Missing Boys in Caves.

Thailand news, views and comments
choi choi
udonmap.com

Re: Missing Boys in Caves.

Post by choi choi » June 30, 2018, 9:08 pm

parrot wrote:
June 30, 2018, 5:09 pm
I saw a post on another site.......a sign at the entrance warns of flooding......from July - ?Nov?
Signs mean little in Thailand. Look on the road behavour! TIT!
Should have been shored up for the rainy season!
Other wise it's Mai ben Rai!

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » June 30, 2018, 10:20 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:
June 30, 2018, 3:25 pm
jai yen yen wrote:
June 30, 2018, 2:11 pm
Very sad, I hope the boys are alright but I have my doubts. Why go in a cave that is known to flood in rainy season?
Unfortunately Thai's and water is an "Oxymoron"!

For what ever reason basic water education is not in their mind set???? They have NO idea of the dangers let alone the best way of escape/survival - whether it be sea, river or land.

Can blame no one other than their education system, corrupt governments, and dare I say it - the good general up there trying to collect "Browney" points for the Feb 2019 (if it ever happens) election"
I agree but I also believe their is something about the Thai people in the way they think, for instance a mother loading a scooter up with her small children and driving onto a highway in front of a car or truck and killing everyone. They don't even look, it is almost like they are a bunch of kids doing and not thinking.

neeemu
udonmap.com

Post by neeemu » June 30, 2018, 10:47 pm

Hardly a time for native knocking.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » July 1, 2018, 4:35 am

I really hope they find these kids alive but if they do, its still going to be a long process to bring them out. These kids are not just going to strap on a set of SCUBA gear and swim out even with the aid of skilled divers. I had over 6000 dives under my belt (mostly in cold, quite dark Scottish waters with lots of wreck penetrations) before I tried my one and only cave dive which was not an enjoyable experience. They are either going to pump out enough water to be able to carry them out or keep them in survival mode until the rescue teams can drill an escape shaft and extract them vertically. Long way to go still. Pray the weather gods are kind.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » July 1, 2018, 11:21 am

What I hope the Thais learn from all of this….

Does anyone really believe that most Thais would ordinarily give two hoots about these kids and the coach? To most, these 13 people are outside their circle of friends, relatives and associates, so their lives just don’t matter to most under normal circumstances. Many will say that they got what they deserve….going into a cave during the rainy season with a clearly marked warning sign. They made a reckless decision to live “in the moment” with no regard for the consequences of their actions, and now they have caused great expense to many governments that are footing the bill for their rescue and ultimately their irresponsibility. More importantly they have put many other lives at risk of death and injury.

So what’s really driving all the attention to this big story? It appears that the Thai media has learned a great lesson from the US news media…sensational stories sell advertising, and politicians and corporations have an opportunity to make “big face” for the future. Everybody in my family is tuning-in and losing sleep over this and it’s being driven by all the hype of the news media. Every time someone clicks on a website or turns a channel, the cash registers go “kaching kaching”. School kids and other groups all over Thailand are holding vigils to show their support for this effort, and the entire country in invested in this human tragedy in one way or another.

What I hope the Thais learn from all of this is that there is power in numbers, and when people are united in a common cause they can usher in the kind of government that they really want, they can clean up the environment, get rid of corruption, reform the judicial system, reduce road deaths, reinvent the police department to be more effective in serving the public and not just their own pockets, curve the incidents of domestic abuse in TV and movies and within society in general….and the list could go on and on.

Are these 13 lives really that important and is the society’s concern and compassion misplaced? Surely, there are more important issues that should be supported with this same kind of universal effort. One week from now this will all be over, but nothing will have changed in the country. 13 more people will be killed in a single road crash, 13 more girls will be burned to death in a dorm fire and no one will really care unless the media stirs it up with all their “for profit” hype! Perhaps the efforts of the media are all misplaced. Hopefully, they will realize that significant change in the country can actually start with them. They should now understand that they can rally the citizenry for any just cause.

Having said all that, I am praying for the lives of these kids and their coach and am hopeful that they will all be reunited with their families soon.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 1, 2018, 11:51 am

Oh goody, another 'blame it on the media' angle.

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » July 1, 2018, 1:54 pm

i have faith the 13 will be found alive, and be rescued.

also, have faith that nothing will be learned from this incident. majority of thais don't think past what they are currently doing or what they want to do. that being said, i hope they make the teacher/coach pay.........say 10% of the total cost of the rescue effort. STUPIDITY SHOULD NEVER BE REWARD, even here in Thailand where it seems they reward or let slide stupidity on a daily basis.

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Post by Old Grumpy » July 1, 2018, 2:00 pm

semperfiguy wrote:
July 1, 2018, 11:21 am

Does anyone really believe that most Thais would ordinarily give two hoots about these kids and the coach? To most, these 13 people are outside their circle of friends, relatives and associates, so their lives just don’t matter to most under normal circumstances. Many will say that they got what they deserve….going into a cave during the rainy season with a clearly marked warning sign. They made a reckless decision to live “in the moment” with no regard for the consequences of their actions, and now they have caused great expense to many governments that are footing the bill for their rescue and ultimately their irresponsibility. More importantly they have put many other lives at risk of death and injury.

So what’s really driving all the attention to this big story? It appears that the Thai media has learned a great lesson from the US news media…sensational stories sell advertising, and politicians and corporations have an opportunity to make “big face” for the future. Everybody in my family is tuning-in and losing sleep over this and it’s being driven by all the hype of the news media. Every time someone clicks on a website or turns a channel, the cash registers go “kaching kaching”. School kids and other groups all over Thailand are holding vigils to show their support for this effort, and the entire country in invested in this human tragedy in one way or another.

What I hope the Thais learn from all of this is that there is power in numbers, and when people are united in a common cause they can usher in the kind of government that they really want, they can clean up the environment, get rid of corruption, reform the judicial system, reduce road deaths, reinvent the police department to be more effective in serving the public and not just their own pockets, curve the incidents of domestic abuse in TV and movies and within society in general….and the list could go on and on.

Are these 13 lives really that important and is the society’s concern and compassion misplaced? Surely, there are more important issues that should be supported with this same kind of universal effort. One week from now this will all be over, but nothing will have changed in the country. 13 more people will be killed in a single road crash, 13 more girls will be burned to death in a dorm fire and no one will really care unless the media stirs it up with all their “for profit” hype! Perhaps the efforts of the media are all misplaced. Hopefully, they will realize that significant change in the country can actually start with them. They should now understand that they can rally the citizenry for any just cause.

Having said all that, I am praying for the lives of these kids and their coach and am hopeful that they will all be reunited with their families soon.
Can't believe this post. Isn't this the guy that was always quoting the bible and its teachings to all and everything that happens in life? Here's me believing for over 70 years that Christianity was founded on a love thy neighbour approach . Seems I was wrong unless the old devil has got him eventually . :-k
Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » July 1, 2018, 2:29 pm

[quote=semperfiguy post_id=516251 time=1530418900 user_id=20643]

[/quote]

I am compelled to respond to this post. I have been married to the same wonderful Thai lady for over 45 years. My heart would be crushed if my wife’s family and/or the people that live in our village felt this way about me. I have seen plenty of true sacrificial unselfish compassion among the Thai people in my life. We need to stop and take notice on whose shoulders that we are standing on at times. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Kids and the coach and the rescuers that are risking their lives also.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

jimjay
udonmap.com

Post by jimjay » July 1, 2018, 2:30 pm

mak wrote:
June 30, 2018, 2:47 pm
On the way.
This pump did an amazing job. Seeing the video of it in action real satisfying with regard to speeding this up.

One pump, might not be the beast, in action.

Better than this joke of a pump:

ANOTHER GRAPHIC:

ANOTHER VISUAL REFERENCE:

Video from one of the top side shafts (not the front entrance). At one point it shows him rappelling down the 60 meter drop.

https://www.facebook.com/10000954621184 ... 448318576/
Last edited by jimjay on July 1, 2018, 3:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » July 1, 2018, 2:36 pm

Vern took the path less traveled.
Attachments
Cave Shoe.jpg

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » July 1, 2018, 3:35 pm

Old Grumpy wrote:
July 1, 2018, 2:00 pm
semperfiguy wrote:
July 1, 2018, 11:21 am

Can't believe this post. Isn't this the guy that was always quoting the bible and its teachings to all and everything that happens in life? Here's me believing for over 70 years that Christianity was founded on a love thy neighbour approach . Seems I was wrong unless the old devil has got him eventually . :-k

Is this really all that you take away from this long post? Sounds to me like little nippets are being taken out of context and you guys are missing the point. If you have a Thai wife and live in a village with relatives and friends, then that is your circle of influence and those people probably care about you. Go back and reread my OP because that's what I said the first time around. This is not a Christian nation, so don't expect for anybody else to care. They won't...so get over it! Heck, one of our own just got killed in a car accident while trying to evade the police, and most everyone on every expat forum in Thailand is taking pot shots at him and throwing him under the bus. How many Thais do you think are lined up to go to his funeral?

Here's the point......there are many much more important issues that affect this country that cost the society tens of thousands of lives each year. If the country stood up for these causes with the same enthusiasm and commitment that they have demonstrated with their overwhelming support of the kids in that cave, then maybe, just maybe this country could turn the corner and save thousands of lives each year. I have lived in Thailand for 8 years and I have never seen the public rise up to support any just cause like they have this one. Hopefully, in the future the media will realize that they have the power to rally the citizenry and be an agent of change for the more important issues in this country. Certainly I care about the kids and the coach, and the media has done a spectacular job of putting the spotlight on this human tragedy, but once this is over I hope that they and the public turn their attention to other more significant issues that bring death and misery to a multitude of Thais on a continuing daily basis...AND FOCUS ON THOSE HUMAN TRAGEDIES WITH THE SAME STEADFASTNESS THAT THEY HAVE DEMONSTRATED WITH THIS STORY!
Last edited by semperfiguy on July 2, 2018, 7:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » July 1, 2018, 3:41 pm

it will be big news till it's over, then on to the next thing as quickly as a US mass school shooting is forgotten.

jimjay
udonmap.com

Post by jimjay » July 1, 2018, 3:53 pm

My wife showed me some of the social media streams on this guy, the citizenry are really mad at him.

Pol Gen Srivara Rangsibrahmanagul, the national deputy chief, has come under attacks in the social media for what is seen as an act of intimidation toward officials working to save the lives of the 12 young footballers and their coach trapped in Tham Luang Cave.

A video clip showing Pol Gen Srivara questioning two officials whether they had a permission to fly a drone and drill a hole in the cave went viral on the last few days. It was his use of language and stern manner that irked social media users who expressed sympathy with the officials on the rescue mission.

An official was trying to use a drone to survey the mountain to look for shafts through which search and rescue officials could get down into the cave when Pol Gen Srivara intervened to question whether he had received proper permission to do so.

And with an official of the Mineral Resources Department who was involved in drilling a hole through cave wall to help drain more water out of the cave, the deputy police chief questioned whether he had the permission to do the job or not, pointing out that the cave was under the jurisdiction of the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation.

The manner with which Pol Gen Srivara’s confronted the two officials have provoked an uproar in the social media by netizens who said the questions were asked at the wrong place and at the wrong time and demoralizing as the priority concern should be on the safe return of the missing 13 with whatever necessary means and not ridiculous issue as legality of the means employed.

The deputy police chief yesterday clarified that he merely wanted everything to be done legally, claiming that there was issue about budgetary disbursement and any rescue or support activity which was not legal could not claim a refund.

Pol Gen Srivara, who is known for his brusque style of talking, also maintained that he did not intimidate any of them but merely talked with them as if they were his subordinates.

He also offered an apology to the public if they were not happy with his act.
"Act" is right. What's he hiding by way of intimidation?
Last edited by jimjay on July 1, 2018, 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » July 1, 2018, 3:58 pm

From today at 1100 hrs:
A helicopter is preparing to bring drilling equipment up to a spot above the so-called Pattaya Beach.

jimjay
udonmap.com

Post by jimjay » July 1, 2018, 5:05 pm

mak wrote:
July 1, 2018, 3:58 pm
From today at 1100 hrs:
A helicopter is preparing to bring drilling equipment up to a spot above the so-called Pattaya Beach.
Perfect, this is just the scenario I drew for the wife in cafe. Hope they get as much up there as they need as I see they have multiple helicopters. Guess they'd need gas powered generators to power the equipment? Glad they're on it. The frontal operations were taking a lot of the focus / resources. Time to wing some of that stuff up top & clear that entrance road a bit.

Here's two Thai sources but nowhere's near as up to date as your info:

https://www.facebook.com/ThaiSEAL/

https://www.facebook.com/SkyOnline2013/

jimjay
udonmap.com

Post by jimjay » July 1, 2018, 9:06 pm

An odd report:

Footballers not yet found, says governor in dispelling rumours
national July 01, 2018 19:47
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30349058
Chiang Rai Governor Narongsak Osottanakorn on Sunday denied rumours that the rescue team have found the missing 12 members and their assistant coach of Mu Pa Academy FC believed to be trapped inside Tham Luang cave in Chiang Rai’s Mae Sai district since June 23.

Rumours have it that the governor wished to keep the news confidential and will reveal it when evacuations of team members to hospitals begin.

He said that he will certainly hold a press conference right away if the missing group is found.

The rumours spread as SEAL teams are closing in on a location that is connected to Pattaya Beach where the missing team members are believed to have taken shelter.
Perhaps wise though, any news of them being found would lead to a veritable stampede.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » July 2, 2018, 7:11 am

The Beast did a good job yesterday.
Attachments
Beast.jpg

jimjay
udonmap.com

Post by jimjay » July 2, 2018, 7:36 am

mak wrote:
July 2, 2018, 7:11 am
The Beast did a good job yesterday.
Is this one you sent up?

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » July 2, 2018, 11:57 am

Thai Seal divers doing most of the hard work. Good on them. Keep up the good work.
Attachments
Thai Seal.jpg

Return to “Thailand News”