Thailand Drug Issue

Thailand news, views and comments
pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Thailand Drug Issue

Post by pipoz4444 » October 7, 2022, 9:26 pm

Rather than taint another thread, related to the Kids at NBL, I thought I would post here.

The issue or drug abuse is obviously not confined to Thailand as we all know, nor is the issue of depression, acts of rage and individuals then going on a rampage killing other innocent people. Nor are the issues of rage from alcoholism or domestic violence. We humans are by our nature, just another animal, that happens to walk on two legs and arguably be, a bit smarter than other animals. We are a sick society.

In the NBL case it, is unlikely to have made any real difference to the outcome, with what weapon the drug crazed individual had with him, (I can only assume he was high as a Kite), when he entered the day care center. At that point he was in an environment of defenseless / sleeping children and a few adult women, who in all likelihood, had no real ability to fight back and they would never have thought of preparing for such an event. It may have been different if he had walked into the Police station and copped the first bullet.

In this instance, take the gun away and he would have used the knife, as he did. Take away the knife and he would surely found something else to use for his purpose in the day care center. I am not advocating for guns in anyway and yes take them out of society and yes it will make it harder to do this, but it will not make it impossible.

It would also appear from the reports, that it was in his nature to go on a rampage, at some me point in time, given some of his previous behavior when he was a cop.

In my view the issue of this Act, is more (buy not solely) to do with the drug abuse by the individual and the nature individual himself. One might say a toxic combination.

I am not sure if anyone has the answer to, how to change the course of a drug prone individual or how to stop him carrying out such rage on innocent kids, (particularly in this case with his apparent history of anger issues), so as to prevent the reoccurrence of such an act, whether it be in Thailand or anywhere else. I certainly don't have the answer.

If the statistics on drug relapse prevention programs are anything to go by, I would hazard a guess that, 50% or more drug prone individuals / addicts, relapse and go back to their previous ways, after treatments, I might be wrong. That leaves the 50% of these drug prone individuals back out there in the society, to blow up at any time. :-k :-k

pipoz4444
Last edited by pipoz4444 on October 8, 2022, 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: Thailand Drug Issue

Post by jackspratt » October 7, 2022, 10:20 pm

Thai authorities are saying he wasn't on drugs at the time of the attack.
It was not clear if he was still a regular drug user, but national police chief Damrongsak Kittipraphat said an autopsy report indicated he had not used them on the day of the attack.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-10-07/ ... /101511002

And respect to you for starting a new post, rather than indulging in unhelpful speculation as has appeared on the main thread(s).

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » October 7, 2022, 11:55 pm

jackspratt wrote:
October 7, 2022, 10:20 pm
Thai authorities are saying he wasn't on drugs at the time of the attack.
It was not clear if he was still a regular drug user, but national police chief Damrongsak Kittipraphat said an autopsy report indicated he had not used them on the day of the attack.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-10-07/ ... /101511002

And respect to you for starting a new post, rather than indulging in unhelpful speculation as has appeared on the main thread(s).
That's even worse Jack, (although it really can't be worse).

How one could even contemplate doing that to young children, in just a rage of anger, defies belief.

It's a very very somber time.

pipoz444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 8, 2022, 4:13 am

In a local media thread 'quoted' in a foreign news report, his mother says he 'took a pill' after the killer came home from court and before going to the day-care. Another one quotes a local person saying the killer was a known drug user. I am sure the national police chief has slipped into major damage control with the revelation that the killer was fired from the force for drug-related criminality. For example, I found a jarring juxtaposition that a mug shot APB type 'Thailand's most wanted' press release was issued, probably after the killer had already ended his own life. Was this a public safety alert or did the RTP think it was important to stress that he wasn't a cop any more? "Not a police-issue gun" and a "legally-owned" firearm has popped up early in the conversation too. Some sort of defence and distancing by his former employers? As for the national police chief announcing the results of any autopsy so quickly? How many times have we seen autopsy results taking weeks when it better serves the RTP narrative? Remember the actress who fell of a boat in Bangkok and drowned? There was maybe two or three autopsies on that circus. The Ko Tao victims were also subjected to more than one with the results variously leaked or delayed for weeks as that 'investigation' lumbered on.

As for yaaba, some may recall the tragic downtown stabbing in Udon Thani maybe 18 months ago? It was caught on cctv where a guy, high on yabaa and cruising for another fix as a passenger on a scooter. While stopped at the traffic lights, he calmly got off, walked over and slashed and stabbed two girls on a scooter next to them. Totally berserk in an instant. I think he was chased down and apprehended after going on a short rampage on foot? The scooter driver, who didn't even know that killers name, just drove away later claiming he was also high and just hooked up with this total stranger a few minutes earlier and they went cruising for a fix. That's the addicts life I guess. A common dependency makes you a 'friend' who you don't care to know personally?

Yabaa is allegedly made in jungle factories protected by separatist factions in Myanmar. If this is the case, I would think that quality control isn't high on the agenda. When you read about yabaa users suddenly flipping and doing terrible, murderous things, I wonder if they've had a 'bad' pill? Something in the recipe was wrong? How about the notion that there's a deliberate effort to 'spike' a random amount of pills with this really crazy chemical combo? Who's funding these jungle factories anyway?

This particular drug is a national scourge and a major cause of crime. They know where it comes from and they frequently post headlines of drug seizures and small-time dealers and users getting banged up. Meanwhile, the armies of two neighboring nations are solely responsible for the shared borders they protect and what passes to and fro. For every million tablets seized, billions don't. It's rotten to the core. It's an allowed subjugation of a swathe of the poorer population in the remotest provincial corners of these countries and the army and police are simply protecting their interests.

I will be very surprised if this initial grief and anger at the events in NBL is allowed any social traction going forward. Then the numbness kicks in.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » October 8, 2022, 6:56 am

The problem with drugs goes back in history , Opium Wars if I remember correctly, this was the favoured amongst many who had the cash to partake using Opium Dens to enjoy the high/lows of usage. In the Uk we had GIN , not a drug per se, but used to offset life as it were. It is said in the early 1`800s GIN was the mainstay of many an Army man Humans have always been looking for something, those that are so inclined to either boost their happiness or console their losses. We have devised so many methods, Amphetamines / Cannabis/ Heroin /Opium. And by our ingenuity managed to morph into drugs that kill / maime or completely change a persons outlook by altering the brains functions .

While there are people seeking a HIGH a demand for a FIX will never go away. Much of it instill into peoples minds by Information spread by MODERN Technology streamed 24/7 . Takes strong brave people to ignore that .

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » October 8, 2022, 12:52 pm

yaa baa addiction... Yaa baa all over the place.. We have mindless stumbling yaa baa addicts that have wandered through our neighborhood to the temple looking for free food.. Hundreds of millions of meth tablets smuggled out of the Golden Triangle where the labs are located. I often wondered why countries affected by the export of drugs from that area don't conduct military operations to eradicate the labs. The area is not under the control of the central Myanmar government but has its own narco government. I suspect there will be a large reaction at the government level to the mass murder in NBL. I don't know if it will match Taksin's 2005 anti-drug campaign but suspect it may....
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 8, 2022, 1:15 pm

"tragic downtown stabbing in Udon Thani maybe 18 months ago?"
That happened feet from my noodle soup shop next to the jail and Uncle Mustache's lahb shop next to the mosque. Dec 2020, early afternoon
https://www.thairath.co.th/news/crime/1989587
The (Taksin) war on drugs began in Jan 2003.....according to "In the first three months, Human Rights Watch reports that 2,275 people were extrajudicially executed."
But before that, on Jun 22, 1998, 3 people, supposedly involved in drug dealing, were executed......1 at Kilo 18, and 2 somewhere near Rahjapat. I was within 20 feet of the guy at Kilo 18......when I reported the incident to the village police department, they weren't interested. When my wife called our neighbor, an Army Colonel, he told her there was nothing we could do about it. After the man was shot, all the villagers said he had been dealing dope while dishing out fried rice in his small restaurants.
Back in those times.....1996-at least the early 2000's, it was not uncommon to see glue sniffers in central Udon.
It's not uncommon these days to read of a drug addict burning down a family's home or taking some other sort of revenge after failing to obtain money from the family.....in Udon/surrounding villages.
This is certainly not some recent sort of problem to the area.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 8, 2022, 3:10 pm

The numbness to Thailand's methamphetamine addiction is already here. The tragedy in NBL won't change a thing. It was the kids of the poorer, country folk after all.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » October 8, 2022, 3:39 pm

There are so many yabba pills coming into the country the price is at an all time low .. years gone by a single tablet was 300 bt , im told today its 10 - 20 bt. When i lived in rural Buriram it was way easier to say who wasnt taking yabba in the village then who was .. some taking it to help them work long hours rubber cutting whilst others to enhance their mundane lives with whatever high it offers..
I cant comment on the feeling yabba or any drug gives you never tried any .. i have never smoked a cigarette in my life , my only vice being im partial to a few beverages of the amber variety now n then... thats enough for my few hours ""high""

ive seen first hand what this drug does to people , families .. it destroys minds bodies and lives and is the demon gripping this country.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 8, 2022, 4:05 pm

[quote="Drunk Monkey" post_id=660336 time=1665218358 user_id=328855

My only vice being im partial to a few beverages of the amber variety now n then...

DM
[/quote]

Really?
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Return to “Thailand News”