Cost of small car tyres

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Cost of small car tyres

Post by tamada » May 13, 2021, 7:51 am

Breaking news!... flat tire spotted on second visual check!! Inexplicable and sudden partial flatness confounds the experts! More at ten.

After sitting unused for a couple of days, the sports lorry was getting prepped for a hardware run with the BiL for the new-build up north. Since ceramics and cement would make for a heavy load, visual tire inspection first: Pass.

Loaded some partially used bags of cement from the yard and some ropes to secure the load and went to finish my coffee. While BiL takes a piss, I get the compressor out to pump-up the backies.

Visual tire inspection #2: epic fail. Rear pax side tire wall VISIBLY deformed (even the dog was looking at it funny). Pondering between the compressor hook up or just changing with the spare, went to remove the valve cap and my hand was hit by spurts of air from a perished valve stem seat.

Don't let this happen to you! Look at your tires hard and often (bend your back also), cop them a feel, don't be shy and wiggle your valve stems too (get the missus to show you how).

Public service announcement ends.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » May 13, 2021, 8:29 am

OR . Just buy a tyre pressure gauge for less than 100 baht , and check them once a week .
Simple is what simple does .
WARNING !!!! doing the tyre checks will involve a little bending and very slight effort .

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 13, 2021, 10:05 am

Kenr6583 wrote:
May 13, 2021, 7:17 am

I've never had a set either. Never interested in getting them for the same reason as you. I was just curious if there was a big price difference for them over there.
Though I don’t know for sure I think that different (heavier) wheels are also needed, so unless you have a real need such as protective service driving or drive where breakdown service isn’t available then run flats are just a useless vanity symbol.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 13, 2021, 1:20 pm

saint wrote:
May 13, 2021, 8:29 am
OR . Just buy a tyre pressure gauge for less than 100 baht , and check them once a week .
WARNING !!!! doing the tyre checks will involve a little bending and very slight effort .
I actually have a couple of tire pressure gauges. Still haven't found a YouTube on how to get them out of the bubble pack though.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » May 13, 2021, 1:31 pm

tamada wrote:
May 13, 2021, 1:20 pm
saint wrote:
May 13, 2021, 8:29 am
I actually have a couple of tire pressure gauges. Still haven't found a YouTube on how to get them out of the bubble pack though.
A man with your technical skills will figure it out .
As for the run flats i would not buy them , but they came with the car , standard equipment .
Downside is as STWW says the ride is a little stiff , but not enough to worry about . Upside , you get a nice bit of extra storage under the boot floor as no spare , jack or nutwrench , which is handy .

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » May 13, 2021, 1:35 pm

tamada wrote:
May 11, 2021, 8:09 pm
Ever seen a pilot not have a gander at the tires before he takes off?
Earnest wrote:
May 12, 2021, 4:57 am
the bloody pilots I've worked with, they leave that to the ground crew.
tamada wrote:
May 12, 2021, 9:58 am
understand that Bush Pilot Airways isn't on the IATA register either.

Typically the walk-around inspection is done by the 1st Officer (co-pilot) as part of a strict regime of knowing what they're taking to to air in. Duties can be shared with certain lead members of ground crews, refueling teams etc.. but they report to the 1st Officer (co-pilot).
Are you a pilot? :shock:
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 13, 2021, 2:58 pm

Earnest wrote:
May 13, 2021, 1:35 pm
tamada wrote:
May 11, 2021, 8:09 pm
Ever seen a pilot not have a gander at the tires before he takes off?
Earnest wrote:
May 12, 2021, 4:57 am
the bloody pilots I've worked with, they leave that to the ground crew.
tamada wrote:
May 12, 2021, 9:58 am
understand that Bush Pilot Airways isn't on the IATA register either.

Typically the walk-around inspection is done by the 1st Officer (co-pilot) as part of a strict regime of knowing what they're taking to to air in. Duties can be shared with certain lead members of ground crews, refueling teams etc.. but they report to the 1st Officer (co-pilot).
Are you a pilot? :shock:
No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”