For crying out loud...

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
Whistler
udonmap.com

Re: For crying out loud...

Post by Whistler » February 17, 2023, 2:41 pm

tamada wrote:
February 17, 2023, 2:37 pm
Whistler wrote:
February 17, 2023, 2:13 pm
I doubt it stat, I am not even competitive in this forum on that score
In the interests of forum factuality, y'all got proof of that?
FB_IMG_1676587193672.jpg

I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 17, 2023, 2:45 pm

Whistler wrote:
February 17, 2023, 12:49 pm
The same study found average length was around 5.1 to 6 inches erect!

Still lots of small ones around and 30 years ago must have been quite a few with lengths in the bee's dick category

Most of them are now currently Senators or Congressmen judging by what is going on over there ...haha

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Re: Concerning

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 17, 2023, 2:53 pm

noosard wrote:
February 17, 2023, 8:41 am
Research published in the World Journal of Men’s Health discovered that the average penis size had grown 24 per cent over nearly three decades.

But while many may think the findings are good news, experts warn it’s actually a “concerning” discovery.

Researchers at Stanford University who conducted the study fear the phallic inflation is due to unhealthy habits, like bingeing junk food or being mostly sedentary, or even pollution, the New York Post reports.
At what point do you predict i will receive this 24% increase in .. seems to be taking a while ?? ...

i did get my sausage blown off saving a school bus going through a mine field in the Falklands conflict and have been struggling on through life with a 10" stump.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » February 17, 2023, 3:06 pm

You saved a bus with your pecker?
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » February 17, 2023, 3:15 pm

Summer in the Falklands is cold and windy but it's easy to get sunburn.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » February 18, 2023, 10:12 am

Ahead of the landmark vote, which has divided both the Church of England as well as the more conservative Anglican Communion, conservative bishops from around the world warned that the Archbishop risked breaking up the international network over same-sex marriage blessings that “rewrite God’s law”.

However, the vote has angered both progressives who claim that it does not go far enough to offer full equality because the church still prohibits same-sex marriages, and conservatives who claim that Holy Matrimony should only be between a man and a woman.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » February 18, 2023, 12:40 pm

Smuggled cigarettes hazardous to health
as if normal ciggies
https://thethaiger.com/news/national/sm ... ssociation

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » February 18, 2023, 2:38 pm

noosard wrote:
February 18, 2023, 12:40 pm
as if normal ciggies
I caught that too! What a stupid thing to say. And these are the same kinds of people who are telling us the Covid vaccines are not harmful! Right!!!!!!!!! They all think we're dumber than dirt.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 18, 2023, 2:52 pm

I take it you guys have not had the "experience" of smoking tabs that have crossed the border from Burma etc?

Whilst all forms of smoking provide risks to your health, a few puffs of these "cheapo smokes" sold at the border will even leave the most addicted smoker coughing and choking.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » February 18, 2023, 3:18 pm

semperfiguy wrote:
February 18, 2023, 2:38 pm
noosard wrote:
February 18, 2023, 12:40 pm
as if normal ciggies
I caught that too! What a stupid thing to say. And these are the same kinds of people who are telling us the Covid vaccines are not harmful! Right!!!!!!!!! They all think we're dumber than dirt.
More Qanon misinformation from this poster, with zero credibility, remember this one? Would be hysterical if it wasn't so unhinged!

Re: Will Trump concede?
Post by semperfiguy » December 20, 2020, 5:27 pm

This is BOMBSHELL! President Trump has got all of his ducks in a row and the Dems will soon be running for the hills!

I BORROWED THE FOLLOWING FROM A FRIEND, PATRIOT BILL

Trump is sitting on a stack of Trump cards that he is just waiting to lay down like a royal flush.
He has court cases still pending that will go to the Supreme Court and thanks to Texas case he now knows how to file them under Article 3, not Article 2, and this will force them to hear the case.
The Director of National Intelligence report is coming shortly.
AG Barr will step down on December 23rd, he can then be subpoenaed as a witness.
Durham is a Special Counsel and can prosecute a case in any state. He is allowing civil, criminal, federal courts to fail to handle the situation properly so he can use military tribunals.
He has the data (all of it) from the NSA, the Kraken supercomputer, the Alice supercomputer, and a couple of others we haven’t heard about yet.
He has the dueling electors from seven states legislatures.
He has Vice President Pence as final arbiter of which ballots to accept.
He has the Insurrection Act. The NDAA, the national emergency, the 14th Amendment, the 2018 Executive Order, the 2017 very first Executive Order, the Patriot Act, the FISA warrants, the Declassification of everything, and the thousands of people who have sworn affidavits.
The QR code scan guy (Pulitzer) who just needs access to some real ballots and he can detect if they are fake by looking for creases and printing items using his scanner technology, he has all the statistical data being analyzed, the videos, emails, phone calls, bank transfer statements showing the coordination of the coup, he has RICO, and he has the crimes against humanity videos.
Wikileaks just dropped a ton and Assange will be pardoned so he can talk about Seth Rich.
Now that the governors and secretaries of states certified and Biden accepted, they committed and knowingly agreed to treason.
Solar Winds was just raided and Dominion is closing up shop.
He has the CIA servers used to change Dominion machines, he will soon have access to the Dominion machines too.
He baited politicians to staying in Washington so they can be inaugurated, oops arrested.
Biden hasn’t accepted any transition money nor has Kamala given up her seat.
The military has infiltrated Antifa and BLM plus he has their financials.
He knows which politicians took Chinese and Soros money.
He put Miller and Watnick in DOD positions.
He just wrote an Executive Order in the military line of succession.
He is defunding the CIA.
He just replaced Kissinger and Allbright on the National Security Advisory Board with his loyalists.
The military has been flying more planes over America.
The Navy just parked huge fleets on both coasts.
The 82nd Airborne is preparing for an operation (same group of Flynn & Donoghue).
Things are falling into place.
He has it all.
He is just laying out the case, building the narrative.
He knows he won and they cheated.
He gave them the chance to fix things.
They chose not to.
Now they all go down.

karonsteve
udonmap.com

Post by karonsteve » February 18, 2023, 3:47 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
February 18, 2023, 2:52 pm
I take it you guys have not had the "experience" of smoking tabs that have crossed the border from Burma etc?

Whilst all forms of smoking provide risks to your health, a few puffs of these "cheapo smokes" sold at the border will even leave the most addicted smoker coughing and choking.
I brought a carton of Marlboro back from Burma. They were so bad that the tuk tuk drivers I gave them to wouldn't smoke them,

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 23, 2023, 8:59 am

I do not have any real data such as logging in readers ratio to posters etc but looking at the posting activity on both UM , US and a few other small Thai based forum sites ... got me thinking has/is the forum model bubble burst/ing as gradually noticing posting is dropping off more and more with only an odd spike or run of posts on a particular thread here n there.

Quite possibly with expats more akin to sourcing info in other ways and general chit chat having covered most topics it only leaves the rather toxic issues such as immigration,politics, war and religion to be debated , even the usually busy sports threads posts are dwindling..logging in now and expect to see only very few additional posts added over hours and hours...unlike years gone bye.

Trying to put together a few reasons why forums in general are so slow in recent months and the possible assumption the forum era has had its day !!

Sponsors are not posting (UM was a big part of our CC Biz)
Most topics / subjects been covered over the years with new threads rarely being started.
Covid was a huge forum thread runner ..now not so.
Restaurant / Hotel reviews very rare and been done to death over the years.
Face book and YT replacing forum activity
The nature of some posting puts others off so they dont bother posting

Todays fora remind me of a couple been together for years who go out for the evening,gaze at each other and barely speak , if one side decides to talk the other contradicts whats said and silence ensues ..

Any thoughts ???? and yes im expecting the usual suspects to comment in their own predictable way.

DM

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » February 23, 2023, 9:42 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
February 23, 2023, 8:59 am
I do not have any real data such as logging in readers ratio to posters etc but looking at the posting activity on both UM , US and a few other small Thai based forum sites ... got me thinking has/is the forum model bubble burst/ing as gradually noticing posting is dropping off more and more with only an odd spike or run of posts on a particular thread here n there.

Quite possibly with expats more akin to sourcing info in other ways and general chit chat having covered most topics it only leaves the rather toxic issues such as immigration,politics, war and religion to be debated , even the usually busy sports threads posts are dwindling..logging in now and expect to see only very few additional posts added over hours and hours...unlike years gone bye.

Trying to put together a few reasons why forums in general are so slow in recent months and the possible assumption the forum era has had its day !!

Sponsors are not posting (UM was a big part of our CC Biz)
Most topics / subjects been covered over the years with new threads rarely being started.
Covid was a huge forum thread runner ..now not so.
Restaurant / Hotel reviews very rare and been done to death over the years.
Face book and YT replacing forum activity
The nature of some posting puts others off so they dont bother posting

Todays fora remind me of a couple been together for years who go out for the evening,gaze at each other and barely speak , if one side decides to talk the other contradicts whats said and silence ensues ..

Any thoughts ???? and yes im expecting the usual suspects to comment in their own predictable way.

DM

DM, you've hit the nail on the head with that remark. In my case, I have been a member of this forum for nearly 13 years, and was very active for the first 10 or so. This forum has been a lifeline for me, and for years it was actually fun and informative to post topics and read comments. However, in the past few years there have been new members come on stream who are extremely argumentative, left-wing, "woke" idealogues who come to Thailand and bring the same tactics that are used in the political arena in the USA to shut down free speech and debate. When all else fails they attack the poster personally, and that totally shuts down further conversation. A good debate is healthy, but when it turns personal and the commentators are doing nothing but hurling insults, that's when it's time to sign off. Admin should never allow this type of behavior on a forum, and consistent violators should be warned and dealt with accordingly. If these people are not admonished, they will be the death of this forum. I have all but stopped posting, and I have little desire to "check-in" in the mornings like I did in previous years. As long as these "bad apples" are allowed free reign on this forum, I will no longer participate, and I'm sure I am not the only one who feels this way. At my age, I don't need the stress of it all. These people know who they are, and I can guarantee you that they will follow up here with their snide remarks; however, don't waste your breath because I will not be coming back here to read the comments.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » February 23, 2023, 10:17 am

There are two schools of thought about free speech. Typically, conservatives tend towards unfettered free speech whereas Progressives believe the should be limits to avoid hate speech and misinformation.

I would point to what happened Jan 6, 2021 and suggest that misinformation was at the heart of that attack on democracy,

There is little doubt that individuals cynically gain benefits from knowingly lying, Alex Jones and Rupert Murdoch being prime examples of this.

I am all for a sensible balance, the difficulty is in where that line is drawn. 100% tolerance on hate speech, misinformation, taking advantage of the gullible, does not in my view contribute to a well functioning community.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » February 23, 2023, 11:24 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:

DM
semperfiguy wrote:
February 23, 2023, 9:42 am
This forum has been a lifeline for me, and for years it was actually fun and informative to post topics and read comments. However, in the past few years there have been new members come on stream who are extremely argumentative, left-wing, "woke" idealogues who come to Thailand and bring the same tactics that are used in the political arena in the USA to shut down free speech and debate. When all else fails they attack the poster personally, and that totally shuts down further conversation. A good debate is healthy, but when it turns personal and the commentators are doing nothing but hurling insults, that's when it's time to sign off.
Whistler wrote:
February 23, 2023, 10:17 am
I am all for a sensible balance, the difficulty is in where that line is drawn. 100% tolerance on hate speech, misinformation, taking advantage of the gullible, does not in my view contribute to a well functioning community.
No question that this is a huge problem trying to manage this forum.

I try to err on the side of open speech, not censoring people. I do draw the line at calling people names beyond a certain degree of incivility. I regard "idiot" and "hypocrite" as acceptable, but "asshole" and worse are over the line. Context also matters, too. I'm a bit more relaxed in the football (soccer for me) threads, for example. There's one poster, whom you all know, who is no longer allowed to post until I see and approve his posts because he seemed to have difficulty posting without insulting people at every opportunity. I often wonder why he continues to post on UM because he seems to hate me so much, but, then again, he was so reviled and attacked on the other major Udon forum that he left there.

As far as left woke, or right wing conspiracy theories, things like that, I really don't see how I could manage that. It would necessarily involve trying to determine that actual, objective truth/facts, and I'm not in a position to do that. Also, it could easily lead to people responding with additional "facts" which I would then have to vet. And generally, I have always believed that ideas should see the light of day, where they will either live or die on their own. Open debate is a good thing, usually pretty effective at sorting the wheat from the chaff.

I'm always open to suggestions and new ideas. How would you all like to see posting restrictions work, what should the rules be? Where should I draw the line?

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 23, 2023, 11:29 am

Whistler wrote:
There are two schools of thought about free speech. Typically, conservatives tend towards unfettered free speech whereas Progressives believe the should be limits to avoid hate speech and misinformation.

I would point to what happened Jan 6, 2021 and suggest that misinformation was at the heart of that attack on democracy,

There is little doubt that individuals cynically gain benefits from knowingly lying, Alex Jones and Rupert Murdoch being prime examples of this.

To all including UM admin etc , im not stirring the pot or slagging anyone or forum off just my opinion as to why forums are seeing a drop off in traffic ..

@ Whizzy no comment on the above fluffy stuff ;) ..but in good old fashioned shooting from the hip Scunny lingo why do you think forums in general are seeing a decrease in activity ? using UM only as an example.

Every media outlet has its day and times change.. pre internet and beyond , newspapers replaced more n more online options nothing lasts forever just evolves or dies out.

DM

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 23, 2023, 11:32 am

Udon Map wrote:
February 23, 2023, 11:24 am
Drunk Monkey wrote:

DM
semperfiguy wrote:
February 23, 2023, 9:42 am
This forum has been a lifeline for me, and for years it was actually fun and informative to post topics and read comments. However, in the past few years there have been new members come on stream who are extremely argumentative, left-wing, "woke" idealogues who come to Thailand and bring the same tactics that are used in the political arena in the USA to shut down free speech and debate. When all else fails they attack the poster personally, and that totally shuts down further conversation. A good debate is healthy, but when it turns personal and the commentators are doing nothing but hurling insults, that's when it's time to sign off.
Whistler wrote:
No question that this is a huge problem trying to manage this forum.

I try to err on the side of open speech, not censoring people. I do draw the line at calling people names beyond a certain degree of incivility. I regard "idiot" and "hypocrite" as acceptable, but "asshole" and worse are over the line. Context also matters, too. I'm a bit more relaxed in the football (soccer for me) threads, for example. There's one poster, whom you all know, who is no longer allowed to post until I see and approve his posts because he seemed to have difficulty posting without insulting people at every opportunity. I often wonder why he continues to post on UM because he seems to hate me so much, but, then again, he was so reviled and attacked on the other major Udon forum that he left there.

As far as left woke, or right wing conspiracy theories, things like that, I really don't see how I could manage that. It would necessarily involve trying to determine that actual, objective truth/facts, and I'm not in a position to do that. Also, it could easily lead to people responding with additional "facts" which I would then have to vet. And generally, I have always believed that ideas should see the light of day, where they will either live or die on their own. Open debate is a good thing, usually pretty effective at sorting the wheat from the chaff.

I'm always open to suggestions and new ideas. How would you all like to see posting restrictions work, what should the rules be? Where should I draw the line?

ReaLLY how illuminating !!

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 23, 2023, 11:52 am

How about this for a suggestion seeing as the OWNER states he is open to suggestions.
Arguments between posters for any reason should NOT be conducted via a Public Forum, rather kept to Privte messages between said members where they can reply or not.
Asking a Poster to reply on a PUBLIC forum could be considered an invasion or privacy.
The big problem is that many6 have disabled their PM status which is pointless as that then leaves no option BUT to use the Forum which upsets some .
I have never disabled my pm status, Admin has but not me . A method put in place for members to connect is allowed to be disabled a rather silly option by placing people on Foe or Friend list would allow you to control your PMs.

A SUGGESTION THAT WILL PROBABLY BE IGNORED BY ADMIN !!

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » February 23, 2023, 12:05 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
February 23, 2023, 11:52 am
Arguments between posters for any reason should NOT be conducted via a Public Forum, rather kept to Privte messages between said members where they can reply or not.
Asking a Poster to reply on a PUBLIC forum could be considered an invasion or privacy.

Not at all. Why would you think that I would ignore your suggestion?

One problem I see is that these types of ad hominem problems/arguments start in the public forum. So restricting someone to replying in private leaves the original attack or name calling unanswered in the public forum. I can't imagine that that would be acceptable to the person who was the subject of the origiinal comment.

The other problem, as you point out, is that some people do not have access to the PM system.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 23, 2023, 12:15 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
February 23, 2023, 11:52 am
How about this for a suggestion seeing as the OWNER states he is open to suggestions.
The big problem is that many6 have disabled their PM status which is pointless as that then leaves no option BUT to use the Forum which upsets some .
I have never disabled my pm status, Admin has but not me . A method put in place for members to connect is allowed to be disabled a rather silly option by placing people on Foe or Friend list would allow you to control your PMs.

Not sure about that working KP .. surely members should be grown up enough to know enough is enough re debate becoming a disagreement then spiraling into a full blown argument.

KP .. why do you think forums in general are seeing a decrease in activity ? using UM only as an example.

i listed a few of my thoughts in the OP ... and IMO every media outlet has its day and times change.. pre internet and beyond , newspapers replaced more n more online options nothing lasts forever just evolves or dies out.

DM

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”