DL points deductions

Thailand news, views and comments
Whistler
udonmap.com

Re: DL points deductions

Post by Whistler » January 15, 2023, 10:11 am

I would take long odds that where an offence takes place at manned locations, the chances of it being officially recorded are negligible.

I got a red light fine in the mail about two years ago, the picture was ridiculous as it showed me in the intersection on an amber light, and through the intersection when the light was red. I never paid it and no consequences when I renewed my license and annual tax.

Will they be more attentive in following up with the new law. We can watch this thread for those experiencing fines under the new law.

I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 15, 2023, 10:28 am

Whistler wrote:
January 15, 2023, 10:11 am
I would take long odds that where an offence takes place at manned locations, the chances of it being officially recorded are negligible.
I would guess that you haven’t been caught at the Non Sung check point. Your chances of not being officially fined and recorded there are close to zero. Though recently it hasn’t been active few drivers speed through that area, probably having either been caught or lucky in the past.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 15, 2023, 10:53 am

Whistler wrote:
January 15, 2023, 10:11 am

I got a red light fine in the mail about two years ago, the picture was ridiculous as it showed me in the intersection on an amber light, and through the intersection when the light was red. I never paid it and no consequences when I renewed my license and annual tax.

Will they be more attentive in following up with the new law. We can watch this thread for those experiencing fines under the new law.
Agreed but only until the technology is all linked up. Give it 5 more years.

Entering and leaving under green is legal.

Entering a junction on green and exiting on amber is legal.

Entering and leaving a junction under amber is legal.

Entering on amber and exiting under red is illegal.

Entering and leaving under red is illegal.

It's mostly about being cognizant of traffic light timings at your usual traffic lights and NOT applying that knowledge to traffic lights you are not familiar with.

Drive defensively and don't adopt the traits of the locals no matter how 'sensible' your Thai brain suggests.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » January 15, 2023, 11:11 am

We all.have observed various traffic lights where the amber light changes to red very very quickly. Hwy 210 and ring road an example. If you are too close to stop on amber, you will always be exiting the intersection on red. In other words it is impossible to comply.

International standards is amber light to stay on for 5 seconds.

Bottom line some will be booked unfairly but given this is Thailand, in most cases, just suck it up
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » January 15, 2023, 11:19 am

According to this article Amber Light stay on "How Long Does a Yellow Light Last?
In New York City, the Administrative Code requires that a traffic control device remain in the yellow phase for 2-3 seconds. This is a relatively short duration.

In contrast, the duration of a yellow light duration in California varies based on the speed limit but can be 4.2 seconds, and Texas requires a 4.7-second interval for the amber phase on roads with speeds of 50 mph and higher.

However, in New York, yellow lights are often set to last only about 3 seconds. With the proliferation of red light cameras, a “quick” yellow leads to many more tickets being issued."

Therefore 5seconds is not an International setting

https://nytrafficticket.com/how-long-sh ... low-phase/

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » January 15, 2023, 12:29 pm

From wiki for what it's worth

The length of amber lights can differ, for example in many places the length of a amber light is usually four or five seconds
, but elsewhere it may be as little as three, considerably reducing the time for reaction. It is typical for these times to vary according to the set speed limit, with longer times for higher limits. In the U.S. state of Georgia, an amber light must be lit one second for every 10 miles per hour (16 km/h) of the posted speed limit. For intersections with red light cameras, one extra second must be added.[citation needed] In Colorado Springs, Colorado, amber lights at numerous intersections have been noted with durations of approximately two seconds. In the United States, there is a recommended federal safety minimum of three seconds for amber lights.[95]

For quite a few intersections in Udon, the interval is very fast, I measured one that was about 1 second

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » January 15, 2023, 2:33 pm

Maybe I've been dreaming, or maybe it's for real, some intersections have a flashing green before the amber.
He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 15, 2023, 3:10 pm

If a driver finds they are getting "caught" at a busy intersection, that means they're further back in the queue of traffic when the light turns green. Traffic is slower as the green light matures due to cars ahead U-turning, changing lanes, undertaking or overtaking and causing following traffic to brake and move a lot slower than the ones at the front. Playing follow the leader on a "stale" green is easy pickings for the police check point near the Charoen Hotel and the ones on the newly widened ring road, especially those turning right across the junction onto the ring road.

There's also the problem of right turning traffic off the ring road making a second right-turn lane out of the 'fast' lane bottlenecking into a single lane. Particularly bad at rush hour.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 15, 2023, 3:11 pm

BillaRickaDickay wrote:
January 15, 2023, 2:33 pm
Maybe I've been dreaming, or maybe it's for real, some intersections have a flashing green before the amber.
No, you're not dreaming. It's there to make the potential red light runner put his foot on the gas.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 15, 2023, 3:29 pm

BillaRickaDickay wrote:
Yep seeing this all over now , i think tesbans are gradually changing all intersections to do this starting with the largest on highways., it does help to judge the ..can i or cant i make drivers.

Just back from a lengthy trip and for the most part with NY road works still cleared and contraflows removed traffic was very light , except yesterday as was Kids day.

Seeing loads of new PTT and rest stops under construction... good news as i just love a 7 11 ham n cheese toastie !!

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 15, 2023, 4:24 pm

BillaRickaDickay wrote:
It’s becoming more common, though it’s usually a single or double flash a couple of seconds before the yellow.
There is also the flash of the red before it goes green and the red light changing to counting down 10 seconds before going green, and the red countdown where there yellow sits.

While the idea that the red runner is going to use it to floor the peddle is certainly possible I see many more slowing down early.

For me it’s most useful in deciding if I should bypass the Kumphawapi lights northbound
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 15, 2023, 4:44 pm

Western nations don't have these flashing 'get ready' or count-down nonsense to assist the hurtling and impatient masses and the carnage at their intersections is probably a lot less than it is here. I think it serves to encourage the bad driving habits of the locals rather than the thankless task of trying to educate 'em. Arguably, it's an Asian thing though, same as their lack of spatial awareness, tunnel vision and gap-shooting.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » January 15, 2023, 5:02 pm

I have seen countdown in a few places, in Auckland almost every pedestrian signal has a count down to WUK or DUNT WUK

Return to “Thailand News”