What happened to Australia ?

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
saint
udonmap.com

Re: What happened to Australia ?

Post by saint » March 22, 2019, 4:25 am

No one seems to be able to answer my question . Yet collectively you have given me a good indication as to what happened to that once proud colony . So thankyou , I think .

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » March 22, 2019, 5:06 am

I think the first reply, Jack's, was the best response. It was also modest.

Australia is a fantastic country and a baby being born in Australia today is very fortunate indeed. If a baby could choose his or her country of birth, I think Australia would be a top 6 pick.

The standard of living in Australia has advanced in leaps and bounds since the 1960s. Recently over 25 years with no recession.

Sure they have issues. Too many of their more important federal politicians have been second rate over the last decade.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » March 22, 2019, 1:08 pm

saint wrote:No one seems to be able to answer my question . Yet collectively you have given me a good indication as to what happened to that once proud colony . So thankyou , I think .
Saint you didn’t answer mine, why were you in Aussie, work or pleasure,and what circle did you mingle in. Would give a better perspective of how you came to your conclusion of Aussies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » March 22, 2019, 4:04 pm

The "gobby and brash" circle. That's not exactly a small circle in Straya.

Millions of young Strayans could have been Shane Warne if they had his bowling skills.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » March 22, 2019, 6:49 pm

Not bad for a joint that's struggling: https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/12/ ... mum-wages/
Attachments
mI-E4wABcIzWwAWUEcO0ay_dN_ggz4Oc3jFvfQ4yEtI.PNG
Watch Me!!

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » March 22, 2019, 10:42 pm

marjamlew wrote:
March 22, 2019, 6:49 pm
Not bad for a joint that's struggling: https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/12/ ... mum-wages/
Minimum wage maybe, but it has to be read in conjunction with how much the Government takes back in all forms of Tax, what you then have left for your personnel expenditure after that and what it now the cost to buy your Fundamentals in life.

Year 1975
The typical Holden Kingswood HQ cost about AUS $ 4,400 to buy
Average Cost of a Home/House Adelaide $ 16,250 Obviously varies but very critical to your Standards of Living
Average Full Time Earnings was around $ 7,600 PA
Everyday Costs
Loaf of Bread $0.24
Petrol $ 0.57 per litre
Litre of Milk $ 0.30

40 Years on 2015
The Holden Commodore cost about AUS $ 37,000 to 48,000 to buy
Average Cost of a Home/House Adelaide $ 459,250, according to some data - A F..kn lot more , 28 Times in 40 years
Average Full Time Earnings was around $ 72,000 PA
Everyday Costs
Loaf of Bread $2.84
Petrol $ 1.20 per litre
Liter of Milk $ 1.45

House Cost: I can only speak from a real example of mine,
1984 - I (Me and the Bank) bought my first house in Adelaide in good inner suburb and paid $ 45,500. That same house (actually the one next door) is now for Sale for $ 805,000. This is a multiple increase of 17.69 times in 36 Years - Average Yearly Increase 0.49

My Salary at that time (1984) was Gross $10,000 Per Year or about $8000 per Year Take Home Pay, which meant that my House was going to cost me some 5.59 Times my Yearly Take Home Pay (After Tax) Salary. i.e. In under six years I could buy the House if I saved every penny. :lol: :D

Now if I was the same age starting out and starting that same/similar job now in Adelaide, my Gross Salary would be about $70,000 Per Year and the Take Home amount from that, would be $49,000 Per Year. But, that same House would now cost me approx $805,000 / $49,000 = This now equates to a Multiple of 16.42 Times the after tax salary - So today the Multiple is 16.42 vs 5.59 (back in 1985) to pay for/buy that same House. :cry: :cry: Not a good result by today's standards

So that's is potentially a lot of extra Years of my life to Work, just to achieve/buy the same thing today, which inevitably every person must have and needs for a family life. Plus I also now have to contend with a 10% GST to pay for the everyday expenses. :cry: :cry: something that did not exist back in 1985

The above numbers might be a little bit rubbery, but they are close and but the fact remains:
"The ability to buy your own home (like for like) now in 2019 is less than it was back in 1984, in Adelaide and I dare say even more in Melbourne and Sydney. These days it is simply going to take you a lot longer to acquire your Primary Asset (Your Home).

So people have gone backwards, when it comes to how much money they actually have in their hand to spend versus how much they need. Yes wages may have increased in a Gross sense and minimum wage rates might be good, but your ability to purchase has actually decreased significantly. :-& :-#

I am sure you would see the same increase in multiples if your were to look at your costs associated with, Education of your kids (both at School and University), which is another primary expenditure during ones working life.

So, would I be better off now, in Australia (Adelaide), if I was starting out in life trying to buy a place in Oz - The Answer is NO. This plays a big part in determining your future lifestyle today in Oz :-k :-k :-k

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Essex
udonmap.com

Post by Essex » April 23, 2019, 12:56 pm

Sport wrote:
March 18, 2019, 1:37 pm

The Murray river systems. Imo this could be easily rectified. The Bradfield water scheme. Pump water from the Gulf rivers the western side of the Great Dividing Range during the monsoon season and into Lake Eyre and that will flush out river systems and create an inland permanent water supply for farmers. /quote]

The Bradfield scheme has been so soundly debunked that the only proponents of it are simplistic right wing pollies or wannabees. Measurements of elevation is one very simple examples of how flawed the science was behind it, elevation was measured by a barometer!!! Water flows were never measured, Bradfield made a mountain of assumptions about flows, but these have not been able to be verified by researchers who found predicted flows were overestimated by more than 250%. The costs to implement and run the scheme proved to be unsupportable. The CSIRO is one of the jewels in scientific research in the world, they completely rejected the scheme as totally unworkable

However, the biggest killer was it was supported by Pauline Hanson, the most ignorant blight on Australian politics who has never come up with a single workable strategy on any issue.

http://www.wentworthgroup.org/docs/Can_ ... tralia.pdf
I am independently poor

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » April 23, 2019, 5:38 pm

Oz is no different in house price to anywhere

Where in the world have house prices not gone through the ceiling ??

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » April 23, 2019, 5:43 pm

noosard wrote:
April 23, 2019, 5:38 pm
Oz is no different in house price to anywhere

Where in the world have house prices not gone through the ceiling ??
Somalia \:D/ :D :D

But it is not a question or issue of House prices going up in Australia, yes they do.

The issue is the Difference (the ever widdening gap) between the Percentage Rate of Increase in ones House Price/Cost vs the Percentage Rate of Increase of ones "Real Disposabe Income" after Taxes. (i.e. what he end up with inhis pocket) :-k The Later is not keeping pace with the First

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » April 23, 2019, 5:54 pm

As Ganggajang sang..."We'd watch the lightning crack over canefields Laugh and think, this is Australia"
No it is Thailand now

Last nite

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » April 23, 2019, 6:09 pm

What happened to Australia?

Not sure what the saint wanted

But for my family it was opportunity
First me in the early 80s
Good work, good money, good climate and friendly people
My nieces and nephew made Oz home in the last 20 years same reasons
The kiwis still have there nose out of joint for deportation of undesirables kiwis with no Aussie citizenship
Easy answer become citizens, become desirable

yartims
udonmap.com

Post by yartims » April 24, 2019, 6:55 pm

Bulgaria has falling house prices due to depopulation of the country and its cheap to live there and sexy poontang is plentiful ..but docs are in short supply as most left to work elsewhere ..similar in balkans countries due depopulating to germany .house in bulgaria 10,000 pounds

as for auss seems like building your own house is the only way
but that seems fraught with problems , know this guy in melb who has been fighting with the builder for years and making little progress..court and solicitor costs are getting large
the only good Tory is a lavatory

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”