Huge fire at chemical factory Samut Prakhon

Thailand news, views and comments
Zidane
udonmap.com

Huge fire at chemical factory Samut Prakhon

Post by Zidane » July 6, 2021, 7:57 am

This was a big story in Thailand yesterday. There were explosions and a huge fire at a chemical factory in Samut Prakhon. The blast could be heard up to 10 kilometres away. Firefighters struggled to control the blaze all day and, sadly, an 18 year old firefighter died when he stumbled trying to escape the flames.
Over 60 people were injured and many evacuated from there homes because of the danger of the fire spreading and poisonous fumes.
Just 10km from Suvarnabhumi airport but flights, as yet, unaffected.
RIP to the brave young man who died.

Report below from Khaosod English.....

BANGKOK (AP) — A massive explosion at a chemical factory on the outskirts of Bangkok early Monday killed at least one person, injured dozens more and damaged scores of homes, while prompting the evacuation of a wide area over fears of poisonous fumes and the possibility of additional denotations.

The fire broke out at around 3 a.m. at a foam and plastic pellet manufacturing factory just outside Bangkok near Suvarnabhumi Airport, with the explosion blowing out windows of surrounding homes and sending debris raining from the air.

The blast could be heard for kilometers (miles) and surveillance footage from a nearby house captured the bright flash and boom, followed by the damage to the home and the one next door from the shockwaves.

The main blaze at the Ming Dih Chemical factory had been brought under control by mid-morning, but an enormous tank containing the chemical styrene monomer continued to burn, said local disaster prevention official Chailit Suwannakitpong.

Late in the afternoon, dense clouds of black smoke continued to billow from the site and helicopters tried to navigate close enough to dump fire retardant onto it, initially with little apparent success.
FB_IMG_1625532304149.jpg

Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Re: Huge fire at chemical factory Samut Prakhon

Post by Drunk Monkey » July 6, 2021, 8:03 am

I followed this on the Thairath ch 32 yesterday ..terrible accident and some of the nearby cctv footage at the time of the blast is like something out of a movie .. it did initially show the fireman trying to get out before a secondary blast n fireball i would hope these images have been deleted .

Very sad such a young fireman lost his life RIP to this guy.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Return to “Thailand News”