HTMS Sukhothai

Thailand news, views and comments
mak
udonmap.com

Re: HTMS Sukhothai

Post by mak » December 24, 2022, 12:30 pm

There was at least one hero in this sad episode. A medical CPO after being rescued donned a life jacket and re-entered the water to search for his missing shipmates. I believe he is one of the missing.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » December 24, 2022, 12:40 pm

Empty life raft washed ashore in Chumphon.
Attachments
Life raft.png

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » December 24, 2022, 1:08 pm

Life jacket found in Chumphon, 100 miles from sinking.
Attachments
Life jacket 2.jpg

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » December 25, 2022, 10:53 am

Looks like a lot of patchwork on the hull.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBb1K3GWxLA

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 25, 2022, 11:47 am

mak wrote:
December 25, 2022, 10:53 am
Looks like a lot of patchwork on the hull.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBb1K3GWxLA
This was in darkness around 21:38 and that is thermal imagery. The 'patchwork' could be 'warm' versus 'cold' plates and ribs. Midships below the water line would be the machinery spaces and bilges. However, with the alleged crack on the submerged side, one can't rule out that some time in the past 36 years that there's been a 'hard' berthing and hull integrity was compromised. I was supervising a Russian vessel that hit the jetty in Songhkla so hard on berthing that the port captain banned the vessel from ever coming alongside again. Another old Russian vessel I was on in Brazil used to take on about three bags of Quikrete at each port call.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 26, 2022, 7:15 am

Now we have the MESSAGE from the CAPTAIN of this stricken ship, one has top ask the question, when did this particular Captain leave the ship, first or last as normal seagoing traditions expect.
His message was in my book purely a PR stunt , asking sailors to come forward, why I ask if they were left to survive with out competent leadership.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » December 26, 2022, 3:38 pm

I take it you watched the movie Titanic Christmas day KP .. pure guess work and nautical myth as is your post...

Regardless where the blame lies this remains a tragic incident, one can only imagine what the loved ones of the missing sailors are going through.

Dm
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 26, 2022, 4:42 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
December 26, 2022, 3:38 pm
I take it you watched the movie Titanic Christmas day KP .. pure guess work and nautical myth as is your post...

Regardless where the blame lies this remains a tragic incident, one can only imagine what the loved ones of the missing sailors are going through.

Dm
DM sorry to burst your knowledgeable bubble but amongst the Naval Services and in days of yore it is normally the cap[TAIN that is the last to leave having made sure AQLL his crew are save as he can make them. It is NOT a myth rather an understood norm, but then you care little for myths/legends or even the truth when it suits you. By the way the film Titanic was wrong in so many ways if you took it as gospel you will one of millions that believed everything they portrayed`.

back on the OP, yes it is the lot of Sailors families to dread the message , a ship has been lost , those that go down to the sea in ships etc; But if they the sailors loved the sea, they will be right at home. You sorty of tak the danger in your stride, know full well the SEA ( aka Mother Nature ) can be a very cruel taskmaster and demands he pound of flesh . No so much the loss of a loved one, but the inability to see or touch the deceased is worse.
I have said it before RIP to those who passed and Empathise with the familioes..

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » December 27, 2022, 5:48 pm

KP .. the captain going down with the ship or being last off a stricken vessel prior to.it sinking .is a maritime tradtion, even taking into consideration varying laws in different ciuntries it is NOT a legal requirement bssically only a guidline...the captain is responsible for the crew ..not mandated by law to stay on board.

Have a read of this article it may enlighten you

https://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/ ... ng-the-law

I do not profess to be an expert in this feild as you suggest , i can however read quite well and digest the detail within ..it is in English so you should be OK . Maybe
Please ltry to leave your all too often Thai negative narrative to.onside it may help you to keep calm in stormy waters whilst residing here.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 28, 2022, 7:21 am

Oh dear a person whop at least honestly states he does not know but finding an article to justify his opinion is a sad person indeed.
No-one ever said the Captain was legally required nor even mandated, but in my little experience of playing with boats/ships for over 22 years and talking to many CAPTAINS of Warships, it is accepted that the Captain ensures ALL crew are safe .
But of course we must bow to the greater knowledge of a Wine Salesman whose knowledge ended with floating boats in his bath-tub. plus his ability to read it seems.

Having said that my comment was made after the Cap of HTMS Sukhothai made the comment about sailors showing themselves, which told me he had NO clue, and that is sad and revealing that he left the ship before checking. . A seamanship and command failure.;

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 28, 2022, 7:41 am

In your rush to needlessly condemn all things Thai, you are hopelessly presuming far too much here.

A Captain, any Captain, cannot command safely from a vessel that's lying on its side and in imminent threat of going under. With life rafts already in the water, this Captain has obviously already issued abandon ship orders. Having done that, there's no way he was expected to stay onboard the sinking ship himself. Yes, the Captain has ultimate responsibility for all in his charge but he also has a responsibility to keep himself alive so that he can maintain that responsibility. He's not supposed to bloody die doing it.

DM gave a citation whereas you are simply foghorning so here's a nautical term you may be more familiar with; "pipe down."
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 28, 2022, 3:04 pm

tamada wrote:
December 28, 2022, 7:41 am
In your rush to needlessly condemn all things Thai, you are hopelessly presuming far too much here.

A Captain, any Captain, cannot command safely from a vessel that's lying on its side and in imminent threat of going under. With life rafts already in the water, this Captain has obviously already issued abandon ship orders. Having done that, there's no way he was expected to stay onboard the sinking ship himself. Yes, the Captain has ultimate responsibility for all in his charge but he also has a responsibility to keep himself alive so that he can maintain that responsibility. He's not supposed to bloody die doing it.

DM gave a citation whereas you are simply foghorning so here's a nautical term you may be more familiar with; "pipe down."

So he exercised GOOD Command skills, hence they do not have a clue as to what happened to those missing ...amazing.

Condeming thai , i think not I was condeming the captain who in this case happens to be Thai, if different country same comments would apply, get off your lets knock KP shall we and stick to pertinent facts. If truth upsets you do not post ...simple

Seaman beware the shore- based landlubbers are taking over

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 28, 2022, 4:18 pm

Condemning while being totally ignorant of the "pertinent facts" and circumstances?

I see.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » December 28, 2022, 6:04 pm

I see they found another body yesterday, 11 still missing.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... f-chumphon
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » February 19, 2024, 9:23 am

Joint Thai-US operation to salvage sunken HTMS Sukhothai begins.

Return to “Thailand News”