Gun Control

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Re: Gun Control

Post by pf-flyer » October 8, 2017, 4:56 am

[quote="jai yen yen" post_id=496761 time=1507396428 user_id=18443]
I grew up with guns, started hunting when I was 12. When I was a teenager we all drove around with our guns mounted on racks in our pickup trucks, perfectly legal and we did not shoot each other. In fact I don't remember any killings at all with guns. I think it is a society problem more than a gun problem, as well if a nut is determined to kill he or she will find a way. You don't need a gun to do that although it may be easier with access to a firearm. Many people still like to hunt and target shoot, is it fair to stop them from owning guns? Do we want to live in a world where government controls every part of our life, how many die in car and motorcycle accidents taking innocent people with them. Should they banned as well? This an extreme example but you see my point. The criminals will always have guns because they are purchased on the black market. It is terrible when these things happen but it happens everywhere because there are nuts everywhere. I am more concerned about terrorist killings then being shot by a nut case. Terrorist attacks are starting now in Canada, not a lot but it will get worse. This I think is a bigger problem that is not going away either.
[/quote]
I grew up with rifles and shotguns also and during hunting season I kept them in a gun rack in rear window of my pickup. A gun is a tool. It is people who kill people not guns. It is a people problem not a gun problem. If somebody wants to kill you they will find a way to it wither they have access to a gun or not. It is an issue of the heart. You cannot run away or escape from an issue of the heart because the issue goes with you no matter where you go. Its begins with parents teaching their children responsibility and interpersonal skills and how to deal with your anger, disagreements, stress and life's issues. Unfortunately we do not live in that perfect world. Not all of us grew up in a world with a perfect family with both parents. There are no guarantees in life and life is not always fair but that is not a rational to take out your anger and hate onto others.

"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » October 8, 2017, 6:13 am

I doubt he could have inflicted the same number of injuries with a knife, just sayin ....

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » October 8, 2017, 6:31 am

We’re finding in Europe that these lunatics don’t need guns, if they’re serious about what they want to do they will use a bomb, a car, a lorry, a machete, these people will find a way to do what they want to do and with all the bomb ingredients being bunched together nicely by Amazon what could be simpler? Just saying too.
Last edited by vincemunday on October 8, 2017, 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » October 8, 2017, 7:56 am

Aardvark wrote:
October 8, 2017, 6:13 am
I doubt he could have inflicted the same number of injuries with a knife, just sayin ....
A bomb works pretty good if you want a high body count and not hard to make as well. I am also afraid of poison in our water or food. There are so many ways unfortunately, if you take guns away they would another one.

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Las Vegas Shooting

Post by tamada » October 8, 2017, 9:48 am

vlad wrote:
October 7, 2017, 7:58 pm
It is an Addiction Vince you can say all you like about there Gun ownership till your blue in the face you will not change their way of thinking, its taught to them as children. There are enough videos around showing kids at Range's and there proud parents watching them fire guns.They will not accept their culture is wrong. It's obvious you can obtain fully Automatic or buy bump fire stocks openly yet some still deny it's not simple it is. Go on Utube and look at the white supremacists in full combat gear armed to the Teath in clear sight of the plod. Let's be honest if someone wants to burgle your house there coming for valuables there not coming to kill you or the family, and the old excuse im a responsible gun owner mine are kept locked up and secure. So are you going to say to a burgler ? hang on mate till I get my gun from my locked cabinet lol.
Scary, real-life scenario. Stayed at my buddies house one Monday night after watching the football. After the game, we talked and drank a lot of beers until way late. I left him passed-out on the sofa while I went to the upstairs guest bedroom. Maybe 30 or 40 minutes later, I am wakened by him shouting from the foot of the stairs if I am awake and alright. Apparently he had woken up and seeing I had already turned in, went for a glass of water before going to bed. He thought it strange that the cigar humidor was gone from the tall table right behind the sofa where he had been sleeping but thought maybe I had taken it upstairs to do some restocking. When he went into his downstairs master bedroom, the first thing he sees is the empty humidor on the floor, the bedroom and ensuite had been tossed and his Glock is missing from the night stand. We'd been burgled.

His first thought was to run up the stairs and wake me up but despite the beer buzz, he worked out that if the burglar was still in the house and upstairs, he would be trapped... with his gun. So he unlocked and opened the front door at the foot of the stairs and started hollering instead of coming up. If the burglar was still inside and started shooting, he was going to be out the front door so fast. I would have to take care of myself.

The burglars (local kids) had entered through the ensuite bathroom window, tossed the master bedroom and then come out into the lounge and took the humidor which was probably only about 3 foot from his sleeping head. Luckily they were kids and not thugs since despite being now 'armed' with his gun, they went back into the master and escaped out the same window, with the cigars, the Glock and about 2 dozen of my buddy's best silk neckties.

The cops, who came about 1 hour later, suggested it was kids (very small window) and figured since it was the week before Father's Day, the neckties were going to be sold on street corners and the gun was just a bonus. But realizing that armed burglars had been in the house and only a few feet from your sleeping body made for the fastest ever sobering up my mate has ever experienced. I wasn't far behind and I reckon my shakes had bugger all to do with the DT's either.

BTW, he's a careful, trained, licensed concealed-carry gun owner and a lawyer, who puts the gun in the nightstand each night just like thousands of other careful, trained, licensed concealed-carry gun owners.

udonmap.com

Post by 12345 » October 8, 2017, 11:06 am

tamada wrote:
October 8, 2017, 9:48 am
BTW, he's a careful, trained, licensed concealed-carry gun owner and a lawyer, who puts the gun in the nightstand each night just like thousands of other careful, trained, licensed concealed-carry gun owners.
That's a bit of a stretch. 2 reasons, easily accessible to anyone, and not easily accessible if you need right away. So basically, an idiot.

I kept mine under the pillow.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » October 8, 2017, 12:34 pm

Is gun control a political hot potato in Thailand? I know the Thais have significant problems with guns. Perhaps any debate isn't so tribal as in the US.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » October 8, 2017, 12:37 pm

Thai population control.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » October 8, 2017, 12:57 pm

I am an avid gun rights supporter. I'm much more afraid of poison and bombs. As far as gun control it is obvious that laws don't work. Before the brainless politicians make more useless silly laws, they should confer with people who know how guns work. The most dangerous thing about a gun used in massacres is the ammunition capacity. This could be remedied without confiscating assault weapons. The easiest way is to permanently fix the rifles with an attached box magazine, I'm talking about permanent fastening like welding. You can't load five rounds into a fixed magazine in ten seconds. If someone wants to look like Rambo, they can do that with an assault weapon loaded with five or six pounds. No one needs more than five rounds in a rifle. I see nothing in the constitution that would prohibit forcing manufacturers to limit the number of rounds. I would really like to see the government pay for the conversions. California passed a stupid law limiting the size of a clip. That was stupid. Massive clip magazines holding thirty rounds or more are easy to conceal. People are not going to turn them in. A welded box magazine with the hardware that held in the detachable magazine would be removed and it would take a skilled gunsmith to make it back into a detachable magazine. Maybe the best part is that it is very easy to see the difference between a fixed box magazine and a detachable clip. It would be rather foolish to convert a five shot rifle to fully automatic. You can make that conversion to fully automatic while sitting in your armchair at home.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » October 8, 2017, 4:54 pm

my goodness ammunition control ???, what is wrong with all this thinking ...only have 5 bullets to kill ?
my thinking ...if the guy in vegas did not have access to all these guns, would he have killed as many people with a knife?....
the gun shop owner says , it is not the guns that kill people but people kill people , indeed that is why there should be more control about gun sales , in america every(lunatic)one can buy a gun ...hopefully they do not come here?...and do the same ..a little bit same as allowing (no brain yet) children 16 years old drive a car ... :(

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » October 8, 2017, 7:12 pm

Earnest wrote:
October 7, 2017, 11:49 pm
Yes, never felt in fear of being shot in Thailand.

Was never in fear of being shot in the US either.

The PI, however, was a different matter. :shock:
GT93 wrote:
October 8, 2017, 2:38 am
I think if I ever visited the US as a tourist I'd be the same. However if I was a Black American parent with teenagers I'd be quite anxious. I think there would be regular family safety talks.
If you were a Black parent to teenagers in London then you'd probably be having a very similar conversation. Ever heard of Operation Trident, old chum?

Just to clarify, I do visit the US as a tourist but also used to travel across to work on 5 week stints.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » October 8, 2017, 7:25 pm

vlad wrote:
October 7, 2017, 8:29 pm
CI'm fairly safe in the knowledge I can go to a concert and not be worried a Sniper or a madman is targeting me
Earnest wrote:
October 7, 2017, 8:41 pm
Manchester Arena suicide bombing at the Ariana Grande concert in the Summer?

The Eagles of Death Metal concert at the Bataclan in Paris 2015?

Derek Bird in Cumbria 2010?

Dunblane in 1996?

Hungerford in 1987?
Vlad, you've not responded to my post, you bounder.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » October 9, 2017, 1:55 am

Earnest wrote:
October 7, 2017, 8:41 pm
vlad wrote:
October 7, 2017, 8:29 pm
CI'm fairly safe in the knowledge I can go to a concert and not be worried a Sniper or a madman is targeting me
Manchester Arena suicide bombing at the Ariana Grande concert in the Summer?

The Eagles of Death Metal concert at the Bataclan in Paris 2015?

Derek Bird in Cumbria 2010?

Dunblane in 1996?

Hungerford in 1987?
I think there are potentially madmen everywhere who can cause devastation at any public gathering should they wish. They don’t necessarily need guns so stricter controls are irrelevant. You missed off Borough Market in your list as a good example.
I’ve noticed a high armed police presence in our busy local tourist shopping areas over the last year. Anywhere with a high density of people where vehicles are still permitted could be treated as targets for these lunatics. Do I feel safe? Dunno, not really thought about it. Will it stop me going to these places? Absolutely not
May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 9, 2017, 8:56 am

12345 wrote:
October 8, 2017, 11:06 am
tamada wrote:
October 8, 2017, 9:48 am
That's a bit of a stretch. 2 reasons, easily accessible to anyone, and not easily accessible if you need right away. So basically, an idiot.

I kept mine under the pillow.
Call him what you will but apart from you, how many other gun-toting 'idiots' after a football game and beers, leave their gun safely in the nightstand (or even under the pillow of their bed) while they crash out on the sofa in the safety of their own home?

Here's another question for you, how many 'idiots' got shot in the back by their own kids who, while sitting in the seat behind mommy, managed to get a gun that was left within reach?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... /21062089/
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.2667804

Bugger me, one of these 'idiots' is another, trained, NRA card-carrying gun advocate!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/florida-mo ... ing-truck/

In the same vein as some people need to be more careful about who they brand as an idiot, the NRA needs to really work on the bit where it claims that it aims "to promote responsible gun ownership and gun safety."

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » October 9, 2017, 12:12 pm

22228232_2015202258700031_2091198487833584608_n.jpg

tamarlane
udonmap.com

Post by tamarlane » October 11, 2017, 2:42 am

just a satirical clip from civilization...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-o9pwWUzz0

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 11, 2017, 7:23 am

tamarlane wrote:
October 11, 2017, 2:42 am
just a satirical clip from civilization...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-o9pwWUzz0
Satirical post of the day award goes to...
A Constitutional disorder caused by a dysfunction of the pre-frontal Second Amendment in the nonsensical cortex causing patients to shoot people.
I'm wounded, I need thoughts and prayers!
This happens automatically... or semi-automatically.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 11, 2017, 8:14 am

Despite years of similar gun outrages, albeit with lower body counts, much is being made of the investigatory authorities inability to find any precursor or motive for the Vegas shooters rampage. However, Fox News who typically lead the charge in finger-pointing and name-blaming is groping for any sort of narrative despite Sean Hannity's best but totally cringe-worthy efforts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV5fXPVeZoQ

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » October 11, 2017, 5:50 pm

MMM Someones not on the ball did I not say in my first post on this Thread " How does Someone" manage to smuggle that amount of guns into a Hotel?

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » October 11, 2017, 7:34 pm

vlad wrote:
October 11, 2017, 5:50 pm
MMM Someones not on the ball did I not say in my first post on this Thread " How does Someone" manage to smuggle that amount of guns into a Hotel?
As has been mentioned previously, no mystery. When was the last time hotel staff asked you what was in your luggage?

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”