Thai Media

Thailand news, views and comments
pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Thai Media

Post by pipoz4444 » November 25, 2023, 11:12 pm

How weak is some of the Thai Media

Recently a Thai Media outlet "T T" carried a story about an emergency landing of a plane a DM. Half a page in which they failed to name the Airline involved. How weak and pathetic is that . Same with ASEAN NOW

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/fa ... -explosion

Luckily there is still a real Media outlet, left in Thailand, i.e. The B P who at least had the ...........to name the Airline involved

Is begs the question of Media outlets as whole, as to how scared they are or how unbiased they are in this day and age

pipoz4444
Last edited by pipoz4444 on November 26, 2023, 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Thai Media

Post by tamada » November 26, 2023, 5:23 am

Thailand's defamation laws are heavily biased against identifying entities and thus open to abuse. This results in a dumbing down of reporting where the likes of bus operators aren't identified in traffic accidents. Recently, in the Bangkok mall shooting, you would be hard-,pressed to find the name of the 5-star hotel on Sukhumvit where the perpetrator was eventually apprehended stated in the media. Even when a train derails or has another misfortune, the state entity that operates the service is never mentioned nor are any operator or maintenance issues raised it, just like in bus crashes.

Thailand hasn't had a truly free press and definitely not since the rule of Pibulsongkhram. Not even the Bangkok Post although their Opinion section does frequently allow for "outside the box" avenues of thought and discussion. However, criticism still tends to be inferred rather than overtly stated. One has to mostly live in exile to be able to mention unmentionables or name names.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » November 26, 2023, 6:16 am

tamada wrote:
November 26, 2023, 5:23 am
Thailand's defamation laws are heavily biased against identifying entities and thus open to abuse. This results in a dumbing down of reporting where the likes of bus operators aren't identified in traffic accidents. Recently, in the Bangkok mall shooting, you would be hard-,pressed to find the name of the 5-star hotel on Sukhumvit where the perpetrator was eventually apprehended stated in the media. Even when a train derails or has another misfortune, the state entity that operates the service is never mentioned nor are any operator or maintenance issues raised it, just like in bus crashes.

Thailand hasn't had a truly free press and definitely not since the rule of Pibulsongkhram. Not even the Bangkok Post although their Opinion section does frequently allow for "outside the box" avenues of thought and discussion. However, criticism still tends to be inferred rather than overtly stated. One has to mostly live in exile to be able to mention unmentionables or name names.
Did Phibun provide a 'truly free press in his second Premiership? Exactly when was this? It certainly wasn't in his first one:
Phibun's picture was also to be seen everywhere in society, while portraits of the ex-monarch individual Prajadhipok, an outspoken critic of the autocratic regime, were banned. At the same time Phibun passed a number of authoritarian laws which gave the government the power of almost unlimited arrest and complete press censorship.
- wiki
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 26, 2023, 7:34 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
November 26, 2023, 6:16 am
Did Phibun provide a 'truly free press in his second Premiership? Exactly when was this? It certainly wasn't in his first one:
Phibun's picture was also to be seen everywhere in society, while portraits of the ex-monarch individual Prajadhipok, an outspoken critic of the autocratic regime, were banned. At the same time Phibun passed a number of authoritarian laws which gave the government the power of almost unlimited arrest and complete press censorship.
- wiki
Where in my post have I claimed or suggested that Thailand has ever had a free press?

Where in my post have I claimed or suggested that the media was given greater freedoms under ANY of Pibul's administrations?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » November 26, 2023, 11:27 am

tamada wrote:
November 26, 2023, 5:23 am

I can understand not naming the Hotel in that incident, as the Hotel was an unwilling or innocent party to the actions of the person involved in the mall shootings. That sort of make sense, to leave the hotel name out of the media, given he could have walked into any hotel.

But an airline whose engine catches fire. Surely stating a fact, that being that an engine on flight........caught fire, should not be construed as defamatory. Then again telling the truth and or stating a fact in a number of countries these days, can land you in hot water.

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » November 26, 2023, 3:38 pm

I bought a number of spectacles that were advertised as robust and virtually unbreakable. Absolute poo. Two of the five pairs were broken in transit. They kept on advertising this rubbish and I kept telling people they were crap, don't buy. I had an email telling me they were taking me to court for defamation. Basically told them to go forth and multiply, never heard anything more.

Return to “Thailand News”