How big a part does social media play in your life?

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
tamada
udonmap.com

How big a part does social media play in your life?

Post by tamada » October 28, 2021, 3:10 pm

On the one hand we have certain right-wing elements braying about how social media or 'big tech' is denying them their voice and calling MSM out for only serving up a Communist narrative. First there was fake news and now there's Fakebook?

A majority of Republicans say they plan to use former president Donald Trump’s new social media platform Truth Social, a new poll from the Morning Consult found.

Mr Trump, who was kicked off most social media networks in the wake of the 6 January attack on the US Capitol, announced the platform last week as an alternative to Facebook, Twitter, TikTok and YouTube, which he said was about his plan to “stand up to the tyranny of Big Tech.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 46525.html

Then we have MSM digging deeper and deeper into arguably the richest and most influential of the social media giants with evidence of stirring political pots.

WARSAW — Most political parties in Poland have complaints about Facebook’s algorithms, the obscure formulas that decide which posts pop up on a user’s news feed and which fade into the ether.

The far-right Confederation party does not.

It’s a “hate algorithm,” said Tomasz Grabarczyk, who heads the party’s social media team. But the Confederation’s content generally does well, including a slew of anti-lockdown, anti-immigration, vaccine-skeptic posts often punctuated with large red exclamation marks. “I think we are good with emotional messages,” he said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/20 ... algorithm/

This isn't (another) thread about the former POTUS but it looks like FB is losing 'friends' on both sides, no?

How significant a part does Facebook, Twitter and their kin play in the average UM member's day-to-day life? Personally, I dropped FB maybe 10 years ago after it became increasingly irrelevant with a proliferation of comments and feeds from people I didn't know overwhelming my rather parochial stream only from friends I know personally. I suspected another shift in their privacy rules that I couldn't be bothered to sift through and uncheck the ever-changing default check boxes. I recall that (maybe) the EU fined them several years ago for changing security settings without adequate notifications?

Just wondering if anyone here using FB dives deep into the settings to keep it 'just friends' or accept the defaults and have to scroll through loads of 'stuff' to seek out what they want. Or have they thrown the towel in and joined UFES instead?

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Re: How big a part does social media play in your life?

Post by Drunk Monkey » October 28, 2021, 4:47 pm

Connected topic ... its hard to say exactly who nowadays DOES NOT either have a mobile device and or use social media in some way ..from.the very young to rural village folk and even bin dippers it seems everyone has the where with all to do SM stuff in some way.

Dm can still recall a time pre internet when mobiles were the size of a shoe box and they were used for only speaking on ..

What ever my view remams the same .. SM is a conversation killer .being adictive brain draining and it to blame for recent generations staring into space n dribbling when they shiuld be talking and engaging in the conventional way .
All that said .it certainly is a plus for business .. ..i use my phone for most bizz stuff nowadays but avoid .FB Twitter etc like the plague.

Just my 10 bts worth

DM.. (UFES gold member)
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » October 28, 2021, 5:22 pm

Agree with DM 100 %. Today the texhnological advances in electronic disemination of information has done such a good job that the average person today or those up to about Mid 40's has lost the ability to even think for themselves, instead relying on information mainly unproven to guide their thoughts and actions .
In short we have lost the ability to make coherent rationales instead relying on anyone who has the time to post absolute in many cases C**P.
Common-sense has all but disappeared together with logical thought.

True this inoivation of electronic communication has been embraced by the business community and Law Enforcement to aid them in n ot only doing business but also targeting and highlighting Criminal activities, but the average in my book Policeman has lost the ability to talk meaningfully to Members of the Public

You onloy have to watch some of the Mini videos shown around the world of Policemen being comp0-lete idiots to know that if they actually thought and spoke many of the problems would not even happen.
As for people being engaged in conversations , many have lost the Art of Small talk as it used to be called to enable Social interaction to happen .
A quote from Einstein sums it up marvellously : I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots..

That DAY i AM AFRAID has already come

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » October 28, 2021, 5:53 pm

I don't think it will ever catch on tam ........ I reckon it's one of those here today gone tomorrow gimmicky things

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » October 28, 2021, 6:20 pm

UdonMap = 0.5%, ThaiVisa = 0.2%
The rest = ZERO

No need for comment or justification!
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » October 28, 2021, 6:35 pm

I don't pay much attention to most media. They look for news and broadcast absolute crap from severely twisted people. It's difficult to take a lot of that stuff seriously.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 28, 2021, 7:42 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:
October 28, 2021, 6:20 pm
UdonMap = 0.5%, ThaiVisa = 0.2%
The rest = ZERO

No need for comment or justification!
I don’t think that either of those really count as social media, do they?
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 28, 2021, 7:54 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
October 28, 2021, 5:22 pm
Yep ... your post demonstrates that in spades. Along with the grammar.

And as further evidence below, Einstein never said anything of the sort.
A quote from Einstein sums it up marvellously : I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots..

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » October 28, 2021, 8:31 pm

The Southern Hemisphere grammar gestapo raise their heads again. Who really cares if a comma or similar is used or not used. As for Einstein never saying that, please tell us exactly how you know he never uttered these words. Are you so clever you know all of his quotes or discussions throughout his life? You are better at at your left wing anti semantic racism so stick to that and you will be okay.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » October 28, 2021, 9:04 pm

jackspratt wrote:
October 28, 2021, 7:54 pm
Khun Paul wrote:

So are you interested in Tam's question,or more interested in making a personal attack. Most people abuse social media just like you., its not there for venting or telling people about your personal life or even not agreeing . its about thoughts
So back to what Tam asked. I have one very old account,used to keep in touch with my children. Thats locked up just for family,and another for business. That's the answer to Tam's question. FFS deliberately going off topic looking for self gratification. Sad
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 28, 2021, 9:36 pm

No, I am not particularly interested in tam's question, as I don't do Facebook, or any other mainstream social media.

However, UM is a form of social media, and if you choose to post (as I, and KP have done), there is the possibility what you say will evince a response - as you have chosen to do.

Stones and glass houses.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » October 28, 2021, 11:35 pm

"its not there for venting or telling people about your personal life or even not agreeing . its about thoughts "

Bugger me ........... and there was me thinking it was only useful to show the world what you were about to eat, quick, someone tell Mrs Statts and her whole family theyve got it wrong :oops:

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » October 29, 2021, 12:35 am

tamada wrote:
October 28, 2021, 3:10 pm
Just wondering if anyone here using FB dives deep into the settings to keep it 'just friends' or accept the defaults and have to scroll through loads of 'stuff' to seek out what they want. Or have they thrown the towel in and joined UFES instead?
Good post, Giggles.

I stay away from FB as it doesn't blow my skirt up anymore. I follow quite a few historians and archaeologists on Twatter as well as science, engineering and engineering accounts. I stay away from Lefties and neo-Nazis as they're quite toxic and put me in a funk :( .

I don't post on UFES as I don't get it. Is it an in joke?

Thanks.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » October 29, 2021, 12:55 am

There was a time when the news media had some credibility, not anymore. Now we have all kinds of social media controlling what is said. If they don't like what you are saying you are out and they decide what is true and what is not true. Everyone does and should have an opinion and the freedom to express it even if it hurts someones feelings or they just don't like it.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 29, 2021, 1:30 am

Isn't it more of a case of social media dictating what people can read? They claim to be just a platform for opinions and free speech and not an editor like MSM. Some claim they shot themselves in the foot by shutting down the accounts of a certain person, ie., the ultimate edit. In reality, they've always been the somewhat reluctant editor as they've probably shuttered thousands of less notable but equally disruptive members before the 'big one'. They probably didn't have a lot of 'friends' anyway so were expendable as a comparative low revenue stream?

But the more recent revelations of algorithms being tweaked to steer more members towards controversial and more disruptive opinion and discussion is basically writing a cyber-editorial by stealth. However, they're not doing it to serve the lefty liberals or the self-righteous conservatives. It's just a money maker for them, that's all. As the tabloid press already knows, bad news sells. Even fake news sells.

Big tits too.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Bonanza
udonmap.com

Post by Bonanza » October 29, 2021, 5:37 am

‘Social Media’

Thirty years ago a baker made a tray of tasty rich chocolate cakes and put them on sale. The children loved them, and mums bought as many as they wanted. The children ate so many that they were sick. Dad told the children not to pig the cakes in future, and hoped they had learned a lesson. :D

Now, a baker makes a tray of tasty rich chocolate cakes and puts them on sale. The children love them and mums buy as many as they want. The children eat so many that they are sick. Both mum and dad demand the baker be locked up for making their children sick. :shock:

You work it out

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » October 29, 2021, 7:05 am

jackspratt wrote:
October 28, 2021, 7:54 pm
Khun Paul wrote:

Well JS according to the Internet which is the only tool I can use to verify this, Einstein DID actually say this but of course being the intelligent Male you know that, but just offer a post to contradict known evidence.
Thankyou for your comments which as per usual are in-correct again .

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 29, 2021, 8:30 am

Being an intelligent male (as you say), I know he didn't say it - even if it is all over social media.

One of the perils of taking any notice of Facebook I guess.

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/03/19/tech-surpass/
https://fullfact.org/online/albert-eins ... gy-idiots/
https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2 ... -would-cr/

etc etc

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » October 29, 2021, 8:35 am

jackspratt wrote:
October 29, 2021, 8:30 am
Being an intelligent male (as you say), I know he didn't say it - even if it is all over social media.

etc etc
Game and first set to Mr Sprat ...new balls please !!! :lol:

From the days before internet SM and all it entrails... marvelous ..and the young pretty steals the show with her excitment ..this reminds of the 2020 UFES meeting Christmas that got out ov hand after a few sherries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chdm7xRSlho
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » October 29, 2021, 11:08 am

jackspratt wrote:
October 29, 2021, 8:30 am

etc etc
Nothing to do wioth FB, but it is attributed to Einstein in the Famous Quotes web site and others too munerouys to mention.
As for knowing he did not say it, did he tell you are are you just NOT able to back up your theories , another troll post by you as usual.

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”