Mobile roadblocks against traffic violators scrapped nationw

Thailand news, views and comments
faranginUTH
udonmap.com

Post by faranginUTH » October 10, 2015, 8:36 pm

After having received numerous complaints from members of the public, the National Police Office has decided to stop the practice of police setting up of mobile roadblocks to catch traffic violators.

Police spokesman Pol Lt-Gen Prawut Thavornsiri said Thursday that the police order took immediate effect as of Thursday and would be applied throughout the country.

From now on, he said that if a roadblock is to be set up, it has to be manned by a police inspector and there must be a clearly visible sign to show the existence of the roadblock. Also, their superiors must be informed about the whereabouts of the roadblocks and what kind of roadblocks they are.

Pol Lt-Gen Prawut told members of the public who happen to come across a mobile roadblock to take pictures or to VDO record it and have it sent to the police spokesman’s office or to dial 1197 to lodge a complaint.

He warned that any police officers found to have set up roadblocks without authorization would face punishment.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/mobile ... nationwide

kubotatim
udonmap.com

Post by kubotatim » October 11, 2015, 6:59 am

More hot air, never happen, too much cash at stake?

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » October 11, 2015, 7:21 am

we all know where the regular police "stop" points are located and usually what time of day they appear.. So, watch and see if they are still there and if they have a sign announcing its presence.. Frankly, I've no real problem with the ones I see down near the Big C overpass on the Ring Road as they seem to be targeting the idiots that run red lights..
Dave

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » October 11, 2015, 11:59 am

It will be interesting to see if and where i come across any BIB roadblocks when doing my regular Ud - Bkk trips , to date i recall there being at least 6-8 stop and check points .. that was last week ...as kubo states could be hot air or maybe just maybe :shock: [-o< next weeks trip will be a smoother ride .... apart from the huge amount of road works still ongoing that is .

As for the local ring road check points cant see them ever being stopped .

Thailand must be the worlds number one on red light jumpers unless being colour blind is very common here.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » October 11, 2015, 4:23 pm

[quote="FrazeeDK"]we all know where the regular police "stop" points are located and usually what time of day they appear.. So, watch and see if they are still there and if they have a sign announcing its presence.. Frankly, I've no real problem with the ones I see down near the Big C overpass on the Ring Road as they seem to be targeting the idiots that run red lights..[/quote]

I agree. I would just like to have a Count down on the red light at the intersection of Ring Road and Soi Nong Bua. That would prepare you for the three second yellow light that is so easy to run because it will most likely turn to red before you get thru.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » October 11, 2015, 6:32 pm

from my observation the BiB hides under the bridge and radios over those that really do run the red light, 2-3 seconds or more after it turns red.. Those are the blithering idiots that will kill someone.. Got to say though since I first came to Thailand in 97, Thais' habit will sitting at a red light have changed.. It used to be raceway city and when the light clicked green there would be a mass roar and off everyone went.. Nowadays, it seems folks know dang well that some moron is going to chase down the red light so they will sit, crane their necks and look for that last red light jumper before moving on the green.. Thus slowing up the whole flow of traffic...
Dave

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » October 12, 2015, 8:17 pm

Road blocks a slight issue for me the past 2 months, as have missing front number plate, so just KNOW i will be pulled over. I pass the semi-permanent one next to the railway tracks on the north side of the ring road several times a week. But, to their credit, apart from the first time when i had to pay 200 baht (and then got the official loss report and order for new number plate receipt) I have never been asked to pay once they see those docs (out of about 12 stops). So no attempt to shake down the farang, just a 3 minute delay about twice a week. How long it will take to get that number plate, only Thailand knows .... TIT.

pomps
udonmap.com

Post by pomps » October 12, 2015, 8:27 pm

Thought there was another thread about missing numberplate and best option in meantime is put the rear numberplate to the front to avoid being stopped 8)

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » October 13, 2015, 8:12 am

pomps wrote:Thought there was another thread about missing numberplate and best option in meantime is put the rear numberplate to the front to avoid being stopped 8)
...or get more stops. Police with radio and looking for red light runners would notice missing rear plate and ask to stop that vehicle. :confused:

udonmap.com

Post by 12345 » October 13, 2015, 8:28 am

kubotatim wrote:More hot air, never happen, too much cash at stake?
Instituted the day we left, but no traffic violation stops in the usual spots, just truck safety/inspection stops, in practical places. No bottle necking, or need for sudden braking on inter province roads. Hwy #2 / 9 / 35 / 4 / 37 / 4 were all clear of the usual stops in the usual places. Very nice. I drive the limit, or close to it, but in the right lane quite often, and can't remember the last time I was stopped, let alone pay a 'toll'. Just say 'NO', if not speeding. Though that will warrant a further inspection of things, so make sure you are legal. Tags / insurance / stickers / and ..........

.........blue book showing taxes paid. When they ask for that, you know you pissed them off............. :lol:

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » October 15, 2015, 12:06 am

Just back from a quick BKK trip and same as 12345 , none of the usual stop places were operating and only encountered one check point on Highway 2 just outside Korat , usual checks for driving license , truck road tax and conversion docs also license /tax papers for carrying booze ...all smiles , i did notice they were pulling over all tour buses and checking the drivers docs as well as anyone carrying people in the back of pick up trucks ...apparently it is now illegal to do so (thought it always has been ) and appears to be being enforced rigorously TODAY .

Heads up .... Diabolical road works the whole way from UD TO BKK worst areas around Pak Chong , Saraburi and Muak Lek anyone traveling allow a couple of hours extra to the trip.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » October 15, 2015, 8:36 pm

No stop at the railway tracks this week. Yes, i was the one who started the number plate thread. Just thought how long can making a number plate take? So didn't move the plate. Sorry, This Is Thailand ....

Return to “Thailand News”