British Colonialism and Its Policies

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
Whistler
udonmap.com

Re: British Colonialism and Its Policies

Post by Whistler » May 1, 2023, 12:15 am

Doodoo wrote:
April 30, 2023, 11:24 pm
They are on the list of ships involved
Your thinking is that if someone was a Cook he wasn't a part of it.
Or like someone that sat on the bench of a game he wasn't on the players list
That is exactly what I am saying. A kiwi cook at an after party celebration was not on the player's list. A Canadian ship in the Atlantic did not fire a salvo half way across the world at a jap destroyer either.

Kiwis and Canadians were fantastic forces in the war, but they were bit players in defeating the Japanese.

I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 1, 2023, 4:36 am

"but they were bit players in defeating the Japanese."

Thats better now you are saying they were participants, presto
If WW2 were a movie you would have the credits reflect the people who were in the movie right from the, Director to the Junior Grips.
Done, now onto other subjects
Later

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 1, 2023, 7:21 am

Doodoo is correct concerning the important role of Canadians in Asia during the Second World War. Whether on the land, air and sea, Canadians did their part. ad, it was not a minimal role as some might suggest.

https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembra ... he-pacific
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 1, 2023, 7:31 am

Whistler wrote:
April 30, 2023, 10:16 pm
Doodoo wrote:
April 30, 2023, 9:27 pm
"the Japanese empire was handed it's ass by the new "empire" on the block, team USA."

Not just the Americans. The Brits played a major part in the defeat of the Japanese along with the Canadians and the New Zealanders.
Perhaps you can review your knowledge of the history of WWII.

The first defeat of the Japanese army in the war was in New Guinea. There were no Canadians or Kiwis in that theatre of war.

The major defeat on the sea was the battle of the Coral Sea off the coast of Queensland. This was the Australian navy in support of the US navy where the Japanese were flattened and clobered half their carrier fleet.

More importantly 2.5 million Indians fought against the axis powers, they were the fourth biggest contrubutor to the allied forces

Canada Nope. NZ nope.

Both nations punched above their weight, but the Japs were stopped by the Australian Army and the US Navy after sweeping all before them up until mid 1942.
And, what happened after 1942? You might note the contribution of the British Imperial forces, including Canada, in resisting and defeating the Japanese. You can look it up.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 1, 2023, 10:50 am

I did look it up before I posted. Doodoo posted that Japan was defeated by America, Canada and NZ.

It was estimated that Canada had around 10,000 troops in the Pacific theatre, most of these protecting the North American West Coast. Only one ship the Uganda saw active duty. Canada was a minor force only against the Japanese

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_in_World_War_II

The heavy lifting in the Pacific was done by America, Britain, India, China and Australia. NZ Forces were mainly deployed in Africa and Europe. Outstanding soldiers and airmen from a tiny voluntary.

Doodoo's statement about the contribution by country in defeating the Japanese is wrong
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » May 1, 2023, 11:03 am

Whistler wrote:
May 1, 2023, 10:50 am
The heavy lifting in the Pacific was done by America, Britain, India, China and Australia.
Speaking of which, a visit to the Kanchanaburi War Cemetery, reading the stones, is a sobering experience. Definitely worth the time to visit.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 1, 2023, 11:13 am

Whistler wrote:
May 1, 2023, 10:50 am
I did look it up before I posted. Doodoo posted that Japan was defeated by America, Canada and NZ.

It was estimated that Canada had around 10,000 troops in the Pacific theatre, most of these protecting the North American West Coast. Only one ship the Uganda saw active duty. Canada was a minor force only against the Japanese

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_in_World_War_II

The heavy lifting in the Pacific was done by America, Britain, India, China and Australia. NZ Forces were mainly deployed in Africa and Europe. Outstanding soldiers and airmen from a tiny country, which had less than 2M people at the time.

Doodoo's statement about the contribution by country in defeating the Japanese is wrong

joudon
udonmap.com

Post by joudon » May 1, 2023, 11:16 am

I have visited the war graves at Kanchanaburi on two occasions
What hit me most were the ages on the headstones
I certainly did did not have a dry eye
What is of concern , is that the lessons do not seem to have been learned.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 1, 2023, 11:26 am

"On September 2, 1945, the formal surrender documents were signed on board the American battleship USS Missouri in Tokyo Harbour. Colonel Lawrence M. Cosgrave signed on behalf of Canada, and the Second World War was officially over."

Colonel Lawrence Vincent Moore Cosgrave, DSO & Bar (August 28, 1890 – July 28, 1971) was a Canadian soldier and diplomat. He was the Canadian signatory to the Japanese Instrument of Surrender at the end of World War II.

Why would he be signing such an important document if Canada wasnt involved?

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 1, 2023, 11:39 am

Another point to remember is that the Canadians in Burma and Hong Kong were usually part of the British Army so when one talks about Britain defeating Japan in Burma, you are talking about the British Imperial Army of which Canada was a part. As Doodoo points out Canada was a signatory to the Japanese surrender.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 1, 2023, 11:56 am

Doodoo wrote:
May 1, 2023, 11:26 am
"On September 2, 1945, the formal surrender documents were signed on board the American battleship USS Missouri in Tokyo Harbour. Colonel Lawrence M. Cosgrave signed on behalf of Canada, and the Second World War was officially over."

Colonel Lawrence Vincent Moore Cosgrave, DSO & Bar (August 28, 1890 – July 28, 1971) was a Canadian soldier and diplomat. He was the Canadian signatory to the Japanese Instrument of Surrender at the end of World War II.

Why would he be signing such an important document if Canada wasnt involved?
Arguing until you are blue in the face,

1700 Canadians were captured in Hong Kong in 1941. Apart from that, only 40 Canadians became POW's for the remaining duration of the war, 4 more years, a fair indication of their presence in that theatre of war.

NZ had 8,000 POW's, but they were captured in Europe and North Africa. They had almost no presence in any battles against the Japanese.

If you claim Canada was a major force that defeated Japan, please tell us what battles they fought? Let me help you out, the answer was none post the capture of HK in 1941. They had a few special forces in Burma, they had none in New Guinea, they had none in Singapore, none in China, none in The Philipinnes, none in Guam, none in Guadalcanal. There were no Canadian divisions or companies deployed during WWII in the Pacific battles.

This is a list of where the Canadians fought in WWII, note the Pacific war is not even mentioned

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 1, 2023, 11:58 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
May 1, 2023, 11:39 am
Another point to remember is that the Canadians in Burma and Hong Kong were usually part of the British Army so when one talks about Britain defeating Japan in Burma, you are talking about the British Imperial Army of which Canada was a part. As Doodoo points out Canada was a signatory to the Japanese surrender.
LYM,

Simple question, was Canada one of only three countries instrumental in defeating the Japanese in WWII as claimed by Doodoo, ditto New Zealand

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 1, 2023, 12:15 pm

One more time.

I think we're broadly agreed that WWII was undisputably a team effort which includes Canadian participation. Happy now, eh?

Back on topic, have the Brits bigged up the benefits of Commonwealth while tip-toeing around the less salubrious parts of Empire? At what point in the history of this 'sceptered isle' did someone quietly suggest that Empire may be a dirty word and offered up Commonwealth as a much nicer handle?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 1, 2023, 12:21 pm

Whistler wrote:
May 1, 2023, 11:58 am
Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
May 1, 2023, 11:39 am
LYM,

Simple question, was Canada one of only three countries instrumental in defeating the Japanese in WWII as claimed by Doodoo, ditto New Zealand
Canada, as I mentioned, had troops that served in the British Imperial Army as did West and East Africans. They helped in the re-capture of Burma from Japan. It should also be noted that many Karens, Kachins, Shans also served with the British Imperial Army. Eventually, the Burmese Independence Army, under Aung San, also co-operated with the British after turning against Japan. Did Canada as an individual country play a leading role in the defeat of Japan? No. Did Canada play an important role in the British Imperial Army that re-captured Burma from Japan? You bet'cha.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 1, 2023, 12:26 pm

If you claim Canada was a major force that defeated Japan,"
Who said that
I said that Canada and New Zealand were part of teh British Forces along with other data to back up that Canada (signing of the surrender) was instrumental in defeating the Japs

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 1, 2023, 1:01 pm

I will leave it at that, Canada signed AFTER Japan surrendered, that acknowledged the surrender, it did not cause it.

You hang on regardless Doodoo, your statement was simply wrong in naming the forces that defeated Japan. End of story, you will never admit you are wrong, up to you.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 1, 2023, 1:29 pm

How could Canada sign before Japan surrendered ????

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 1, 2023, 2:13 pm

Doodoo wrote:
May 1, 2023, 1:29 pm
How could Canada sign before Japan surrendered ????
When did Japanese surrender in August 1945?
Aug. 14, 1945

At 7 p.m. on Aug. 14, 1945, President Harry S. Truman announced the unconditional surrender of Japan to reporters gathered at the White House.

Canada co-signed the final surrender document 19 days after Japan had unconditionally surrendered.

What caused the surrender, the people of Hiroshima and Nagasaki did not rush into the streets screaming 'The Canadians are coming, the Canadians are coming'. Nor did the Japanese keep on fighting awaiting Canada to co-sign a document.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » May 1, 2023, 4:11 pm

Caz someone please tell me what WW11has to do with British Colonialism , apart from absoutely ,nothing dae I say, as most countries involved more so on the ALLies side were fighting in some instances for their right to be free, Tru Canada and Australia and new Zealand plus India came to fight partly because they we part of the British Empire in the first plae but not long after that all those countries and many others realised it was going to be fight or die .

so the argument over wh did what and when is useless and pointless .Bloody pathetic more so when I got a post removed which told a story of how any country can subjugate another and in one instance is still doing do even if it is covertly

But snowflakes did not like the insinuation so removed the entire post. Sad really discussions no longer allowed by xenephobic Administrators and Moderatorsd

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » May 1, 2023, 5:15 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
May 1, 2023, 4:11 pm
But snowflakes did not like the insinuation so removed the entire post. Sad really discussions no longer allowed by xenephobic Administrators and Moderatorsd
As others have pointed out, we have begun removing posts which are uncivil, or which contain insulting, troll-like, personal attacks on other members, and the like. We do not remove posts for voicing opinions on issues, whether we agree with them or not. If you cannot disagree with a post in a civil, respectful manner, perhaps Udon Map is not the forum for you. Remember, attack the substance of the post, not the person who posted it.

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”