Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Re: Traffic Enforcement Fantasy

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 31, 2022, 6:20 pm

Time for a musical interlube https://youtu.be/WGoq_rVMucQ

Dm
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 31, 2022, 6:43 pm

I'm pretty sure the needle on our record player wore right through that album.....at least once.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » January 31, 2022, 8:02 pm

The primary difference between trying to compare 3rd world countries like Thailand with developed western countries is like comparing apples to oranges. The US may have lots of uninsured motorists but they have a ton of law enforcemnt individuals patrolling the roads and citing/arresting offenders. Here there are none. I'm not advocating a police state by any means but when I see a motorcycle cop do nothing at an intersection where there are numerous motorcycle riders without helmets it appears to me there is no law enforcement to speak of here in UT. Enacting new laws without police enforcing the laws is just a total waste of taxpayer's money. Incidently, Florida suspends uninsured drivers on a regular basis because the insurance companies are directly linked to the driver's license bureau. You drop your insurance, and the state will suspend your license and suspend your license plate. From there it's just a matter of time before you'll be pulled over and arrested. As best I can recall US police all have computers in their car which they use on a regular basis to check vehicles legal status while they're on patrol.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » January 31, 2022, 8:22 pm

And there was me thinking those computers were only there to tell them what colour the driver should be :-k

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » January 31, 2022, 8:39 pm

Let's face it - until Thailand chooses to get itself a police force that even approaches standards worthy of the name, things are not going to change at all in relation to driving standards and enforcement.

When it is up to you to make a choice of whether you want to drive with regard to your own safety, and others on the road; or you couldn't give a fuuuccck because you don't know any better or there are no consequences, or you drive a Benz/BMW/black Fortuner or Ranger pickup, a sizeable percentage will always be in the latter category.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » January 31, 2022, 8:47 pm

But I've got fully comprehensive insurance ....... I took the motor straight to the temple to be blessed as soon as I bought it

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 31, 2022, 8:58 pm

Talking of ANPR (automatic number plate recognition), the police in the UK used it and caught an old guy who'd apparently been driving for over 70 years without a license or insurance.

https://www.insider.com/uk-84-year-old- ... -12-2022-1

As someone with "nothing to hide", it was still unnerving to be pulled over in the UK last year on the claim that I had run a red light. All they really wanted to know what the two guys in hoodies and baseball caps driving a brand new VW Golf with London plates doing a 3-point turn in a loading bay in Blackburn after making a wrong turn were really up to. I had proffered my Thai DL as that's what I used to rent the car. He typed my name in his "iPad" and told me I still had a UK license with an address in Lancaster and asked why I wasn't using it. He seemed to be unaware when I told him that I would have been breaking the law if I had used it but just like the "ran a red light" ruse, he probably knew. With no evidence of law breaking, we were no longer detained but they did circle the parking lot outside Halfords to make sure we went where we said we were going.

A retired cop who's a friend of mine said the "running a red light" is the standard reason given for an unexpected traffic stop in the UK. Pretty much like the "broken tail light" excuse American cops use for first interdiction?

Watching some of the reality traffic cop shows on UK television after my "run in" gave me idea of how prevalent ANPR use is. I also learned that late model VW Golfs are near the top of cars most likely to be stolen by young, unlicensed juvenile delinquents. Next time I'll rent something more luxurious with a GPS that works!
Last edited by tamada on January 31, 2022, 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 31, 2022, 9:03 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
January 31, 2022, 8:22 pm
And there was me thinking those computers were only there to tell them what colour the driver should be :-k
It "caught" two elderly white guys in Blackburn. Epic fail IMHO.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 31, 2022, 9:07 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
January 31, 2022, 8:47 pm
But I've got fully comprehensive insurance ....... I took the motor straight to the temple to be blessed as soon as I bought it
Like my ex- who spent a lot of time searching for a better quality monk/temple/blessing each time after getting the motor back from the body shop.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 1, 2022, 7:03 am

seems like pedestrian crossings are in the spot light att he moment ... this after a young female doctor was killed inBkk by a off duty policeman on a Ducati whilst using a crossing..and yesterday an elderly lady squashed on a PC by an SUV .. fortunately was not killed.

New painted PCs being done all over the country including Udon ..in readiness for the new laws n fines which will or will not be enforced.

IMO blatant red light jumping is the worst and most often seen offence ...thats before we even get onto drink driving , double parking and going the wrong way against the traffic flow .

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 1, 2022, 7:48 am

Based on observations during Pattaya's "experiment" with light-controlled pedestrian crossings, most cars would stop at a red light whereas most motorbikes did not. This led to quite a few pedestrians being taken out by a speeding bike that was shooting the gap between stationary vehicles. Pretty much the same situation in Bangkok where the doctor was killed?

Get back to me in about 10 years on this Thailand driver's education idea (and a further 10 years on law enforcement).
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 1, 2022, 9:50 am

Part of the problem which we ALL know is complete lack of Driver/Rider training and subsequent testing.
They learn when young, take a test ( if they have taken one ) obtained a licence ( possibly ) and because as long as they have Mandatory Insurance and the vehicle/motorbike is licensed feel that they can ride /drive and NO-ONE gives a Rats Arse. .....Except when someone dies and then it is NEVER their fault. !!

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » February 15, 2022, 12:56 pm

Two articles in the Thai news today.
"Bangkok to equip 100 zebra crossings with traffic lights in two weeks."
"Campaign needed to educate Thai drivers about stopping at red traffic lights."
https://www.thaipbsworld.com/bangkok-to ... two-weeks/

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 15, 2022, 4:17 pm

The simple FACT that the Thai Government thinks it needs to EDUCATE Thai drivers to stop at RED LIGHTS, not only beggars belief but shows that the nearly Quarter of a Million RTP officers are not up to the job plus the fines are so ludicrous that it is certainly has zero deterrence on the offender.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 15, 2022, 4:48 pm

might not be too hot at catching Red Light Runners but their Sh*t hot at catching people sitting on coral reefs.
Perhaps the Thai govt ought to request all Traffic violators to publish self incriminating photos on Facebook to give RTPolice a helping hand

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » February 16, 2022, 5:21 am

More news from Bangkok:
"All overhead cables in Bangkok will be buried underground within the next three years, it has been revealed."
According to Palang Pracharath Party MP Korranit Ngamsukonratana, who chairs the sub-committee on the organisation of electrical cables, work will be begin later this year to bury almost 1,400 kilometres of cables in the capital.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » February 16, 2022, 4:14 pm

interesting if they pull every cable down every side street and soi throughout what is officially soon to be known internationally as "Krungthemp Maha Nakhon..." Outside our house by the Soi there must be 20+ cables slung willy-nilly up onto the utility poles.. Some drooping near to ground level, some long inactive (our old 3BB cable after we upgraded and they installed a new one..)
Dave

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 16, 2022, 4:45 pm

Should make for fun in a few years time. Roads and pavements dug up every 5 mins instead of every 10 mins to repair/renew the cables. Its gonna make Soi pothole in Patters look like a bowling green. Wonder who has the contract for road repairs in Bkk?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 16, 2022, 5:25 pm

Why would they dig anything up. Cables laid underground are far more reliable than the ones strung up on poles exposed to the elements, too tall trucks and thieves, etc..
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Return to “Thailand News”