What happened to Australia ?

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » March 18, 2019, 9:12 am

When i was in oz back in the late sixties it seemed a really nice country to live , with the locals being friendly on the most part . Yes the menfolk were a bit gobby and brash ,but i think thats how it was in those days , very important to prove your manhood .But they seemed balanced , hard working individuals , who knew how to have a good time on the weekends .
So what happened ? Now we have this nutter gunning down innocents , to prove a point . Although it appears the opposite to his intentions are happening in Christchurch .
You have the catholic church scandals , where it appears theyve been raping kids for years , and getting away with it for years .
Weve had the sporting cheats .
You have a man made ecological disaster of the Murrey river basin , that may never recover , akin to what happened to the Oral sea, and the politicians are turning a blind eye .
So , what happened to the once proud nation of Australia . Just curious .

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: What happened to Australia ?

Post by jackspratt » March 18, 2019, 10:02 am

What happened to {insert country of your choice}?

None of the above events are unique to Australia, and neither are the causes. Australia has its fair share of nutters, and venal politicians and clergy. It is a trait it shares with most 1st world countries.

Its treatment of Aborigines and asylum seekers is still disgraceful.

On the other hand, there have been plenty of improvements and achievements since the late 60s.

hairyharry
udonmap.com

Post by hairyharry » March 18, 2019, 10:59 am

Australia went downhill rapidly after 1868, whereas the same decline started in the UK during 1867 IMHO

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » March 18, 2019, 12:14 pm

Jackspratt,
What is wrong with an orderly process to ensure that those seeking refugee status are in fact genuine. I firmly believe the fair minded average Australian supports our country being a safe haven for those in genuine need of refuge as is evidenced by the number who have been settled under refugee status. The sticking point has been those who have deliberately discarded all documentation and then after travelling through a large number of countries with the same religious doctrine who are able to provide safe haven with the intent of forcing themselves on our country and its people with no intent to assimilate and or make themselves available to opportunities to become employable.
As to medical treatment available to those alleged refugees on Manus Island and Nauru not being good enough, none of the bleeding hearts who were demanding the transfer of these people to 1st world medical care in Australia advocated for any Nauruans be offered the same standards of medical care in Australia.
As to our indigenous population, l believe we as a country are doing the best we can to encourage indigenous people improve their respective lot in life. Positive discrimination in regard to employment opportunities springs to mind. The offer of free tertiary education is another area of positive affirmation. The Muirhead Royal Commission in 1990 addressed literacy and numeracy as an area that needed to be improved in correctional facilities. I can speak with authority. That in the past 29years, indigenous prisoners have had endless resources provided to address this issue yet it still remains unsupported. A very good indigenous friend provided the following view. When Jesus walked this earth he said to the aborigines, do not do anything till l come back. In many ways that is still the case irrespective of the improved medical/ health and educational opportunities that exist today. Our government has opened the door to the 21st century, l guess the question that remains unanswered is how many of your supposed I’ll treated indigenous people are prepared to walk towards the door.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » March 18, 2019, 12:27 pm

hairyharry wrote:Australia went downhill rapidly after 1868, whereas the same decline started in the UK during 1867 IMHO
Good one Harry.
Not many will know what happened or stopped happening on that 1868 year.
My ancestors come to Aussie well before that date. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » March 18, 2019, 12:44 pm

Yes, be proud of them. 8)

I had to look the 1868 bit up. The Hougoumont, I presume.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » March 18, 2019, 12:52 pm

https://www.facebook.com/fairdinkumate/ ... 643551381/

Thanks Saint
Others are also wondering what happened to Aussie land and suggesting ways to change.
By the way what was your purpose in being in Australia, and how long was your time. Did you work or just come to tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » March 18, 2019, 1:09 pm

You could do a similar comparison on 99% of the Countries around the World, if you wanted to and be surprised by the results, Selecting a number of incidents in any one Country, arguably to describe a culture whole Nation doesn’t stack up. I see similar arguments on this Forum, with regards to comments or suggestion about defining the people of America or the UK as a whole.

In some ways the values of the people's and or the expectations of those in their respective Countries, have changed over the past 30-40 years, especially since the 1970's. Some say it is for the worse and others it is for the better. But them again they also changed between 1900 and 1950 during WW1 and WW2, as well.

But I would ask which Western or European or even Asia, country has not had
1.A mass murder in the past 40 years
2.A scandal with the Catholic Church
3.Some of their Sports people cheating at Sport
4.An ecological disaster of some sorts either in the country or off its shores

There is no theme above, that is unique to Australia or its People.

No 1 is not unique to Australia by any means. Nor should a mass murder should not be defined by a single event or by the actions of a man with a gun, whether it be 40 or 30 or 20 plus, killed at that one time. I would suggest most other Countries have gone through this in the past, on many more occasions than Australia. Counties such as the UK, Ireland, most of Europe, USA and just about all of Asia, have suffered the same, whether it be by the action of a single individual or the planning of a Government.

There is a reason why he could not do this in Australia, and I would suggest that is because our Homeland Security and Police Force is much stronger than that of NZ and that is not to denigrate NZ Police Force.

Just ask yourself how many people there are out in the Western world, that would contemplate a mass murder for whatever reason they can think off. I think you will find that it is lot more than one.

No 2 is not unique to Australia. The Catholic Church has been doing this since the 11th Century all over the World. Its only really come to light in the past 100 years, when people decided to speak out against and challenge the Church, much of it uncovered over the past 25 years.

Revelation in Ireland surfaced in 1994, with a Royal Commission in 2000, Canada started to openly identify scandals in 1988, Austria in about 1995, New Zealand as far back as 1900, but more recently from 2006 on wards. Boston USA exposed it back in 2002 and some other Countries like Belgium, France, Germany and Australia, just took longer. Australia seems to have started the identification/court process back in 1997, but like all things with Church and State, it took a long time to get these F..ers into a court room.

This is not by any means a problem unique to value of the Australia people as a whole, but it is however another demonstration of Religious Abuse of Power. The individual values of a Countries people cannot be defined by the low morality of the Vatican. If anything, it defines the values of those in Europe.

No 3. Tell me a country in the world where one of their individuals has not crossed the line and cheated in his Sport, specifically in cricket. Just start by naming a few, South Africa, England, India, Pakistan. Then just take a look at the worldly sport of Soccer [-X [-X [-X :-$ Too many examples out there, to even contemplate. =; [-(

No 4. Well this too is all too common these days, but I would suggest there are far more ecological disasters in the World to worry about. Just take the Plastic pollution in the oceans and ask yourself who is responsible for that and where do they come from, a far bigger issue for everyone. Look at which Counties openly dump/push their plastic waste into the Oceans, while the world stays silent against them. Countries, China, Indonesia, Vietnam, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Philippines, Malaysia, Egypt, Nigeria, Brazil and yes Thailand, have a lot to answer for, on this issue and if anything, it also defines the values of the Governments in these Countries and possibly the people who throw that waste away. By the way Australia does nut push its plastic waste into the Ocean with a front end Loader or Tractor. =D> :-#

“We are what we are in Australia as people and we are not the puppets of Politics. Nor are we cloned to think to same way as the rest of the World". :-k \:D/ \:D/

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » March 18, 2019, 1:35 pm

<< “We are what we are in Australia as people and we are not the puppets of Politics. Nor are we cloned to think to same way as the rest of the World >>, maybe i misunderstand your 3 first points but to me they are saying that Australia is the same ( not different ) as the rest of the world, yet you conclude by saying that Australians are not << Nor are we cloned to think to same way as the rest of the World >>. I have no problem with your thinking, your logic, i would greatly appreciate if you could briefly describe what define an Australian... Thanks.

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » March 18, 2019, 1:37 pm

Saint, you asked about 4 things in Oz, I will try and answer them as to what I know or believe.
But first, the greenies, tree huggers and snowflakes, a blight on Oz, they will destroy Australia. Weak politicians.

The gun nutter. This happens all around the world.
The church. Also happens all around the world.
Cheating in sports. Australia is better than that on the whole. The cricketers got their just desserts, paid the penalty
and hopefully never happens again in cricket or other sports and they will play again. Again happens all around the world.

The Murray river systems. Imo this could be easily rectified. The Bradfield water scheme. Pump water from the Gulf rivers the western side of the Great Dividing Range during the monsoon season and into Lake Eyre and that will flush out river systems and create an inland permanent water supply for farmers. In turn the water will flow down the Murray into SA and the Great Australian Bight. Simply put, water from the north of Oz travels to the South of Oz, feeding systems all the water the centre needs. Lake Eyre when full would take up a sixth of Oz land mass and give real opportunity to farmers to feed Oz and other countries. Roughly the piping would be around 4-500klms long for it to start feeding the river systems. Have a look at the Alaskan pipeline, 1200 klms long with a four foot piping system, and they did this about 45yrs ago. Technology has advanced greatly since then and would I consider easy, tough going for a while, but it can be done. However the greenies will jump up and down and block this. The politicians should tell them to go jump and let it happen, it would help Oz significantly esp for farmers.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » March 18, 2019, 2:22 pm

the-monk wrote:
March 18, 2019, 1:35 pm
<< “We are what we are in Australia as people and we are not the puppets of Politics. Nor are we cloned to think to same way as the rest of the World >>, maybe i misunderstand your 3 first points but to me they are saying that Australia is the same ( not different ) as the rest of the world, yet you conclude by saying that Australians are not << Nor are we cloned to think to same way as the rest of the World >>. I have no problem with your thinking, your logic, i would greatly appreciate if you could briefly describe what define an Australian... Thanks.
Not possible to briefly define an Australian, but I will try with the following Pictures. A picture is worth a 1000 Words :lol: :lol:
Australian 1.jpeg
Australian 2.jpg
Australian 3.jpg

Don't think I said or inferred that Australian people are the same as those in the rest of the World. Just said, what sometimes happens in Australia is not unique when compared to what happens around the rest of the World from time to time. There a huge difference :-k

pipoz4444

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » March 18, 2019, 3:06 pm

You missed a photo of Warnie. :lol:

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » March 18, 2019, 3:39 pm

GT93 wrote:
March 18, 2019, 3:06 pm
You missed a photo of Warnie. :lol:
I can't use a photo of him, as a symbol, because he cheated too :lol: :lol:

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » March 18, 2019, 10:11 pm

hairyharry wrote:
March 18, 2019, 10:59 am
Australia went downhill rapidly after 1868, whereas the same decline started in the UK during 1867 IMHO
My relatives weren't on that. :lol: :lol: :D and they didn't go to WA. =;

They were on the earlier trip to Port Adelaide \:D/ One of the guys in the first picture below or maybe the second one :-k :-k

Port Adelaide Footy Club 1.jpg
Port Adelaide Footy Club 2.jpg

pipoz4444

LoongLee
udonmap.com

Post by LoongLee » March 18, 2019, 11:29 pm

To the OP, Saint. I was exposed to military Aussies in the late sixties in VietNam (served with a few), and what I saw as normal men and women during a way too short visit to Sidney (Bondi Beach), so my opinion is narrow, but fondly remembered. I was and remain firmly impressed. I would not hesitate to follow an Aussie nor would I ever question the resolve of Aussies backing me if the "dung hit the revolving blades". And my opinion does not hang upon our political or word views being the same.
ลุงลี

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » March 19, 2019, 2:33 pm

So in closing not much has really happened to Australia old mate. \:D/ Next question please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25t45AwEpXI

Raoul Duke
udonmap.com

Post by Raoul Duke » March 19, 2019, 8:42 pm

Comments on world tragedies if you are a white male in Australia ? now frowned upon
as is no comments on world tragedies...thanks Waleed Aly,comments about sport?...forget it Mister....thanks Hannah
Mouncey...enjoy a laff with Ricky Gervais's new Netflix offering?.....Aboriginal art industry says....I don't think so whitey!
As Ganggajang sang..."We'd watch the lightning crack over canefields Laugh and think, this is Australia"
What Happened indeed.
Not for me sir....no way.Thailand suits me very well Thanks very much.
Voiceover for hire.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » March 20, 2019, 6:32 am

Almost every day something new is added to the list of "inappropriate" and no one seems to know where originated.
However, it is now law and God help you if you even suggest those "words".
Latest one from the Northern Territory was given credit for being "clever" but....wait for it......."inappropriate".

https://ntunofficial.com/products/cu- ... ler-pack

Bit like the old Ford Truck one.......last I heard , someone (again that someone) tried to have it banned when they (there "they" are again) had to follow a vehicle for a few miles on the highway and ( another ***** comment) found it "offensive". Guess they never thought to pull over for a minute or so.

Really, just curious where "they" come from and how come "they" wield so much clout.

Aaand here is the first for today .....https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/afl/bea ... ilsignout

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » March 20, 2019, 12:44 pm

Bloody hell.

Surely life in Oz is now way better for the majority of Australians than what it was decades ago. Aussies are supposed to be full of themselves and cheerful chaps. Have you guys been hanging out too much with ex-pats from other countries? ;)

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » March 20, 2019, 1:07 pm

Yes I guess it depends on who you ask doesn't it GT? A bunch of blokes who no longer live in Australia, for a variety of reasons, are hardly going to give a glowing reference to their ex home.
Before my Mrs came to live in Australia she was working in a sweat shop in Lopburi earning 10b per shirt (the Chinese boss charged her 2b per shirt to use his electricity so 8b) that she sewed the seams onto. Now as a cleaner earning weekend penalty rates she makes $43.00 (900b) an hour on Sundays cleaning hotel rooms in Melbourne. When we moved back to Australia the plan was to stay long enough to save enough money to retire in LOS but now if it wasn't for family she would never go back even for holidays. All about perspective ey? Glass half full or half empty?
So it's still the lucky country if you are from a third world sh1thole, which is I suppose why we are swamped with people wanting to get a piece of the pie and live out the great Australian dream.
Watch Me!!

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”