Thailand's Police

Thailand news, views and comments
glalt
udonmap.com

Re: Thailand's Police

Post by glalt » August 30, 2022, 10:59 am

Money usually tells the tale. There is an unusual wealth law on the books now. Obviously it is not being used and certainly not being enforced. Having to account for unusual wealth would make many officials very uncomfortable.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » August 30, 2022, 3:13 pm

oh the laws on it are indeed on the books but selectively enforced. . the National AntiCorruption Commission (NACC) is responsible for doing it if charges are laid.. Problem is it takes forever unless the charged person is one of those on the outs with the powers that be...
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 8, 2022, 2:33 pm

Food for thought anytime you think this is just a Thai problem:
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/07/nyre ... tions.html

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 9, 2022, 6:40 am

Meanwhile, it looks like the RTP are going to investigate themselves (again).

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... triad-link
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 9, 2022, 7:12 am

Thereare many laws o the Books as it were, but as with so many countries implementation is often hit or miss. Money corrupts, always has and always will even if the person being corrupted is NOT POOR.

Here sadly many many Government Agencies do not TRUST or EVEN believe entities that are deemed upright and legal.
You have to get a letter to p[rove your alive to get a licence ( even though you are standing in front of them ). You have top get a letter from a bank for Visa reasons, even though the book of your account says you have enough.
I was asked to prove I could live where I do , even though i have a yellow Book and been there for 20 years.

It comes a no surp[rise therefore o find that these Triad Gangs were assisted by he BIB, we see it all the time, . The BIB have their fingers in many pies and many sadly are illegal entities .

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » December 9, 2022, 9:44 am

Most of us are guilty of breaking some law. Thailand has many obscure laws that are very selectively enforced depending on the situation. If someone causes a problem, there is no doubt a law to charge them with.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » February 22, 2024, 9:58 am

The Deputy Commissioner of the Royal Thai Police (RTP), Surachate “Big Joke” Hakparn, faces two charges after financial transactions of his were found linked with the online gambling operators.
The money from the gambling operation went to five police officers and their family members. The money was spent daily on house rent, car purchases, tuition fees, holidays, etc.
Money well spent, then.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 22, 2024, 10:48 am

mak wrote:
February 22, 2024, 9:58 am
The Deputy Commissioner of the Royal Thai Police (RTP), Surachate “Big Joke” Hakparn, faces two charges after financial transactions of his were found linked with the online gambling operators.
The money from the gambling operation went to five police officers and their family members. The money was spent daily on house rent, car purchases, tuition fees, holidays, etc.
Money well spent, then.
If true, maybe he wasn't paying it to the right superiors?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » February 22, 2024, 12:19 pm

I am amazed every night when I watch the news on Thai channels. The police make good use of surveillance cameras and catch suspects within a day or true, and get the suspects to confess and re-create the crime. Do they even bother with a trial once the guilty party has walked the police through the crime scene? It amazes me that the criminals, in particular, teenage gang members commit their violent crimes when they know the cameras have them caught in the act. They must not care about getting arrested.

On the other hand, suspects such as the cyanide killer disappear from site and her status, and that of her husband, are unclear. Furthermore, the wealthy (both foreigners and Thais) seem to face a more lax form of justice.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » February 22, 2024, 12:47 pm

LALA

One must have the ALL information to come to a reliable discission, Lala
Maybe you do not have such with what you see on the evening news

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » February 22, 2024, 12:52 pm

Your amazed EVERY night. I am amazed that you are amazed. TIT.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » February 22, 2024, 12:59 pm

The Thai morning/evening/nightly news shows the video of the crime 3-5 times, then the police rounding up the people/person who committed the crime 3-5 times and then footage of the person/people walking the police and reporters through the crime scene and confessing on camera to the police and reporters 3-5 times. Sometimes a reporter will ask the arrested person why they did it. That's how it seems to work on the news casts, Doodoo. My question is, do they still have to go through a trial? Do you know? I don't.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » February 22, 2024, 1:45 pm

The wife watches soap operas also where they have the same scenarios

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » February 22, 2024, 2:04 pm

Doodoo wrote:
February 22, 2024, 1:45 pm
The wife watches soap operas also where they have the same scenarios
We watch some of those soap operas too; however, the quality of the storylines has slipped lately so we switch to Thai/Hong Kong movies on 236/237. Andy Lau seems to be in a movie almost every day.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » February 22, 2024, 3:02 pm

Nice to see a biblical character on a HK soap
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » February 23, 2024, 8:28 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
February 22, 2024, 12:59 pm
My question is, do they still have to go through a trial? Do you know? I don't.
My understanding is that if the accused confesses, the prosecutor, defense attorney and judge sit down and figure out the appropriate punishment, whether cash payment to the victim(s), prison time, or both.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » February 23, 2024, 9:59 am

Udon Map wrote:
February 23, 2024, 8:28 am
Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
February 22, 2024, 12:59 pm
My question is, do they still have to go through a trial? Do you know? I don't.
My understanding is that if the accused confesses, the prosecutor, defense attorney and judge sit down and figure out the appropriate punishment, whether cash payment to the victim(s), prison time, or both.
Thanks. That makes sense. I believe Indonesia, the Philippines and Hong Kong have the same sort of system. At least Hong Kong under the British followed a similar procedure. It might have changed once Hong Kong was returned to China.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 23, 2024, 5:37 pm

They might very we34ll decide the punishment but the VICTIM does not really gat a say a compromise is the best way the THAI LEGAL System Works

Going back to posts title, while we often despair at the actions and the way THAI POLICE OPERATE, let us not forget that their training for the basic officer is poor and I have found out that also purchasing the necessary is not cheap .
THE way everyone has to have a gun ( whether they know how to use it or not ) whereas supply at the station at the beginning of a shift and turning it in when the shift finishes would I FEEL cut down on the number of gun related incidents involving officers when off duty.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » February 24, 2024, 10:53 am

Thanks, Khun Paul.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » March 21, 2024, 2:14 pm

The Prime Minister of Thailand suspended two top police chiefs of the Royal Thai Police (RTP) from their positions due to alleged internal conflict and connections to online gambling.

PM Srettha Thavisin, yesterday, March 20, transferred the RTP Commissioner Torsak “Big Tor” Sukvimol and Deputy Commissioner Surachate “Big Joke” Hakparn, to temporary roles at the Prime Minister’s Office for 60 days. Police General Kitrat Phanphet has been assigned as acting RTP commissioner.
Attachments
Big Joke 2.jpeg

Return to “Thailand News”