Coup Leader/Autocrat Pulls the Pin

Thailand news, views and comments
jackspratt
udonmap.com

Coup Leader/Autocrat Pulls the Pin

Post by jackspratt » July 11, 2023, 8:17 pm

I guess he has been tapped on the shoulder from on high, and told his time has passed.

Like all coupsters, he won't be remembered fondly.
Thai Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha to retire from politics nine years after taking power in coup

Thailand's Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha is set to retire from politics, nine years after he took power in a military coup and promised to stay in charge only temporarily.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-07-11/ ... /102589520
The vote for the new PM on Thursday will be critical to determine whether Thailand is to progress, or remain mired in political corruption.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Re: Coup Leader/Autocrat Pulls the Pin

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » July 12, 2023, 6:32 am

One wonders if Prayuth keeps his positions on the Boards of at least ten companies after his departure or not. Current generals do sit on company boards.

I would say that Field-Marshall Sarit from the '50s and General Prem are military leaders that are remembered with some fondness although Thaksin's loyal followers would disagree about Prem. However, this was when Prem headed the Privy Council. It should be added that Prem did not stage a coup. He dissolved Parliament and won the election.

I made a silly statement earlier on another thread concluding that this time 'things were different and Thailand had progressed. As you say, time will tell.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » July 12, 2023, 10:02 am

I am always amazed at the amount of money Thailand is spending on highway construction. For several years they have been changing highway 201 from two lane to four lane. Rather than simply adding another lane, they have torn up the original two lane and made it all new including elevated bridges. Seems like a total waste of money.

When Issan red shirt politicians were the vast majority, my wife broke from the red shirts. She took money from them for her vote than voted for whomever she wanted. Politics and the government are without a doubt corrupt.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 12, 2023, 10:51 am

I would wager that the total funds that various parties dole out to prospective voters is a drop in the ocean to their net resources before being elected and written off completely if they win. Yes it's in-your-face corruption but nothing compared to what state and government agencies get away with.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 12, 2023, 9:37 pm

With the 11th-hour machinations of the EC earlier today, I fully expect someone to be hastily whisked out of "retirement" since the people will obviously need happiness brought to them again.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Return to “Thailand News”