UK News

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
Post Reply
User avatar
stattointhailand
udonmap.com
Posts: 13034
Joined: October 25, 2007, 11:34 pm
Location: Oiling the locks on my gun case

Re: UK News

Post by stattointhailand » June 5, 2020, 1:54 pm

AlexO wrote:
June 5, 2020, 6:52 am
stattointhailand wrote:
June 4, 2020, 11:17 pm
Interesting fact ..... the UK now has more daily deaths from CV than the rest of EU combined (all 27 of them) and UK has the advantage of being islands
Again one has to question where you get your (totally incorrect) information from.
Figures published today
Deaths from COVID
UK 39,904
Italy 33,698
Spain 27,133
So your statement is inaccurate by many thousands for just 2 EU Countries never mind the 27. Maybe better if you stopped believing everything that cas per usual you jump to omes from the Planet Zog as truthful.
as per usual you dont read what is written and then claim what you THINK it says is wrong .. a daily average is NOT the grand total .......... hope we NEVER get to 40k a day [-X [-X [-X [-X



User avatar
JimboPSM
udonmap.com
Posts: 3502
Joined: July 4, 2005, 3:23 pm
Location: Isle of Man / Bangkok / Udon Thani

Re: UK News

Post by JimboPSM » June 5, 2020, 6:29 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
June 5, 2020, 1:54 pm
AlexO wrote:
June 5, 2020, 6:52 am
stattointhailand wrote:
June 4, 2020, 11:17 pm
Interesting fact ..... the UK now has more daily deaths from CV than the rest of EU combined (all 27 of them) and UK has the advantage of being islands
Again one has to question where you get your (totally incorrect) information from.
Figures published today
Deaths from COVID
UK 39,904
Italy 33,698
Spain 27,133
So your statement is inaccurate by many thousands for just 2 EU Countries never mind the 27. Maybe better if you stopped believing everything that cas per usual you jump to omes from the Planet Zog as truthful.
as per usual you dont read what is written and then claim what you THINK it says is wrong .. a daily average is NOT the grand total .......... hope we NEVER get to 40k a day [-X [-X [-X [-X
It was reported on Thursday 4th June 2020 in an article in that well known rag of the loony left, “The Times”.

The article in "The Times" was by Tom Whipple, the Science Editor of "The Times".

Extract from the article:
The number of people reported dying of coronavirus in the UK exceeds that in all of the EU countries combined, according to the latest mortality figures.

In the most recent daily toll, 359 people were reported dead in the UK. According to the most recently reported figures elsewhere, that compares to 345 in the 27 EU countries. However, statisticians have cautioned that we should be careful in interpreting those figures....


Full article: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/uk-d ... -6sf7bbcrs
.
Ashamed to be English since 23rd June 2016 when England voted for racism (and economic suicide).

Humiliated to have Johnson (a racist, serial liar and hypocrite) as UK Prime Minister.

User avatar
GT93
udonmap.com
Posts: 6296
Joined: June 5, 2009, 9:37 am
Location: Auckland

Re: UK News

Post by GT93 » June 6, 2020, 2:06 am

Pull ya socks up AlexO. I read in The Guardian, another prestigious English rag with several international editions, that the R value is perhaps over 1 in the north west. I would expect some measures from a sensible government to try to tip it below 1.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... st-england

England has missed having Mrs May at the helm in its battle against Covid 19. She would have attended every one of the early Cobra meetings and been well on top of the issues. Unlike you know who. And boy is you know who having his arse whipped by Starmer in the PMQs. It's getting embarrassing.

User avatar
AlexO
udonmap.com
Posts: 1251
Joined: June 8, 2015, 11:45 am
Location: Nong Lat Udon

Re: UK News

Post by AlexO » June 6, 2020, 6:43 am

stattointhailand wrote:
June 5, 2020, 1:54 pm
AlexO wrote:
June 5, 2020, 6:52 am
stattointhailand wrote:
June 4, 2020, 11:17 pm
Interesting fact ..... the UK now has more daily deaths from CV than the rest of EU combined (all 27 of them) and UK has the advantage of being islands
Again one has to question where you get your (totally incorrect) information from.
Figures published today
Deaths from COVID
UK 39,904
Italy 33,698
Spain 27,133
So your statement is inaccurate by many thousands for just 2 EU Countries never mind the 27. Maybe better if you stopped believing everything that cas per usual you jump to omes from the Planet Zog as truthful.
as per usual you dont read what is written and then claim what you THINK it says is wrong .. a daily average is NOT the grand total .......... hope we NEVER get to 40k a day [-X [-X [-X [-X
I offer my most abject apologies for not picking up that you found that for a single day (daily) the published UK death rate (4th May) was more than the whole EU was interesting rather than very sad. The article also had many caveats such as how deaths are reported and that various EU states had the virus appear earlier than the UK and thus cases peaked earlier. I wish I could bow to a greater intellect but sadly not.

User avatar
AlexO
udonmap.com
Posts: 1251
Joined: June 8, 2015, 11:45 am
Location: Nong Lat Udon

Re: UK News

Post by AlexO » June 6, 2020, 7:23 am

Pull ya socks up AlexO. I read in The Guardian, another prestigious English rag with several international editions, that the R value is perhaps over 1 in the north west. I would expect some measures from a sensible government to try to tip it below 1.
GT93
Just what magic wand do you suggest Gov UK use to bring the R number in the North West down, you are inferring that they are not doing enough? What do you recommend? booze bans, curfews . Has your new demi God, Sir Starmer actually come up with any sensible suggestions as to how Liebour would have done things differently or is he just taking advantage of a Government who is tackling this type of pandemic for the first time in decades and just showboating by complaining rather than being the "Positive Opposition" he claimed he would lead.

RLTrader
udonmap.com
Posts: 1994
Joined: June 3, 2007, 8:49 am

Re: UK News

Post by RLTrader » June 6, 2020, 8:22 am

UKC News:

‘More Vaccines, More Masks, More Social Distancing’
Co-host Mike Robinson and Patrick Henningsen with this week’s news from the UK and the world.

https://21stcenturywire.com/2020/06/05/ ... istancing/

User avatar
AlexO
udonmap.com
Posts: 1251
Joined: June 8, 2015, 11:45 am
Location: Nong Lat Udon

Re: UK News

Post by AlexO » June 6, 2020, 8:46 am

RLTrader wrote:
June 6, 2020, 8:22 am
UKC News:

‘More Vaccines, More Masks, More Social Distancing’
Co-host Mike Robinson and Patrick Henningsen with this week’s news from the UK and the world.

https://21stcenturywire.com/2020/06/05/ ... istancing/
Trader
Just confirm the available vaccines as of todays date. Masks, interestingly the WHO have after more than 3 months of a global pandemic just changed tack on the wearing of masks and now recommend them, amazing that it only took 3 months for the 'experts' to come up with that one after telling the World masks were not recommended for Joe Public. The UK has some of the most strict social distancing rules and it has only been in the last couple of weeks that a total lockdown has been relaxed. I believe the R factor for the North West is around 1.05 so not so critical in the big picture.

User avatar
GT93
udonmap.com
Posts: 6296
Joined: June 5, 2009, 9:37 am
Location: Auckland

Re: UK News

Post by GT93 » June 6, 2020, 9:47 am

It's not magic AlexO. It's simply a matter of competent governance. Policy advisers can look abroad to see what seems to work and what might work domestically. That's what other governments have been doing. E.g. what's Taiwan doing that we aren't?

The UK lock down wasn't complete. There were plenty of people entering the UK with Covid 19 during the UK lock down. And, of course, entitled UK residents were doing what they pleased.

User avatar
AlexO
udonmap.com
Posts: 1251
Joined: June 8, 2015, 11:45 am
Location: Nong Lat Udon

Re: UK News

Post by AlexO » June 6, 2020, 10:06 am

GT93 wrote:
June 6, 2020, 9:47 am
It's not magic AlexO. It's simply a matter of competent governance. Policy advisers can look abroad to see what seems to work and what might work domestically. That's what other governments have been doing. E.g. what's Taiwan doing that we aren't?

The UK lock down wasn't complete. There were plenty of people entering the UK with Covid 19 during the UK lock down. And, of course, entitled UK residents were doing what they pleased.
So the French, Spanish, Italian etc Governments were not competent either. The WHO as President Trump has always claimed after their complete U turn on masks were never competent just a mouthpiece for the Chinese Government. Just what is Taiwan doing that the UK and EU are not doing. Of course the "entitled UK Residents" doing what they please is the fault of Boris and Co. Why not just bring in mandatory 10 year sentences without jury trial on a prison ship somewhere west of the Shetlands for breaking the rules would that go down well with Guardian readers.

tinpeeba
udonmap.com
Posts: 335
Joined: March 14, 2006, 2:51 am
Location: London or Udon

Re: UK News

Post by tinpeeba » June 6, 2020, 8:17 pm

AlexO wrote:
June 6, 2020, 8:46 am
RLTrader wrote:
June 6, 2020, 8:22 am
UKC News:

‘More Vaccines, More Masks, More Social Distancing’
Co-host Mike Robinson and Patrick Henningsen with this week’s news from the UK and the world.

https://21stcenturywire.com/2020/06/05/ ... istancing/
Masks, interestingly the WHO have after more than 3 months of a global pandemic just changed tack on the wearing of masks and now recommend them, amazing that it only took 3 months for the 'experts' to come up with that one after telling the World masks were not recommended for Joe Public.
The WHO view was that the shortage of masks to protect health workers was the most important factor. Civilian masks were of marginal positive benefit. At a time of crisis and short supply the WHO gave good advice.

May I suggest you look for a more reliable source of information.
"21st Century Wire
CONSPIRACY-PSEUDOSCIENCE
Sources in the Conspiracy-Pseudoscience category may publish unverifiable information that is not always supported by evidence. These sources may be untrustworthy for credible/verifiable information, therefore fact checking and further investigation is recommended on a per article basis when obtaining information from these sources. 21st Century Wire is a conspiracy and conjecture site run by Patrick Henningsen. Henningsen has ties to both Infowars and Alex Jones, also known for fake news and broad conspiracies. They also seem to have ties to, or at least to be pro-Russian in much of their content. Specifically Russia Today (RT) the state run Russian news outlet."
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/21st-century-wire/

User avatar
GT93
udonmap.com
Posts: 6296
Joined: June 5, 2009, 9:37 am
Location: Auckland

Re: UK News

Post by GT93 » June 7, 2020, 3:31 am

Johnson is nearly in a league of his own. On a personal level, after shaking hands with Covid 19 patents, he was endangering the lives of those who had the misfortune to be near him. I think that is (and should be if it isn't) criminally culpable behaviour. I can't recall reading about any investigation. Why not?

Johnson appears like Trump to be unfit for office. Not just incompetent, but unfit. I note there was an opinion piece in The New York Times a few months ago making this point. I think it was written by one of Blair's old team.

joudon
udonmap.com
Posts: 321
Joined: August 31, 2010, 4:08 pm

Re: UK News

Post by joudon » June 7, 2020, 6:01 am

'One of Blairs old team' just about sums it up. Blair, war criminal, architect of the social breakdown of the UK with his mass immigration of 'enrichers' and leader of a government of economic failure.Boris elected on a landslide and all of the wet,pc liberal numpties cannot accept that.

User avatar
AlexO
udonmap.com
Posts: 1251
Joined: June 8, 2015, 11:45 am
Location: Nong Lat Udon

Re: UK News

Post by AlexO » June 7, 2020, 7:42 am

tinpeeba wrote:
June 6, 2020, 8:17 pm
AlexO wrote:
June 6, 2020, 8:46 am
RLTrader wrote:
June 6, 2020, 8:22 am
UKC News:

‘More Vaccines, More Masks, More Social Distancing’
Co-host Mike Robinson and Patrick Henningsen with this week’s news from the UK and the world.

https://21stcenturywire.com/2020/06/05/ ... istancing/
Masks, interestingly the WHO have after more than 3 months of a global pandemic just changed tack on the wearing of masks and now recommend them, amazing that it only took 3 months for the 'experts' to come up with that one after telling the World masks were not recommended for Joe Public.
The WHO view was that the shortage of masks to protect health workers was the most important factor. Civilian masks were of marginal positive benefit. At a time of crisis and short supply the WHO gave good advice.

May I suggest you look for a more reliable source of information.
"21st Century Wire
CONSPIRACY-PSEUDOSCIENCE
Sources in the Conspiracy-Pseudoscience category may publish unverifiable information that is not always supported by evidence. These sources may be untrustworthy for credible/verifiable information, therefore fact checking and further investigation is recommended on a per article basis when obtaining information from these sources. 21st Century Wire is a conspiracy and conjecture site run by Patrick Henningsen. Henningsen has ties to both Infowars and Alex Jones, also known for fake news and broad conspiracies. They also seem to have ties to, or at least to be pro-Russian in much of their content. Specifically Russia Today (RT) the state run Russian news outlet."
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/21st-century-wire/
PeeBa
You forgot to mention that the WHO failed to caveat their advice of 3 months ago to tell Joe Public that fabric masks as opposed to medical masks would be beneficial in helping prevent the spread. They managed to do it 3 months or more into the pandemic (what has changed). I would also suggest that the 'Guardian' is a less biased and more reliable source of information than 21st Century Wire (and the Guardian is very near the bottom of the pile in my view)

User avatar
saint
udonmap.com
Posts: 3415
Joined: February 28, 2008, 5:31 pm
Location: the truth is out there . but dont dare tell it !!!!

Re: UK News

Post by saint » June 7, 2020, 11:33 am

They probably already knew that masks and ppe would be in short supply , because China was busy buying it all up mid November from whoever they could get to sell it to them for weeks , before Taiwan alerted the world to the Covid problem .Trump may well be right to stop funding this bunch of corrupt , alleged health experts .
Someone needed to put the cat into the oh so cozy pidgeon loft .

User avatar
GT93
udonmap.com
Posts: 6296
Joined: June 5, 2009, 9:37 am
Location: Auckland

Re: UK News

Post by GT93 » June 7, 2020, 1:15 pm

joudon wrote:
June 7, 2020, 6:01 am
'One of Blairs old team' just about sums it up. Blair, war criminal, architect of the social breakdown of the UK with his mass immigration of 'enrichers' and leader of a government of economic failure.Boris elected on a landslide and all of the wet,pc liberal numpties cannot accept that.
A horrific pandemic was pending and Johnson couldn't be bothered attending Cobra meetings. There's no way a PM like that is remotely fit for office even if he secured Brexit. And then he was bragging about spreading Covid 19 (the hand shaking). Why isn't he in the dock at the Old Bailey?

The case against Johnson being unfit for office is now overwhelming. His recent gross undermining of social distancing measures in supporting Cummings again shows he isn't fit for office. I'm not focusing on competence. This is way more than a question of competence. What's the matter with the UK? He wouldn't last 5 minutes in other Westminster style democracies.

User avatar
stattointhailand
udonmap.com
Posts: 13034
Joined: October 25, 2007, 11:34 pm
Location: Oiling the locks on my gun case

Re: UK News

Post by stattointhailand » June 7, 2020, 2:15 pm

World death toll from CV19 now passes 400,000 of which UK has over 10% (with well under 1% of the worlds population)

User avatar
AlexO
udonmap.com
Posts: 1251
Joined: June 8, 2015, 11:45 am
Location: Nong Lat Udon

Re: UK News

Post by AlexO » June 7, 2020, 7:47 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
June 7, 2020, 2:15 pm
World death toll from CV19 now passes 400,000 of which UK has over 10% (with well under 1% of the worlds population)
And your point is? 2 months ago Spain and Italy probably has in excess of 10% of world deaths, was that a political issue for you??

User avatar
AlexO
udonmap.com
Posts: 1251
Joined: June 8, 2015, 11:45 am
Location: Nong Lat Udon

Re: UK News

Post by AlexO » June 7, 2020, 7:55 pm

GT93 wrote:
June 7, 2020, 1:15 pm
joudon wrote:
June 7, 2020, 6:01 am
'One of Blairs old team' just about sums it up. Blair, war criminal, architect of the social breakdown of the UK with his mass immigration of 'enrichers' and leader of a government of economic failure.Boris elected on a landslide and all of the wet,pc liberal numpties cannot accept that.
A horrific pandemic was pending and Johnson couldn't be bothered attending Cobra meetings. There's no way a PM like that is remotely fit for office even if he secured Brexit. And then he was bragging about spreading Covid 19 (the hand shaking). Why isn't he in the dock at the Old Bailey?

The case against Johnson being unfit for office is now overwhelming. His recent gross undermining of social distancing measures in supporting Cummings again shows he isn't fit for office. I'm not focusing on competence. This is way more than a question of competence. What's the matter with the UK? He wouldn't last 5 minutes in other Westminster style democracies.
Was actually SAGE meetings GT93, while he was working (when sick with the virus) to try and organise the UK to minimise the effects of this pandemic. He sent his senior advisor to listen and take notes because he and his team are not in any way able to contribute to these meetings as they have no medical knowledge. Maybe he should have asked Sir Nigel Stammer to attend, he would have really had an input to the meetings of these senior medical people.

tinpeeba
udonmap.com
Posts: 335
Joined: March 14, 2006, 2:51 am
Location: London or Udon

Re: UK News

Post by tinpeeba » June 8, 2020, 2:17 am

"PeeBa
You forgot to mention that the WHO failed to caveat their advice of 3 months ago to tell Joe Public that fabric masks as opposed to medical masks would be beneficial in helping prevent the spread. They managed to do it 3 months or more into the pandemic (what has changed). I would also suggest that the 'Guardian' is a less biased and more reliable source of information than 21st Century Wire (and the Guardian is very near the bottom of the pile in my view)"


AlexO
I agree that the Guardian is a less biased and more reliable source of information than 21st Century Wire.

The Guardian's article "WHO advises public to wear face masks when unable to distance" of 5th June 2020 https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... s-over-60s explains the WHO rationale on face coverings:

"Until now the global body has been reluctant to advocate the wearing of face coverings by the public because of limited evidence that they offer protection. There were also fears of a rush on masks leading to shortages of medical-grade versions for health workers. The new guidance follows research commissioned by the organisation into what sort of mask could protect people in the community. It is still unknown whether the wearers are protected, say its experts, but the new design it advocates does give protection to other people if properly used. Masks are no substitute for physical distancing and hand hygiene, it was emphasised. Dr Maria Van Kerkhove, technical lead of Covid-19 response and the head of emerging diseases and zoonosis unit at WHO, expressed concerns about masks offering a false sense of security at protests, such as those taking place over the killing of George Floyd in the US. “There are many gatherings taking place across the globe for different reasons. People who put a homemade mask on feel a sense of protection. It is a false sense of protection,” she said.
“Masks must be part of a comprehensive strategy. They do not work alone. They must be used with a number of measures. I want to stress that anyone who is unwell should be at home. They should be tested, their contact should be identified and they should be in quarantine.”"

The WHO previous interim guidance https://www.humanitarianresponse.info/s ... 3-eng1.pdf
stated:
"Type of Mask
WHO stresses that it is critical that medical masks and
respirators be prioritized for health care workers.
The use of masks made of other materials (e.g., cotton
fabric), also known as nonmedical masks, in the community
setting has not been well evaluated. There is no current
evidence to make a recommendation for or against their use
in this setting.
WHO is collaborating with research and development
partners to better understand the effectiveness and efficiency
of nonmedical masks. WHO is also strongly encouraging
countries that issue recommendations for the use of masks in
healthy people in the community to conduct research on this
critical topic. WHO will update its guidance when new
evidence becomes available. "

Chuchi
udonmap.com
Posts: 527
Joined: April 17, 2016, 1:55 pm

Re: UK News

Post by Chuchi » June 9, 2020, 7:20 am

stattointhailand wrote:
May 26, 2020, 2:24 pm
NHS intensive care doctor on sky news this morning saying if Cummings is allowed to stay he is no longer prepared to put his life at risk and will resign.

sage group scientist saying by backing Cummings Bojo has "trashed" months of hard work getting the public to believe the govt advice
A follow up on your Dr

Is this the krank ?
65003C7E-DD84-4B5A-8E80-9EE02BEE6828.png

He seems to have a history of resigning, “well has he gone yet?”
I

Post Reply

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”