that's why the complete video, assuming reasonably that it didn't start, and finish as shown above, would give a fuller explanation of the encounter.
but taking the officer to the ground and taking his gun from him was just plain ignorance on the one guy’s part. Nothing can justify that.
I disagree - I can think of at least one circumstance that could justify it.
Both of them would have been shot, no matter what the circumstance was, if this had happened in any Western country.
Don't make the mistake of assuming the cops in every western country are the same as their trigger-happy namesakes in the USA.
Why not the complete video? More than likely because the bystanders didn’t start recording until the altercation started. Did you ever think about that?

Please state your circumstance,

List the Western countries police that wouldn’t shoot if a suspect was holding a police officers gun and had the officer in a choke hold.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » March 30, 2024, 3:34 pm

This helps a lot for the legitimate Tourists and or Expats wishing to live in Thailand

https://aseannow.com/topic/1323649-rabi ... tre-hotel/

pipoz4444

Return to “Thailand News”