British Colonialism and Its Policies

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Re: British Colonialism and Its Policies

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 2, 2023, 11:11 pm

Yeah .. wot he said

Purely as a pre colonisic reminder ..dont forget 7 11 new hot dog sausages jerman brand .. best zapped in a microwave chucked in a soft bun with mustard.

Dm

Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 3, 2023, 12:08 am

Whistler wrote:
May 2, 2023, 10:45 pm
noosard wrote:
May 2, 2023, 5:41 pm
Whistler wrote:
May 2, 2023, 3:12 pm
LYM,

Japan deployed huge forces against the British in HK. Singapore was a fiasco, the defences were all waiting for a Japanese attack by sea, they were taken by surprise when they came through Thailand and down the peninsula attacking across the causeway, the imperial forces were shambolic and quickly overrun. There were 365,000 British troops facing the Japanese. The Japs had a force of five and a half million.
I dont believe the japanese forces went thru thailand on their way to Singapore
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_ ... f_Thailand

the Malayan campaign began when the 25th Army, under the command of Lieutenant General Tomoyuki Yamashita, invaded Malaya on 8 December 1941. Japanese troops launched an amphibious assault on the northern coast of Malaya at Kota Bharu and started advancing down the eastern coast of Malaya.[21] The Japanese 5th Division also landed at Pattani and Songkhla in Thailand, then moved south into western Malaya.[21] French Indo-China was still under French administration, and had little option but to co-operate with the Japanese. The French authorities therefore submitted to the Japanese military using the territory's ports as naval bases, building air bases, and massing forces there for the invasion. Japan also coerced Thailand into co-operating with the invasion, though Thai troops resisted the landings in Thai territory for eight hours.[citation needed]
So noos is 'factually correct' and it's safe to assume that the Japanese 'invasion' of Sri Racha, on the east coast just south of Chonburi, isn't remotely related to their wartime predations.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 3, 2023, 12:14 am

deankham wrote:
May 2, 2023, 8:38 pm
Thought I'd share my thoughts on this subject.

British colonialism refers to the period of time when the British Empire established and maintained its colonies throughout the world, including Africa, Asia, North America, and Australia. British colonialism began in the 16th century and lasted until the mid-20th century.

During this time, the British Empire implemented a variety of policies that had significant impacts on the colonies and the world at large. Some of the key policies of British colonialism included:

1. Economic Exploitation: The British Empire exploited the natural resources of their colonies for their own economic gain. They extracted raw materials such as cotton, rubber, and tea from their colonies, and then processed them in Britain to sell for a profit. This exploitation often left the colonies with little to no economic benefits.

2. Land Ownership: The British Empire implemented a policy of land ownership that often resulted in the displacement of indigenous people. They claimed large areas of land in the colonies and sold or leased it to European settlers, leading to a loss of traditional land and resources for indigenous peoples.

3. Cultural Suppression: The British Empire often attempted to suppress the cultures of the people they colonized. They forced the adoption of English language and culture and discouraged the practice of traditional customs and beliefs.

4. Education: The British Empire implemented a system of education in their colonies that was designed to produce loyal and educated colonial subjects. This often meant that education focused on British culture and values, and did not prioritize local knowledge or cultural traditions.

5. Political Control: The British Empire exerted significant political control over their colonies through the implementation of indirect rule, which allowed local leaders to govern under the oversight of British officials. This policy often resulted in corruption and the manipulation of local power structures to maintain British control.

The impacts of British colonialism continue to be felt today, including economic inequality, social fragmentation, and political instability in many of the former colonies. However, it is also important to note that British colonialism had both positive and negative impacts on the colonies, and its legacy remains a complex and contested topic.

Of course I didn't write all that stuff, Chat OpenAI did it for me :)

It does sound very negative though only focusing on the bad. What about the fact we introduced Cricket in the sub continent for example and taught them how to make Gin and Tonics.
For a fleeting moment there I thought the thread had managed to get out of the deepening rut of WWII wiki-wars and open up a deep and meaningful critique of the other ~295 years of the British Empire.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 3, 2023, 12:17 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
May 2, 2023, 11:11 pm
Yeah .. wot he said

Purely as a pre colonisic reminder ..dont forget 7 11 new hot dog sausages jerman brand .. best zapped in a microwave chucked in a soft bun with mustard.

Dm
If only they had microwave ovens on the Somme and Passchendaele, eh? Especially with the German's bringing their own mustard?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » May 3, 2023, 7:44 am

6df264d0295062349d26f392b32c13d0.jpg

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 3, 2023, 8:03 am

deankham wrote:
Thought I'd share my thoughts on this subject. ...

Of course I didn't write all that stuff, Chat OpenAI did it for me
Out of interest, what was your precise question to AI?

Interested to see if it has bias depending on the question being asked. Like, "What benefits came from the BE?" versus "Who suffered under the BE?" Or "What were the pros and cons of the BE?"
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 3, 2023, 7:16 pm

This is a timely article from Canada's Progressive Conservative newspaper:

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/coloni ... ccept-that
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 3, 2023, 7:57 pm

Thanks Uncle - interesting article, with which I pretty much agree. 👍

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » May 3, 2023, 8:41 pm

tamada wrote:
May 3, 2023, 8:03 am
deankham wrote:
Thought I'd share my thoughts on this subject. ...

Of course I didn't write all that stuff, Chat OpenAI did it for me
Out of interest, what was your precise question to AI?

Interested to see if it has bias depending on the question being asked. Like, "What benefits came from the BE?" versus "Who suffered under the BE?" Or "What were the pros and cons of the BE?"
I just used the title of the thread;
British Colonialism and Its Policies

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 3, 2023, 8:48 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
May 3, 2023, 7:16 pm
This is a timely article from Canada's Progressive Conservative newspaper:

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/coloni ... ccept-that
Good reading, thanks LYM.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » May 4, 2023, 9:12 am

As indicated by many posts, the British Empire was not all bad and generally more benifical than the opposite . Now situations have changed, people concentratig only on the negatives failing to accept any positives.

Having a head of a country a-political and providing continunity looks a far better option that many countries are currently experiencing , it may cost but not as much as the furore surrounding bad heads of state ( past and present ) worldwide.

Hadly surprising that English in its many forms and spelling is the lingua franca of Travel ( including sea and space exploration ), Scientific research, Computing to name but a few .

Suffice to say what was done has been looked at and analysed to extinction, we cannot REWRITE histoy but only remember it and learn from it while looking at the future .

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”