Insurance requirements up to 3Million baht

Thailand news, views and comments
Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Re: Insurance requirements up to 3Million baht

Post by Kenr6583 » October 20, 2021, 1:13 pm

Yes I understand that, and I appreciate you pointing that out. Like I stated previously, the verbiage that was used after the September 1, 2022 date, it could have been interpreted either way. And I do appreciate yourself and others for pointing that out to me concerning the O-A Visa.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 20, 2021, 1:35 pm

The insurance requirement that previously applied to the O-A visa ONLY will now be applied to ALL long stay visa types.

An extension, be it for retirement or marriage, also enables a long stay and will also require this insurance. This is a logical extension of insurance requirements across ALL methods of "livin' in LOS longtime".

Time for the great uninsured to get insured before they turn 65.

Those over that age need to try and get (more) fit BEFORE they try and get insured as they will attract a medical examination as part of getting insurance.

Better quit smokin' an' drinkin' and hangin' out at the cow shed on sampan. You know it makes sense.

Those having a fresh wave of existential angst are cordially invited to join the UFES weekly get together at papafarang's poolside retreat so you can have all your options fully explored for you. For them what's not here, joining by Zoom is encouraged but may not be supported.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » October 20, 2021, 1:54 pm

Certain Insurance Companies also allow you to become insure until you are 70

samsam
udonmap.com

Post by samsam » October 20, 2021, 1:55 pm

noosard wrote:
October 20, 2021, 1:07 pm
The statement is not from a government department only an Expat club
it is all maybe what may happen down the track
Yeah sombody want's to sell insurance, better wait for the official one!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 20, 2021, 2:30 pm

noosard wrote:
Correct.

As is usually the case with announcements of this kind, the best advice is to wait and see what the official version says.
Last edited by jackspratt on October 20, 2021, 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » October 20, 2021, 2:37 pm

tamada wrote:
October 20, 2021, 1:35 pm
The insurance requirement that previously applied to the O-A visa ONLY will now be applied to ALL long stay visa types.

An extension, be it for retirement or marriage, also enables a long stay and will also require this insurance. This is a logical extension of insurance requirements across ALL methods of "livin' in LOS longtime".

Time for the great uninsured to get insured before they turn 65.

Those over that age need to try and get (more) fit BEFORE they try and get insured as they will attract a medical examination as part of getting insurance.Knowing how very hard it is to change old habits..will not happen amongst the Farangs here in Udon..Just look at the Farangs you me in Macro/Big-C..exercise is a word they do not know the meaning of..but we can always hope..

Better quit smokin' an' drinkin' and hangin' out at the cow shed on sampan. You know it makes sense.As i said before,a wet dream for most..but if their is will and good support/reasons..just maybe then someone will take the bull by the horn..All of you that need support,why not use THIS Forum to start a health -quit drinking-smoking group..But i guess the answer to that is..please fill in the blanks..;-)

Those having a fresh wave of existential angst are cordially invited to join the UFES weekly get together at papafarang's poolside retreat so you can have all your options fully explored for you. For them what's not here, joining by Zoom is encouraged but may not be supported.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » October 20, 2021, 3:09 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:
October 20, 2021, 10:21 am
my thoughts? Just more money to be spent for a bureaucratic requirement. I've got my own Stateside insurance but that isn't accpetable since the authorities required "government approved" companies only. Anybody heard immigration accepting policies other than the approved ones? That's not counting bogus visa broker provided accounts..
I asked immigration in KK 2 years ago whether they would accept my comprehensive insurance policy arranged in the UK for my OA Visa. I got a resounding "no".

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » October 20, 2021, 3:10 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:
October 20, 2021, 10:21 am
my thoughts? Just more money to be spent for a bureaucratic requirement. I've got my own Stateside insurance but that isn't accpetable since the authorities required "government approved" companies only. Anybody heard immigration accepting policies other than the approved ones? That's not counting bogus visa broker provided accounts..
I asked immigration in KK 2 years ago whether they would accept my comprehensive insurance policy arranged in the UK for my OA Visa. I got a resounding "no".

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » October 20, 2021, 3:44 pm

noosard wrote:
May I remind everyone that this Thai Expat Club site appears to be just an entity that sells insurance and other related services, so I wouldn't put much faith in what they are saying. They are just clever enough to twist words, add words or leave out words in such a way that would scare the daylights out of a few people who would wind up calling them to buy insurance prematurely. I'd wait for some official announcement from Immigration before letting this upset anyone. Just read the Disclaimer at the bottom of their webpage:

DISCLAIMER: The information contained in this report has been obtained from sources believed to be accurate and reliable. However, Thai Expat Club makes no representation as to the accuracy and completeness of such information. Information and opinions expressed herein are subject to change without notice. In particular, Thai Expat Club does not guarantee the accuracy of information related to immigration processes and requirements in this report nor do we accept any liability for any loss or damage of any kind arising out of the use of such information or opinions in this report. Readers are advised to do their own research before making decisions relating to visa transfers and migration to Thailand. All rights are reserved.
This report may not be reproduced, distributed or published by any person in any manner for any purpose without the permission of Thai Expat Club
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

samsam
udonmap.com

Post by samsam » October 20, 2021, 4:06 pm

Doodoo wrote:
October 20, 2021, 1:54 pm
Certain Insurance Companies also allow you to become insure until you are 70
And some till you are 75!

samsam
udonmap.com

Post by samsam » October 20, 2021, 4:10 pm

semperfiguy wrote:
October 20, 2021, 3:44 pm
noosard wrote:
May I remind everyone that this Thai Expat Club site appears to be just an entity that sells insurance and other related services, so I wouldn't put much faith in what they are saying. They are just clever enough to twist words, add words or leave out words in such a way that would scare the daylights out of a few people who would wind up calling them to buy insurance prematurely. I'd wait for some official announcement from Immigration before letting this upset anyone. Just read the Disclaimer at the bottom of their webpage:

DISCLAIMER: The information contained in this report has been obtained from sources believed to be accurate and reliable. However, Thai Expat Club makes no representation as to the accuracy and completeness of such information. Information and opinions expressed herein are subject to change without notice. In particular, Thai Expat Club does not guarantee the accuracy of information related to immigration processes and requirements in this report nor do we accept any liability for any loss or damage of any kind arising out of the use of such information or opinions in this report. Readers are advised to do their own research before making decisions relating to visa transfers and migration to Thailand. All rights are reserved.
This report may not be reproduced, distributed or published by any person in any manner for any purpose without the permission of Thai Expat Club
Hear Hear, best answer so far, thank you Semperfi Guy!

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » October 20, 2021, 4:14 pm

At last, some common sense! As I stated earlier this topic has been flogged to death in the past!
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » October 20, 2021, 4:41 pm

semperfiguy wrote:
noosard wrote:

Thanks SFG .. as you say at the moment its basically pure guesswork coming from an unofficial entity in an atempt to make some mo ey vis scarmongering.

As ever wait n see as confirmed OFFICIAL announcenents are made via the proper authourities.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Declan MacPherson
udonmap.com

Post by Declan MacPherson » October 20, 2021, 7:07 pm

semperfiguy wrote:
noosard wrote:

Excellent post and observation. =D>

I caught their affiliation and long disclaimer, too. :lol:
"Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." - Ephesians 6:11

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » October 20, 2021, 9:38 pm

It was announced on Thai PBS, via the Deputy Public Health Minister, that the new 3 million baht insurance policy affects only non-immigrant OA visas.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » October 20, 2021, 11:45 pm

Kenr6583 wrote:
October 20, 2021, 9:38 pm
It was announced on Thai PBS, via the Deputy Public Health Minister, that the new 3 million baht insurance policy affects only non-immigrant OA visas.
Hi ken6583,

You and I had this discussion in December 2020, under Thailand Visa and Migration, Non Immigrant O and O A Visa, Page 13 & 14. I think we were on the same Page, at the time. "so to speak".

Quote: I hope it never comes to this, but I think any future Visa or VISA exempt entry, Thailand might start requiring some type of insurance for the duration of stay. Again, I hope it never comes to this, but I have a feeling it just might.

Quote: I am almost sure that it will in the future, maybe the very near future - requiring all Foreigners, both currently residing in Thailand and those looking to come in and retire to Thailand down the track, to have Medical Insurance Cover. The days for Foreigners living in Thailand for any long stay period, without having Medical Insurance in Thailand, are numbered, in my view. It will almost certainly be applied to new Applications from Foreigners and in all probability be part of the process with Thai Immigration for those when one extending their Stay Visa.

I expect it is something that we will all have to live with, if as a Foreigner, we wish to live Long Stay in Thailand, in the future.

Quote: It's ........... a point of concern.

Quote: I don't think it is too speculative or illogical to suggest that in the future all Foreigners who to stay or live in Thailand, will be required under Thai law or immigration policy to have some degree of Medical Insurance.

Quote: So, what does a Foreigner do, when he is going on 70 to 75 (assuming he is on a Non Imm O Visa - changed to a One Year Retirement Visa, which needs to be extended every 12 months) and when he does not have a current Thai based Insurance Policy in place, if the TG decides to expand the requirement a Thai based Insurance Policy, to more visa groups. The Foreigner cannot object to the change in law or policy, nor even he then find a way to extend his stay in the country? Does he then pack up and leave for Cambodia.

:-k I think the chickens are coming home to roost :-k

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » October 21, 2021, 12:41 am

pipoz4444 wrote:
October 20, 2021, 11:45 pm
Kenr6583 wrote:
October 20, 2021, 9:38 pm
Hi ken6583,

You and I had this discussion in December 2020, under Thailand Visa and Migration, Non Immigrant O and O A Visa, Page 13 & 14. I think we were on the same Page, at the time. "so to speak".

Quote: I hope it never comes to this, but I think any future Visa or VISA exempt entry, Thailand might start requiring some type of insurance for the duration of stay. Again, I hope it never comes to this, but I have a feeling it just might.

Quote: I am almost sure that it will in the future, maybe the very near future - requiring all Foreigners, both currently residing in Thailand and those looking to come in and retire to Thailand down the track, to have Medical Insurance Cover. The days for Foreigners living in Thailand for any long stay period, without having Medical Insurance in Thailand, are numbered, in my view. It will almost certainly be applied to new Applications from Foreigners and in all probability be part of the process with Thai Immigration for those when one extending their Stay Visa.

I expect it is something that we will all have to live with, if as a Foreigner, we wish to live Long Stay in Thailand, in the future.

Quote: It's ........... a point of concern.

Quote: I don't think it is too speculative or illogical to suggest that in the future all Foreigners who to stay or live in Thailand, will be required under Thai law or immigration policy to have some degree of Medical Insurance.

Quote: So, what does a Foreigner do, when he is going on 70 to 75 (assuming he is on a Non Imm O Visa - changed to a One Year Retirement Visa, which needs to be extended every 12 months) and when he does not have a current Thai based Insurance Policy in place, if the TG decides to expand the requirement a Thai based Insurance Policy, to more visa groups. The Foreigner cannot object to the change in law or policy, nor even he then find a way to extend his stay in the country? Does he then pack up and leave for Cambodia.

:-k I think the chickens are coming home to roost :-k

pipoz4444
Yes sir, I remember our conversation quite well. I'm pretty sure there will come a day when that will happen, just kind of hoping it's not in the too much near future, LOL. That's one of the reasons why I will be going the Elite Visa route, it's not considered a retirement Visa, but like you said, it might not make a difference.. But it's going to be what it's going to be, just a visitor there, I would have to either live with it or get out. Cambodia and Mexico is my Plan B and Plan C.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » October 21, 2021, 1:27 am

Another nail in the coffin of the OA visa.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » October 21, 2021, 1:28 am

Hi Ken6583,

I took out Policy with PC, 3 months before I turned 65, so no medial needed, just the paperwork. A policy with a deductible, because I don't actually plan to actually use it, other than for the Visa issue/requirement, if it eventuates and becomes permanent, and also on the off chance for that one rainy day in the future, if I really do need to call on it.

That way the yearly premium is more manageable even in my later years. Works out its will cost around B 1.2 Mill over the next 14 years, assuming I get to 80 years old. Haven't bothered thinking or planning beyond that, although Plan C is probably the Temple BBQ.

Am also looking at the Elite Visa, towards the end of next year. They seem to have a number of new Elite Visa programs these days, starting with
1.Elite Easy Access for what B 600,000 for 5 year Membership
2.Elite Superiority Extension: Says right to live in Thailand, 20 Year Membership (??) for B 1.0 Mill. Probably a typo.

Will have to do some more homework, when it Thailand, next month on what you actually get for the membership fee and how long that membership if really secure for.

pipoz4444
Last edited by pipoz4444 on October 25, 2021, 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » October 21, 2021, 2:25 am

pipoz4444 wrote:
October 21, 2021, 1:28 am
Hi Ken6583,

I took out Policy with PC, 3 months before I turned 65, so no medial needed, just the paperwork. A policy with a deductible, because is I don't actually plan to actually use it, other than for the Visa issue/requirement, if it eventuates and becomes permanent, and also on the off chance for that one rainy day in the future, if I really do need to call on it.

That way the yearly premium is more manageable even in my later years. Works out its will cost around B 1.2 Mill over the next 14 years, assuming I get to 80 years old. Haven't bothered thinking or planning beyond that, although Plan C is probably the Temple BBQ.

Am also looking at the Elite Visa, towards the end of next year. They seem to have a number of new Elite Visa programs these days, starting with
1.Elite Easy Access for what B 600,000 for 5 year Membership
2,Elite Superiority Extension: Says right to live in Thailand, 20 Year Membership (??) for B 1.0 Mill. Probably a typo.

Will have to do some more homework, when it Thailand, next month on what you actually get for the membership fee and how long that membership if really secure for.

pipoz4444
I spoke to Siam Legal via email, best one for me is the 20-year 1 million baht Visa, not a typo. Being that I can't get back into Thailand this year, around January early February I'm going to submit my application for the background check, and I should have an answer by early March.

I pretty much have the gist of the details on this Visa, so if you have any questions just give me a holler and I can let you know what I know.

Return to “Thailand News”