For crying out loud...

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
Whistler
udonmap.com

Re: For crying out loud...

Post by Whistler » February 23, 2023, 12:17 pm

Hi John,

Forums can be useful, their reach actually extends beyond its members as search engines pick up posts too. The most useful forums these days seem to be focus oriented, a good example this morning was after a review meeting with a client looking to resolve an issue they had with their accounting software, the Xero user forum was really of value.

When I first came to udon, this forum was quite useful, still is on 'where is' style subjects.

Now so many posts on trivial subjects, which Hollywood star just shuffled off this mortal coil, loopy posts like copy paste from dubious sources quoted as fact, so many posts not really relevant to day to day life.

I will continue to read, recent reporting on Ukraine thread were smart well informed, quoting sources that previously were unknown to me.

So forum is not dead, just periodically quiet.

I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 23, 2023, 12:31 pm

Whistler wrote:
February 23, 2023, 12:17 pm
Hi John,

Forums can be useful, their reach actually extends beyond its members as search engines pick up posts too. The most useful forums these days seem to be focus oriented, a good example this morning was after a review meeting with a client looking to resolve an issue they had with their accounting software, the Xero user forum was really of value.

When I first came to udon, this forum was quite useful, still is on 'where is' style subjects.

Now so many posts on trivial subjects, which Hollywood star just shuffled off this mortal coil, loopy posts like copy paste from dubious sources quoted as fact, so many posts not really relevant to day to day life.

I will continue to read, recent reporting on Ukraine thread were smart well informed, quoting sources that previously were unknown to me.

So forum is not dead, just periodically quiet.
Agree with that .. i wasnt suggesting the forums are dead just IMO the evolution of other online sources of information , chat and fun has lead to a decrease in forum usage... one example is online forum advertising / sponsorship being greatly reduced as many businesses have jumped to Facebook etc...its free also.

Periodically quiet YES .. but without a major news event etc the periods of quietness seem to be getting longer and more often.

Where as in the past UM and lesser extent US then Talk were great for our CC business andi used the forum numerous times daily ... nowadays forums are just a place to get a bit of quick info , hang out chat n have a bit of a laff...

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » February 23, 2023, 12:56 pm

DM,

We need your mate Donald to stage another coup or sumphin, that will liven things up. Wh0re ships ov the coast, detractors stoned to death, declare war on Canada, spell chekers disabled, balloons everywhere, Qanon installed in the West Wing, Musk to takeover Facebook....

That will work.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » February 23, 2023, 2:21 pm

Udon Map wrote:
February 23, 2023, 11:24 am
I try to err on the side of open speech, not censoring people. I do draw the line at calling people names beyond a certain degree of incivility. I regard "idiot" and "hypocrite" as acceptable, but "asshole" and worse are over the line. Context also matters, too. I'm a bit more relaxed in the football (soccer for me) threads, for example. There's one poster, whom you all know, who is no longer allowed to post until I see and approve his posts because he seemed to have difficulty posting without insulting people at every opportunity. I often wonder why he continues to post on UM because he seems to hate me so much, but, then again, he was so reviled and attacked on the other major Udon forum that he left there.

As far as left woke, or right wing conspiracy theories, things like that, I really don't see how I could manage that. It would necessarily involve trying to determine that actual, objective truth/facts, and I'm not in a position to do that. Also, it could easily lead to people responding with additional "facts" which I would then have to vet. And generally, I have always believed that ideas should see the light of day, where they will either live or die on their own. Open debate is a good thing, usually pretty effective at sorting the wheat from the chaff.

I'm always open to suggestions and new ideas. How would you all like to see posting restrictions work, what should the rules be? Where should I draw the line?[/color]
I would like to see racist terms deleted as soon as possible. As one man noted, racism is a sickness and we should call the person out for their behaviour.

You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » February 23, 2023, 2:28 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
February 23, 2023, 2:21 pm
I would like to see racist terms deleted as soon as possible. As one man noted, racism is a sickness and we should call the person out for their behaviour.
I agree, and eliminate them wherever I find them. If you come across a racist term, please report the post to me by using the triangle button in the post and I'll deal with it.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » February 23, 2023, 4:44 pm

Udon Map wrote:
February 23, 2023, 2:28 pm
Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
February 23, 2023, 2:21 pm
I agree, and eliminate them wherever I find them. If you come across a racist term, please report the post to me by using the triangle button in the post and I'll deal with it.
Thanks.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » February 23, 2023, 10:49 pm

Why is the forum quieter these days? Most of the posters jave been here a decade or more, do not need to seek advice much anymore. The heyday of this forum was about 12-15 years ago, when the expat community was expanding rapidly. Old age, deaths, covid lockdowns/travel issues have shrunk the community.
Forums may be old fashioned but a hell of lot more useful than facebook to get information other than where a restaurant is. Searching internet or youtube is like trawling in the sargasso sea - tons of seaweed has to be sorted through to get one fish.
It is sad to see Thais forever trawling facebook and youtube for mainly trivial stuff.

Is Udon dying as an expat community? I think so, but who knows what the future will bring.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » February 24, 2023, 6:07 am

I dont think Udon expat community is dying
Because of covid I met alot more expats due to only a few places to go
UFES was started for important discussions
The base has moved but the members still join in at different places

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 24, 2023, 8:12 am

No expat community is NOT dying we are all ageing and `often silly reasons stop posts from being posted because someone somewhere objects .
simple questions get hijacked and good questions get sidelined and BECAUSE that seems to be in order and allowed sensible requests and ideas get sqashed by those4 who can with their dictatororial authority

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » February 24, 2023, 8:55 am

rick wrote:
February 23, 2023, 10:49 pm
Why is the forum quieter these days? Most of the posters jave been here a decade or more, do not need to seek advice much anymore. The heyday of this forum was about 12-15 years ago, when the expat community was expanding rapidly. Old age, deaths, covid lockdowns/travel issues have shrunk the community.
Forums may be old fashioned but a hell of lot more useful than facebook to get information other than where a restaurant is. Searching internet or youtube is like trawling in the sargasso sea - tons of seaweed has to be sorted through to get one fish.
It is sad to see Thais forever trawling facebook and youtube for mainly trivial stuff.

Is Udon dying as an expat community? I think so, but who knows what the future will bring.
One of the reasons it is quieter might be due to 5 or 6 members who continue to bicker like children on most posts, turning off the members who come here for info etc.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 24, 2023, 9:32 am

noosard wrote:
February 24, 2023, 6:07 am
I think you will find they are Noos ....immortality hasnt reached Udon yet .
Khun Paul wrote:
February 24, 2023, 8:12 am
No expat community is NOT dying we are all ageing and `often silly reasons stop posts from being posted because someone somewhere objects .
simple questions get hijacked and good questions get sidelined and BECAUSE that seems to be in order and allowed sensible requests and ideas get sqashed by those4 who can with their dictatororial authority
What ideas KP ?? can you confirm.

IMO Um owner/admin have a difficult task policing the forum and do a decent job via delayed posting for some where necessary , pulling posts for reasons they see fit .. if the owner decides on a course of action so be it , it is his business same as a bar owner barring a customer if they are unruly etc.
Stantheman wrote:
February 24, 2023, 8:55 am
rick wrote:
February 23, 2023, 10:49 pm

One of the reasons it is quieter might be due to 5 or 6 members who continue to bicker like children on most posts, turning off the members who come here for info etc.

Agree rick n stan ...

As commented in my earlier post there are numerous reasons why fora in general are quieter .. with reference to bickering is not limited just to UM its prevalent on most other sites.

Sponsors are not posting (UM was a big part of our CC Biz)
Most topics / subjects been covered over the years with new threads rarely being started.
Covid was a huge forum thread runner ..now not so.
Restaurant / Hotel reviews very rare and been done to death over the years.
Face book and YT replacing forum activity
The nature of some posting puts others off so they dont bother posting

Todays fora remind me of a couple been together for years who go out for the evening,gaze at each other and barely speak , if one side decides to talk the other contradicts whats said and silence ensues ..

DM

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » February 24, 2023, 10:08 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
February 24, 2023, 9:32 am
noosard wrote:

DM
Individuals are dying but the community/network are alive
Must admit the monday brekkie group has shrunk in numbers recently

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 24, 2023, 10:48 am

noosard wrote:
February 24, 2023, 10:08 am
Drunk Monkey wrote:
February 24, 2023, 9:32 am
noosard wrote:

DM
Individuals are dying but the community/network are alive
Must admit the monday brekkie group has shrunk in numbers recently
I thunk thats what you meant mate ...

i myself have been off the radar for several weeks as you know .. health issues and strict orders off the doc to not drink at all , as you know im partial to the odd glass of an amber beverage , ..not wishing to sit n watch all the renegades swilling down copious amounts of Chang i decided much easier to stay away from temptation and take up de fleeing dogs ,embroidery and taxidermy .. i miss you guys like a wart on mi helmet :^o :lol: .. say ello to Popeye !!

DM

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » February 24, 2023, 4:49 pm

The zulu is back tomorrow so our numbers are increasing

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » February 24, 2023, 7:19 pm

Don't fire 'til you see the whites of their eyes, young man.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 24, 2023, 7:26 pm

noosard wrote:
February 24, 2023, 4:49 pm
The zulu is back tomorrow so our numbers are increasing
Abandoned in the jungle and raised by monkeys... Lally the albino Zulu .. finally released from Broadmoor and heading to Udon.. great news Noos !!

DM

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » March 3, 2023, 8:51 am

There is a debate raging online about whether it is appropriate for people in heterosexual relationships to use the word “partner” to describe their significant other.

Seems the "rainbow" people want it for their usage only

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 3, 2023, 9:13 am

Ya gotta a link?

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » March 3, 2023, 9:19 am

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 3, 2023, 1:42 pm

noosard wrote:
March 3, 2023, 8:51 am
There is a debate raging online about whether it is appropriate for people in heterosexual relationships to use the word “partner” to describe their significant other.

Seems the "rainbow" people want it for their usage only
Not sure it is a raging debate, but I will talk about it with my partner.

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”