How big a part does social media play in your life?

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: How big a part does social media play in your life?

Post by stattointhailand » October 29, 2021, 11:29 am

Fake news on the fake news checking sites ............ I'm pleasantly surprised that didn't shock me :lol: :-k

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » October 29, 2021, 4:08 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
October 29, 2021, 11:29 am
Fake news on the fake news checking sites ............ I'm pleasantly surprised that didn't shock me :lol: :-k

Yes I checked numerous sites about Einstein quotes, none debunked what I said but funnily enough none stated he did NOT say it. So as usual you have to use commonsense to determine the truth or otherwise, personally I think he would have siad it. But then who really knows no-one alive today on here met him, did they ...lol

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » October 29, 2021, 4:12 pm

Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » October 29, 2021, 4:47 pm

Is that your grandson GT?

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 29, 2021, 5:18 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
October 29, 2021, 11:08 am
jackspratt wrote:
October 29, 2021, 8:30 am
Being an intelligent male (as you say), I know he didn't say it - even if it is all over social media.

One of the perils of taking any notice of Facebook I guess.

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/03/19/tech-surpass/
https://fullfact.org/online/albert-eins ... gy-idiots/
https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2 ... -would-cr/

etc etc
Nothing to do wioth FB, but it is attributed to Einstein in the Famous Quotes web site and others too munerouys to mention.
As for knowing he did not say it, did he tell you are are you just NOT able to back up your theories , another troll post by you as usual.
I linked to 3 credible sites (there are more) which provide pretty strong evidence that those are not Einstein's words.

Perhaps you could reciprocate by providing links to sites which provide similar evidence that he did say them. I am especially interested in your "Famous Quotes" site, as google seems unable to find it.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 29, 2021, 5:21 pm

AlexO wrote:
October 28, 2021, 8:31 pm
The Southern Hemisphere grammar gestapo raise their heads again. Who really cares if a comma or similar is used or not used. As for Einstein never saying that, please tell us exactly how you know he never uttered these words. Are you so clever you know all of his quotes or discussions throughout his life? You are better at at your left wing anti semantic racism so stick to that and you will be okay.
Hi Alex. :wave:

Ain't social media grand.

Feel free to visit the 3 websites I linked to before your (delayed) post appeared. 👍

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » October 29, 2021, 6:04 pm

Everyone is talking about Albert Einstein as if he was a real person. I'm pretty sure he was a theoretical physicist.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 29, 2021, 7:05 pm

My parents didn't understand the Woodstock generation and my Polish grandmother thought the Beatles on Ed Sullivan was blasphemy. Yet I don't recall any of them asking why we'd want to listen to the latest Beatles or Who or Hendrix release on 45rpm over and over and over and over and over again. Had they had FB or twitter back in those days, I'm certain they'd have said the same sort of things as KP about our generation.
Raising our daughter, the biggest threat was the portable phone......that gave her the freedom to make phone calls from the privacy of her bedroom.....sometimes in the middle of the night. I can't imagine raising a child in today's world of mobile phones and social media.......but I'm confident they won't all grow up to be idiots.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/28/busi ... lture.html

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » October 29, 2021, 10:00 pm

"but I'm confident they won't all grow up to be idiots. "

Have to agree with you there parrot .............. some will grow up to be far worse than that :-$

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » October 29, 2021, 10:28 pm

Shado wrote:
October 29, 2021, 6:04 pm
Everyone is talking about Albert Einstein as if he was a real person. I'm pretty sure he was a theoretical physicist.
I saw what you did there.

Where's Uncle T? Him and me were FB bandidos back in the day.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » October 30, 2021, 6:34 am

ASs we are ALL AWARE, discussions about what is or is npot real or factual or even truithful, will resonate throughout any discussions especially if relying on the Internet to provide answers, truthfully I care not if he said it or not, the fact that peoples knickers are getting in a twist because someone found he did not say it as opposed to myself who found a site that said he did.
I am sure that we will all find counter arguments to almost all facts posed by any poster on here as most of the posts depend on personal viewpoints and other personal characteristics.
Three facts are indisputable we are BORN, we LIVE and we DIE, only the middle one is open ended as length of time between the first and last is uncertain.
Anything else is open for discussion and argument .

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » October 30, 2021, 3:07 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
October 30, 2021, 6:34 am
ASs we are ALL AWARE, discussions about what is or is npot real or factual or even truithful, will resonate throughout any discussions especially if relying on the Internet to provide answers, truthfully I care not if he said it or not, the fact that peoples knickers are getting in a twist because someone found he did not say it as opposed to myself who found a site that said he did. Three facts are indisputable we are BORN, we LIVE and we DIE, only the middle one is open ended as length of time between the first and last is uncertain.
True KP, it doesn't really matter if it was said or not by Einstein, as Others have issued similar warnings, in similar wording, to that of, "I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots".

What has also been said and or written, some 25 years ago, was,

1.I have a foreboding of an America in my children’s or grandchildren’s time — when the United States is a service and information economy, when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries

2.When awesome technological powers are in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues

3.When the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority

4.When, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

5.The dumbing down of America is most evident in the slow decay of substantive content in the enormously influential media, the 30-second sound bites (now down to 10 seconds or less), the lowest common denominator programming, credulous presentations on pseudoscience and superstition, but especially a kind of celebration of ignorance”.

Looking at Points 3, 4, 5 and 6, they are not far removed from, your statement "As for people being engaged in conversations, many have lost the Art of Small talk as it used to be called to enable Social interaction to happen", in my view. Then there were a few more, of interest,

6.Our species needs, and deserves, a citizenry with minds wide awake and a basic understanding of how the world works.

7.We live in a society absolutely dependent on science and technology and yet have cleverly arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. That’s a clear prescription for disaster

8.Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception

9.Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Food for thought :-k :-k

And in answer to the initial question raised, "How significant.......", yes, do have a FB account set up back in 2006, which I stopped using some 12 years ago.
*If I could work out how to delete it, then I would
*Do I access it, maybe twice a year, and only if I get copied in on a friends post.
*Do I need it in my life, certainly F....kn not
*Do I have shares in FB, certainly never F...kn will

Re. Twitter: Never have and never will.

Re. Instagram: I have lost my "Looks", so I don't need it. \:D/ \:D/

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » October 30, 2021, 4:14 pm

You didn't add your "only fans" info for everyone to check out :-"

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » October 30, 2021, 4:42 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
October 30, 2021, 4:14 pm
You didn't add your "only fans" info for everyone to check out :-"
I don't use "Only Fans", in fact, I didn't even know what it was, until you raised it.

I just read Books \:D/ probably something that the next generation won't do. :-k

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 5, 2022, 4:07 am

To me, this seems to be getting a disproportionate amount of bandwidth at the moment. The Twitterati in the Twittersphere are seriously Twittering about Twitter.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/katharines ... elections/
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 5, 2022, 7:06 am

Oh dear Twitter users ar complaining as for myself never used nor will I, Musk buying Twitter is good news as many have departed from it and it seems the orange Blob will not be allowed back on. Anything tha happens will be good news for the THINKING majority , those that entirely rely on the INTERNET in all its failings for their uptodate information and news will now have to utilise their BRAINS.
A heartening reversal of actions by Human beings , hopefully using experience coupled with intelligence and common-sense and gut feeling to determine what one believes. Although I fear Common-sense will the slowest to recover !!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 5, 2022, 7:33 am

Musk hasn't said anything about who may or may not be allowed back onboard the Twitterbus.

Depending on the political bent of any particular media stream, Musk's ownership will either keep DJT in the social media wilderness or it could allow him and other crazies free reign again. There's absolutely no clarity on that matter.

It was funny to see the BBC interviewing some nerdy twerp from LBC who was all in a froth about Twitter employees being "fired by email". These are the work-from-home digital pikeys that probably don't even have a formal work contract with signed and agreed terms and conditions of employment. They were probably hired by email or Tweet and now they want a letter from HR and go to court? Whatever next... join the union?

So the clowns have got themselves a new Ringmaster. Now jump through the new hoops. They should have learned by now that Musk is the arch-disruptor so there could never be any guarantees on anything.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 5, 2022, 7:40 am

It doesn’t matter where they work from, or what their position is, or whether they have a work contract, each state has different laws when it comes to layoffs. California has a law that an employee must be given a 60 day notice when a company has over 100 employees.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 5, 2022, 8:21 am

Anyone who is elated or upset over Musk taking over Twitter needs to get a life. There are definitely more important issues in life.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 5, 2022, 8:31 am

Kenr6583 wrote:
November 5, 2022, 8:21 am
Anyone who is elated or upset over Musk taking over Twitter needs to get a life. There are definitely more important issues in life.
Not according to a slew of mainstream media at the moment. Twitter and Musk is front and center right now having usurped Ukraine, the German Chancellor's quick in-out with Pooh Bear and the attempted assassination of a former cricket player.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”