India, Thailand Risk Landing on Currency Manipulator Watchlist

Thailand news, views and comments

mally
udonmap.com

Re: India, Thailand Risk Landing on Currency Manipulator Watchlist

Post by mally » January 4, 2018, 9:10 pm

Well if the Baht goes up any more then a lot of UK tourists will look elsewhere, given that the £ sterling has taken such a pre-brexit knock.
I've been coming here 3 times a year for the last 10 years and this time the prices have hurt.
Though I'm a working class man, I don't class myself as an Economy Tourist, I fly biz, stay for a month, pre book and pay decent hotels, and allow myself £1k sterling spending money per week, but this last trip has made me think. We went to Pattaya for the NY fireworks, in Agogo's it was 180 tb for a small Heineken, that's £4.14 (43.50 tb/£ was average exchange rate) .... lots of bars were 140 tb (£3.22), and side street beer bars 120 tb (£2.76) ... my local in UK is £3.00. A cup of tea £2.07, small plate of fries £2.65, all more expensive than UK.
Now I'm in Bangkok and the prices are the same if not dearer... eg, Hooters bar 140 + 10% service + 7% tax = 165tb (£3.80) for the small Heineken. Granted, Khon Kaen was cheaper, but too cold at this time of year for holidaying !
It seems that as Western tourists decline in favour of the Chinese, the places have hiked prices up to survive.
Yes there is some cheap Thai food to be had, but most tourists don't come to eat Pad Thai from a food cart vendor.
There will (for a long time) be the back packers and lager lout/ sex tourists, and I suppose the well healed will not hurt with the prices, but the middle of the road people like myself will look elsewhere. I was in Cuba last May and the comparison was amazing, cheaper by a lot, and the people more friendly than modern day Thais in the Tourist spots are now, and no scams that I encountered.
My own plans to retire here have been put on hold, I'm not sure I could live here now to the standard that I want.
I really feel for those on fixed retirement incomes, especially the UK lads who get no yearly increases, not sure just how you lads survive, but in my retirement I don't want to survive, I want to live a decent life style, and that doesn't look possible here now.

Raoul Duke
udonmap.com

Post by Raoul Duke » January 5, 2018, 9:11 am

This post echoes the sentiment of a lot of Farang.
You raise some very good points and comparisons.Depending on what your tastes are aligned to there are other options in Asia to retire and live a comfortable middle of the road life.
You sound like a seasoned veteran of the scene and I for one appreciate your updated Intel on the prices of items of interest.
I love Thailand and am very happy here,however the cost of living is not the appealing one it was once was.There are other options,and yes no one is chaining those of us that are a little disgruntled.I have and will look elsewhere if my home currency (AUD$) cops another flogging as it does not make much sense paying what I/we do get.Good guys in/Bad guys out perhaps? 555 Just the way Mr Cha-Cha Cha and associates want. Mai Bpen Rai.
Good luck.Cuba sounds like a place I could get involved.Thanks for the tip.
Voiceover for hire.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » January 5, 2018, 3:44 pm

Cuba is brilliant, was there for work related holiday , stayed in the Old City

Mally lucky you didnt go to Phuket then. Was there 3 weeks ago , catching up with a Yachtie who had arrived

Grab Taxis are still run by the mafia ! , no private operators as such . 200 baht for 500 metres

860 baht to go 7.5 kms

10 % service charge on basically anywhere you sit down to eat, Air con normally provided.

Pad Krapow at a basic restaurant 180 ++ and no rice or egg LOL and 190 ++ for a large Heineken

Its 90% tourists they pay

Long term guests of Thailand who get there yearly visa or visit regularly will get screwed on FX Rates

Return to “Thailand News”