Solar/Wind energy for the future. Forget it

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
Whistler
udonmap.com

Re: Solar/Wind energy for the future. Forget it

Post by Whistler » October 23, 2020, 12:13 pm

noosard wrote:
October 22, 2020, 11:07 am

Next misleading statement on your part
"Most electric car batteries weigh 230KG with the new Bosch battery coming in at 190KG.
https://www.greenoptimistic.com/bosch-e ... attery-kg/

I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 23, 2020, 8:41 pm

For those who follow greening, an interesting story at https://www.nrel.gov/buildings/assets/pdfs/53539.pdf

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » October 23, 2020, 9:02 pm

Whistler you are away with the fairies
Neither myself or Tam said anything about petrol engines compared to electric
And your post about bosche batteries is dated 2 years before mine so out of date

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 24, 2020, 8:51 am

noosard wrote:
October 23, 2020, 9:02 pm
Whistler you are away with the fairies
Neither myself or Tam said anything about petrol engines compared to electric
And your post about bosche batteries is dated 2 years before mine so out of date
contrarian (kənˈtrɛərɪən)
n
a. a contrary or obstinate person
b. (as modifier): a contrarian investor; contrarian instincts.
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » October 31, 2020, 10:02 am

A bit off topic but one of my 125 AH deep cycle batteries refused to accept a full charge. I was shopping for new batteries and was about to order a set. As a last resort, I did some searching on the Internet. I found that pulse repair chargers sometimes work to bring a battery back to life. I found one named Foxsur on Lazada. I went ahead and spent the less than 500 baht and bought one. Yesterday I hooked it up and set it on the repair option. This morning I was very pleased to see the battery was fully charged. How much longer that old battery will last is another question. So far, so good.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » October 31, 2020, 11:00 am

All this talk about Solar power etc, is fine and dandy, BUT UNTIL Governments and Builders install Solar power as a matter of course in ALL New Builds and start to retro fit other large buildings then the situation will take decades to come to fruition .
Like a Solar park I saw here with the Panels so low to the ground that grass was growing up around them, meaning that it had to be cut ,whereas putting them 8+ feet above ground level would allow grass feeders, cattle and other domestic animals to feed on the grass .
A little fore-thought is all that is needed, sadly here I see very little fore-thought always after-thoughts

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » October 31, 2020, 11:36 am

If the government would repair the power grid problems up here in the boonies, I would not have any solar power systems. I didn't build my systems to save money or to save the earth. The grid going down nearly every day was the reason for me to spend the money. I have power 24/7 from my three small solar systems.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » October 31, 2020, 11:45 am

A milestone reached in the state of South Australia through the week:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-25/ ... e/12810366

This is also relevant:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-02/ ... s/12622382
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » October 31, 2020, 4:22 pm

Those Tesla home systems are great. No way could I justify spending that kind of money when my deep cycle lead acid batteries are so much cheaper and work well with my cheap Chinese components.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » October 31, 2020, 4:34 pm

Biggest problem with the solar installs here is they are doing things on the cheap and it will prove to be a big problem down the line.
I know this as two of my old apprentices report back the goings on during the install periods.
Really is an eye opener.

As for SA, biggest problem they have is the grid system, or rather those responsible for the design/upkeep.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » October 31, 2020, 4:46 pm

SA needs as much help as it can get with a state govt leaning to green thinking.
Transgrid have now put in motion a 1.5 billion project to erect a new overhead electrical grid system from Wagga Wagga NSW into South Aussie and also into Victoria. 4 big substations. To add additional support to the existing overhead infrastructure.
There is also a new Baroota pumped hydro system north of port perie to supply electricity and storage. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » October 31, 2020, 5:00 pm

The Solar Farm in Tailem Bend SA is owned by an Indonesian Consortium who sells the power generated to the Snowy Mountains Authority in NSW. They are responsible for how the power is managed on the grid.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 31, 2020, 5:38 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:
October 31, 2020, 5:00 pm
The Solar Farm in Tailem Bend SA is owned by an Indonesian Consortium who sells the power generated to the Snowy Mountains Authority in NSW. They are responsible for how the power is managed on the grid.
No. AEMO is responsible of how power is managed on the grid, and they are doing a dreadful job in doing so.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » October 31, 2020, 5:45 pm

That system is more sophisticated than the ones along the coast in the south of Thailand. That water in the oversized pond is pumped up there with windmills that produce no electricity, only pump water. There is a pond overflow that drains excess water out of the pond for when the wind pumps more water than needed. The water going back down powers the turbine generator 24/7. I thought it was quite clever. They were producing DC power and were looking at a way to produce AC power because the voltage was so consistent.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 31, 2020, 5:48 pm

Barney wrote:
October 31, 2020, 4:46 pm
SA needs as much help as it can get with a state govt leaning to green thinking.
Transgrid have now put in motion a 1.5 billion project to erect a new overhead electrical grid system from Wagga Wagga NSW into South Aussie and also into Victoria. 4 big substations. To add additional support to the existing overhead infrastructure.
There is also a new Baroota pumped hydro system north of port perie to supply electricity and storage. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Barney, Tamada claims this type of system on the same principles being deployed in Northern NSW is all hot air, you can not possibly be correct.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » November 7, 2020, 3:33 pm

tamada wrote:
October 14, 2020, 6:20 am

Can this new-fangled NSW energy facility run on BS too or are they similarly confused about the technology they espouse?
Still think it is BS? Experts in renewables do not get confused, that is why they are experts.

https://www.smh.com.au/environment/clim ... 56c30.html

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 7, 2020, 8:08 pm

Whistler wrote:
November 7, 2020, 3:33 pm
tamada wrote:

Can this new-fangled NSW energy facility run on BS too or are they similarly confused about the technology they espouse?
Still think it is BS? Experts in renewables do not get confused, that is why they are experts.

Interesting read, thanks for the follow up.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » November 7, 2020, 8:19 pm

tamada wrote:
November 7, 2020, 8:08 pm
Whistler wrote:
tamada wrote:

LFMAO

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » November 7, 2020, 8:42 pm

tamada wrote:
Whistler wrote:
tamada wrote:

Agree with most of what you say, we really need to get away from battery storage even if future batteries become more efficient and last longer. One point to note though is that map of 600K+ sites for hydro schemes shows an awful lot of them around coastal fringe areas which are the predominate population centers as well. Huge areas of our habitable planet will not support these hydro schemes either as the terrain is pancake flat so new dams and flooded areas are going to be as controversial as huge wind farms or PV fields. Just too many people on the Planet now, dont know if there is a solution.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 8, 2020, 6:30 am

Whistler wrote:
November 7, 2020, 8:19 pm
tamada wrote:
Whistler wrote:
tamada wrote:

LFMAO
There were two Whistlers, one never knew his mother.

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”