Farang banned from Temples and Buses

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Re: Farang banned from Temples and Buses

Post by pipoz4444 » June 12, 2020, 1:22 pm

jackspratt wrote:
June 11, 2020, 8:23 pm
pipoz4444 wrote:
June 11, 2020, 8:06 pm

Now Vince, you are starting to apply logic to the decisions the Thais make :lol: :fryingpan: :fryingpan:

I doubt many know how to spell the word, let alone apply it :confused: :confused:

pipoz4444
Is that you, Khun Paul? :-k
What, JS, two people on the Forum cannot have similar views on a subject matter or is that against your self-opinionated rules.

There are a lot of people in the word that actually do think along similar lines and then their are a lot that don't. I would say the split is 50/50 :-k

As I said, I was having my "Happy Day" for the week. \:D/

pipoz44444

That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 12, 2020, 1:55 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
June 12, 2020, 1:22 pm
jackspratt wrote:
June 11, 2020, 8:23 pm

Is that you, Khun Paul? :-k
What, JS, two people on the Forum cannot have similar views on a subject matter or is that against your self-opinionated rules.

pipoz44444
You are welcome to your views, and to share them with as many as you like - just as you are welcome to be KP Jr. ;)

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » June 12, 2020, 2:03 pm

Thank you JS

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » June 12, 2020, 7:13 pm

All this has come from a POSSIBLE PROPOSAL of when Borders are reopened.

The Govt said it would allow people in from certain countries if they have a very good Corona Virus record.

They stated they MIGHT let them in BUT they would be banned from using Public Transport and from visiting Social Venues for 14 days.

Some halfwit in authority has decided to put it into effect now.

Probably the Minister who says all the Corona virus in Thailand comes from Falangs.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 13, 2020, 8:26 am

jackspratt wrote:
June 12, 2020, 11:20 am
Khun Paul wrote:
June 12, 2020, 7:20 am

Sadly no, it is not me , I do not expect logic in many Thai actions therefore rarely comment on its application or lack thereof.
Your lack of self-awareness is stunning, KP - given that you are far and away the most consistent commenter on UM on this point.

2 full pages of it, starting here search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keyw ... 9&start=20

I imagine UT copped a fair dose of your nonsense also, when you were blessing them exclusively with your presence.
I do not have the time nor the inclination to read the drivel you rake up on any point I make , just to score points. You must have a VERY sad life if that is all you can do. Not interested in any way what you find or think, you are in the same boat as couple of others who post nonsensical rubbish just to show they have the time and lack of a real life to search and post to score a point or two.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 13, 2020, 9:27 am

Handbag alert!

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 13, 2020, 4:45 pm

Interesting column in the BKK Post today which highlights what we have been saying :
'This cannot be serious" was my initial reaction to news reports saying the Transport Company is imposing a ban on foreign travellers as a measure to curb the spread of Covid-19.

Or it might be fake news? In fact, such news reports are strange enough to belong in a "believe it or not" column.

So yesterday I telephoned the company's call centre and the female operator just confirmed with a simple "yes". She also said the weird rule applied to all expats who have been living here for decades.

"If they are foreigners, they cannot board the bus," she said, adding the rule requires all passengers to show an identification card to prove they are Thai.

The information officer said it is the company's policy and she had no idea when the ban would be lifted.

Absurd, isn't it? Don't they know the country has been locked down for months, with the closure of airports, piers and border checkpoints since April? With such closures, no foreign visitors or tourists are allowed in, so where would a travel-related virus come from?

If that were not absurd enough, there are reports that at least one temple in Bangkok -- Wat Pho -- which is very famous among tourists, has also adopted a "Thai-only" policy, which is blatant discrimination and has been met with widespread criticism.

A temple caretaker at Wat Pho told Khaosod English the temple is "not ready for foreign visitors yet".

But we cannot blame the temple and the Transport Company -- not entirely. For nearly three months, the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) has injected a strong idea that foreigners or Thais abroad are a health threat, in other words: potential virus carriers.

The notion of "if they are allowed in, the country would be at risk of more infections" led to a ban on foreign visitors and stringent measures against Thais wishing to return home. The state came up with ways to make it tough to return, which means stranded Thais are unfairly exposed to Covid-19.

Infections can now be controlled. Low numbers of new cases at state quarantine centres and favourable situations have led to the easing of the lockdown. Yet, too many people, like those at the Transport Company and the temple in question, still have this stigma and have got hold of an irrelevant -- and weird -- policy.

Worse, state agencies endorsed such discrimination.

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration and the Tourism Ministry insist each temple can adopt its own rules, to close or open to whomever it wishes. I am at my wit's end why they don't see how useless the Thais-only policy and practice are with regard to Covid-19 prevention.

Air travel and borders are expected to remain closed until at least July. In fact, the "Thais only" gate was there at the temple long before Covid-19 hit the country. When Thais visit a temple, they don't have to pay or buy tickets. This is because it is presumed Thais are there to make merit.

I don't agree with this policy, but I recognise the idea behind it: Thais pay taxes. No, they don't need to get a ticket. Such a rule is applied in neighbouring countries such as Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar. A Thai tourist who holds Buddhist beliefs gets no waiver there.

Such an explanation is not rational. There are many expats who also pay taxes, some at a very high rate, not to mention that some are Buddhists. I'd bet even if they are able to chant the Five Precepts at the gate, temple caretakers would still insist on them buying tickets. It is too complicated.

But we cannot expect such a rule to be lifted any time soon. Discrimination will persist as long as the state does not learn about the problem. Several state-run recreational sites, national parks, museums and others condone discrimination by adopting two-tier tickets or prices.

Some universal rules like the reduction of fares for retirees using the public transport sector are applied to Thais only. If this isn't a form of discrimination, what is?

Just as countries around the world rise up against racism, referring to the Black Lives Matter movement, the people of Thailand and the Thai state are defiantly keeping such an ugly practice.

Thailand always claims it is one of the best countries for tourism. This is self-deceiving, if not a lie. The government and tourism authorities, in particular, must wake up and correct where they are wrong.

No, I do not mean the country should entirely reopen without any anti-virus rules. Precaution like mask-wearing and social distancing must be maintained. The virus is dreadful, but no one should allow it to rob us of common sense.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » June 13, 2020, 4:51 pm

Paul the bus company must be so rich they need no foreign customers
Good luck to them or f em
Same as some tourist trap in Bangkok
let them keep it to themselves
Believe it is called cutting off the nose to spite the face

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » June 13, 2020, 5:21 pm

it's distressing how they seem to keep moving
backwards . as one guy said , no farangs have
been allowed to travel for . . . months?

the only ones coming through airport are repatriated thais working abroad? this negative
agenda, always in the background is wearisome

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » June 13, 2020, 8:28 pm

quik trip around downtown. you'd think people
never heard of covid19. crazy & boisterous as
ever. uuhhrr i'm gonna wait a little bit longer

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » June 13, 2020, 8:44 pm

noosard wrote:
June 13, 2020, 4:51 pm
Paul the bus company must be so rich they need no foreign customers
Good luck to them or f em
Same as some tourist trap in Bangkok
let them keep it to themselves
Believe it is called cutting off the nose to spite the face
I'm sure losing maybe 1% of their customer base is a hardship. I've been on quite a few buses, don't think they have a problem packing them in, and most of the time I'm the only Falang. But does this policy make any logical sense, of course not, it makes them look like idiots.
Last edited by newtovillagelife on June 13, 2020, 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » June 13, 2020, 8:46 pm

Sorry New you are not the only foreigner on those buses
Maybe the only farang

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » June 13, 2020, 8:48 pm

noosard wrote:
June 13, 2020, 8:46 pm
Sorry New you are not the only foreigner on those buses
Maybe the only farang
Good point. I still think they are not hurting, and will be able to fill the buses.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 13, 2020, 8:53 pm

Do many expats actually use the inter provincial death traps?

If it's only backpackers with their 2 x bottle of water a day budgets, then "no probs" they cant get past the border anyway

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » June 14, 2020, 6:07 am

How about all the foreign workers from neighbouring countries
I believe there is plenty of them
Could be the gov worried by a labour shortage

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » June 14, 2020, 7:06 am

noosard wrote:
June 14, 2020, 6:07 am
How about all the foreign workers from neighbouring countries
I believe there is plenty of them
Could be the gov worried by a labour shortage
Labour shortage??? Not much going on right now though is there?? Easy to open up the spigot when needed.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » June 14, 2020, 7:31 am

was a story in the Thaiger saying a labour shortage last week
https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/migr ... -shortages

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » June 14, 2020, 3:40 pm

Seems like us farang are persona non grata.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... s-out-poll
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 14, 2020, 4:21 pm

Polling in New Zealand would perhaps give even stronger results. People in many countries are wary of foreigners coming in with Covid 19. It isn't just a Thai view. The Finns are wary of travellers from Sweden and the Greeks wary of travellers from Britain etc.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » June 17, 2020, 11:27 am

Courtesy of Richard Barrow...

There seems to a common theme developing in Thailand this year which is worrying. It has sort of always been there with the #2PriceThailand theme, but it is now bubbling to the surface more frequently.

FOR THAI PEOPLE ONLY >>> เฉพาะชาวไทย <<

During the #COVID19 pandemic in #Thailand we have seen banks and shops refusing foreign customers, temples, buses and even whole provinces banning entry to foreigners. The latest is Sri Nakarin Dam National Park in Kanchanaburi province. They will re-open to the general public on 1st July 2020 for Thai tourists only. Foreigners are not allowed.

Why? I am not sure. Maybe because they are limiting the two waterfalls to only 150 and 300 people per day and they want this for Thai people only. Or maybe because they are worried the foreigners may infect the Thai tourists with Covid-19. If you want to know the answer, then ask them yourself on their Facebook post below 👇 that I shared or by visiting their page: https://www.facebook.com/khueansrinagarindra/
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”