Shunned by Chinese, Thai tourism braces for slump

Post by RLTrader » October 27, 2019, 1:35 pm

Shunned by Chinese, Thai tourism braces for slump

https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/10/video ... r-slump-3/

laksnrub
udonmap.com

Re: Shunned by Chinese, Thai tourism braces for slump

Post by laksnrub » October 27, 2019, 3:32 pm

We'll see by Christmas, how the high baht slows the tourist.
Quality is best done first

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » October 28, 2019, 4:55 am

Not just Thailand ! We recently got back from Vietnam where luckily most of the tourists were Korean .
The Chinese i did see were loud , ignorant and totally disrespectful to the locals , basically in my opinion , animals .
However the Koreans were very nice people to be around . Happy , polite and very well mannered .
So if the Chinese stay away from Thailand . Good .

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » October 28, 2019, 5:04 am

saint wrote:
October 28, 2019, 4:55 am
Not just Thailand ! We recently got back from Vietnam where luckily most of the tourists were Korean .
The Chinese i did see were loud , ignorant and totally disrespectful to the locals , basically in my opinion , animals .
However the Koreans were very nice people to be around . Happy , polite and very well mannered .
More Chinese cancer spreading.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » October 28, 2019, 7:14 am

jai yen yen wrote:
October 28, 2019, 5:04 am
saint wrote:
If my memories of Vietnam are correct, the majority of Vietnamese hate the Chinese both historically and more recently because of the South China Sea situation. Surprised that many Chinese even go there for a vacation.

Raoul Duke
udonmap.com

Post by Raoul Duke » October 28, 2019, 8:14 am

saint wrote:
The Chinese are already here and are fully ingrained.
Take a look around.Temples,shops,food,the features of the people.
Voiceover for hire.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » October 28, 2019, 8:36 am

Raoul Duke wrote:
October 28, 2019, 8:14 am
saint wrote:
The Chinese are already here and are fully ingrained.
Take a look around.Temples,shops,food,the features of the people.
There is a one hundred percent difference between the Chinese tourist and those that immigrate here hundreds of years ago. I firmly think the tourists from China now are reflecting the current state of their country.

Raoul Duke
udonmap.com

Post by Raoul Duke » October 28, 2019, 10:03 am

The Chinese haven't stopped migrating to Thailand.
Get used to them as more will be aboard the high speed rail carriages.
Voiceover for hire.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 28, 2019, 10:19 am

AlexO wrote:
October 28, 2019, 7:14 am
jai yen yen wrote:
saint wrote:
If my memories of Vietnam are correct, the majority of Vietnamese hate the Chinese both historically and more recently because of the South China Sea situation. Surprised that many Chinese even go there for a vacation.
As a frequent worker in Vietnam, I reckon you are not far wrong there and there's no love lost. I supervised a Chinese contractor working onshore for a division of PetroVietnam several years ago and it was a huge challenge. I had to toe a fine line between my client (PV) intent on ass-raping the Chinese on invoices and keeping the hard-working Chinese from calling force majeure just to get the job completed. PV had awarded the work to the Chinese but insisted they were doing a ---- job (which they weren't), hence the stalled payments. I used to keep the contractor onside by informally saying their intransigent PV client were simply behaving like 'southern Chinese' and kept PV onside by publicly supporting their claims of Chinese ineptitude.

More recently, I finished a job offshore for an American client just before the Chinese drill rig started drilling in the adjacent Vietnamese concession block; 2015 I think? There was some violence directed at Chinese businesses in Saigon and embassy protests but Nha Trang was chock full of Chinese tourists only a few months later. The Vietnamese do know which side their (tourism) bread is buttered on.

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » October 28, 2019, 2:17 pm

there were multiple tour buses rolling in chinese temple by park very early this morning. domestic
tourism i guess. thats a thing these temple tours

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » October 28, 2019, 4:37 pm

tamada wrote:
October 28, 2019, 10:19 am
AlexO wrote:
October 28, 2019, 7:14 am
jai yen yen wrote:
saint wrote:
As a frequent worker in Vietnam, I reckon you are not far wrong there and there's no love lost. I supervised a Chinese contractor working onshore for a division of PetroVietnam several years ago and it was a huge challenge. I had to toe a fine line between my client (PV) intent on ass-raping the Chinese on invoices and keeping the hard-working Chinese from calling force majeure just to get the job completed. PV had awarded the work to the Chinese but insisted they were doing a ---- job (which they weren't), hence the stalled payments. I used to keep the contractor onside by informally saying their intransigent PV client were simply behaving like 'southern Chinese' and kept PV onside by publicly supporting their claims of Chinese ineptitude.

More recently, I finished a job offshore for an American client just before the Chinese drill rig started drilling in the adjacent Vietnamese concession block; 2015 I think? There was some violence directed at Chinese businesses in Saigon and embassy protests but Nha Trang was chock full of Chinese tourists only a few months later. The Vietnamese do know which side their (tourism) bread is buttered on.

Agree Tam
But delayed payments for everything in construction is pretty much the norm all over Vietnam. We had a semi riot between Vietnamese workers and Thai workers in the accommodation camp on a mine processing plant north of Hanoi, dread to think what it would have been if it had been Chinese instead of Thai's. I suppose the filthy lucra that comes with tourism is too hard to resist. Nha Trang nearly my favourite place in Vietnam.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » October 28, 2019, 8:15 pm

Raoul Duke wrote:
October 28, 2019, 10:03 am
The Chinese haven't stopped migrating to Thailand.
Get used to them as more will be aboard the high speed rail carriages.
Speculation or do you have proof, as any Chinese immigration must meet the same standards as you or I if we were immigrants, not visitors

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » October 28, 2019, 8:18 pm

domestic tourism is supposed to be the latest hail
mary play as chinese arent coming, indians arent coming,russians arent coming. westerners leaving

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » October 28, 2019, 8:57 pm

mech_401 wrote:
October 28, 2019, 8:18 pm
domestic tourism is supposed to be the latest hail
mary play as chinese arent coming, indians arent coming,russians arent coming. westerners leaving
We went to a village 20km from us to visit some of the Father in Laws family whose village was having a Make Merit ceremony, were we tourists?? Same as internal domestic flights, are all the Government workers on the flights counted as internal tourists?? Too much hiding a failing economy. No Hi So cares about the Thai economy, just me, me, me first.

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » October 29, 2019, 12:31 am

think this is going to be the slowest " high season"
in years. i really do feel for those working in industry, hanging on . big disappointments coming

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 29, 2019, 12:21 pm

mech_401 wrote:
October 29, 2019, 12:31 am
think this is going to be the slowest " high season"
in years. i really do feel for those working in industry, hanging on . big disappointments coming
As a former Pattaya denizen, I can only agree that this is one to watch. Outside of the struggles wrought of immigration's income changes and a strong baht, I personally know 3 long-term, comfortably well off, farang bar or commercial or residential property owners who are taking a long hard look at where their Thai investments will stand next summer. Maybe it will be time to cash in on that Soi Post Office shophouse that was bought for 8 m baht 30 years ago, take the +45 m baht offered and go home. Time to settle for the 12 m baht offered for the 5-bedrooom villa in a gated community on the dark side after rent asks have slumped by 25% from the 50 k baht/month of less than 10 years ago. It's bought and paid for after all so sell it and retire to where you have rights including the right to die at home versus in a hospital.

But this should also be a watershed moment for the government. Maybe they will realize that the old model of reactive tourist marketing that seems to be the only game in TAT's playbook is long past the use-by date. There's absolutely nothing new under the sun here and the lack of legendary service one gets at the likes of the Mandarin or Peninsula has nothing to do with the imported cheap labour that the 5-star hotel guest with high expectations now puts up with, never to return. From Bangkok to Chiang Mai to Phuket, they've lost their mojo.

Return to “Thailand News”