Farang banned from Temples and Buses

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Re: Farang banned from Temples and Buses

Post by Khun Paul » June 17, 2020, 12:47 pm

When all the attractions including Temples start wanting money then they will open them all back up again , Thais are cheap charlies, pay very little to get in so entrance coffers will suffer and therrefore less money for the attractions etc .

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » June 17, 2020, 1:04 pm

noosard wrote:
June 13, 2020, 8:46 pm
Sorry New you are not the only foreigner on those buses
Maybe the only farang
Sorry but All foreigners are farangs

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » June 17, 2020, 2:43 pm

dunroaming wrote:
June 17, 2020, 1:04 pm
That's actually an interesting question, about which a fair amount has been written. For anyone with some time who would like to read more about this....

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farang

What exactly does 'farang' mean in Thai?: https://www.into-asia.com/thai_language/farang.php

How to tell if you're still a farang: https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opi ... l-a-farang

Culture: Classifying the Thai term ‘Farang’: https://www.thephuketnews.com/culture-c ... -53146.php

Urban Dictionary: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=farang

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 17, 2020, 2:54 pm

dunroaming wrote:
June 17, 2020, 1:04 pm

Even those from Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar etc?

joepai
udonmap.com

Post by joepai » June 17, 2020, 2:59 pm

Why is this such a contentious point - in the end does it really matter that much to you ?
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » June 17, 2020, 11:31 pm

joepai wrote:
June 17, 2020, 2:59 pm
Why is this such a contentious point - in the end does it really matter that much to you ?
I think it only matters because it shows the Thai attitude towards Farang. if this was done in Canada for example people would scream racism.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » June 18, 2020, 6:31 am

jai yen yen wrote:
June 17, 2020, 11:31 pm
joepai wrote:
I think it only matters because it shows the Thai attitude towards Farang. if this was done in Canada for example people would scream racism.
Well let's face it, most Falang here feel they are superior to the general Thai population, so if the word 'Falang' is being used as an insult, it is probably warranted.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 18, 2020, 10:49 am

newtovillagelife wrote:
June 18, 2020, 6:31 am
jai yen yen wrote:
joepai wrote:
Well let's face it, most Falang here feel they are superior to the general Thai population, so if the word 'Falang' is being used as an insult, it is probably warranted.
Seconded.

There are two types of farang: the happy, open-minded, xenophile that doesn't care about being called farang and the bigoted, misanthropic sociopath that does.

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » June 18, 2020, 10:55 pm

newtovillagelife wrote:
June 18, 2020, 6:31 am
jai yen yen wrote:
joepai wrote:
You missed my point, it is not about the meaning or use of the word farang, it is about not allowing foreigners into the temples and on buses. The topic of this post. Like I said, if this was done in Canada for example it would be considered racist and would not fly even if it made sense to do it. The first 40 cases of covid 19 were Chinese going through Vancouver airport directly from Wuhan China. People here wanted the government to stop the flights from China but that was deemed to be offensive and racist to the Chinese so they let them walk through our airport into the general population and start the infection here in B.C. A lot of people died here for political correctness.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 19, 2020, 3:31 am

I've grown to appreciate learning, in very small ways, how it might feel to be on the other side of the racial fence. The feelings you might get when you go to immigration or when the traffic police stop you or when you read signs like the ones banning foreigners from temples or buses. An expat who had been in Udon since the early 70's, now passed away, advised me to always present a positive image when in town. Although I speak and read/write Thai, on the occasions that I'm referred to as a falang, I've never felt slighted by it.
On a few occasions like at a national park and asked to pay the foreigner park, I tell the official that I'm a ชาวต่างชัาติ (foreigner without saying 'falang') and present my pink ID card. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
As an aside, I notice today Governor Cuomo of NY is considering not allowing Floridians in his state. Payback, I suppose for all the Floridians who took umbrage at the NY'ers who fled to Florida when NY was in dire straits with the Covid problem.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » June 19, 2020, 4:51 pm

Happens all over the World. Where I am, they refer to us in the Immigration & Traffic Department etc, plus Media, as "Aliens". Doesn't bother me, because I look better that they do. \:D/ :lol:

Alien.jpg

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”