any advices on how to reduce the urges of smoking?

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
Faraday
udonmap.com

Re: any advices on how to reduce the urges of smoking?

Post by Faraday » September 7, 2018, 8:58 pm

Really want to get some Champix as it is time to stop the ciggies after 30+ years.

Can I get them from Somboon for example, or will I need a prescription - if I do need the an Rx, where do I obtain one from?

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » September 7, 2018, 9:45 pm

I obtained tablets called NICABATE from an Aussie lad I was working with in North Vietnam. These were quite expensive but really helped. Also stayed away from anywhere that was going to expose you to others second hand smoke. Worked for me after 2 weeks and thats been 2 years now without a 40+ a day habit. There is also chewing gum available in most Thai Pharmacies which is very cheap and recommended by a few of my converted buddies. Good Luck.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 8, 2018, 1:29 am

a few ideas
dont start in the first place
drink so much beer you pass out so stop smoking .. this may help but not proven by doctors YET
dont send your Thai missus out to 7 to buy cigs
dont watch major sporting events that sponsor smoking .. all the good ones !!
have all the cigarette company owners ass assasinated then move down the chain as far as the local mom n pop shop .
Watch Scunthorpe Utd .. suicide by other means is quicker and more fun.
Dont buy a lighter or matches .
JUST SAY No Grange Hill style

goodnight
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » September 8, 2018, 6:29 am

Faraday wrote:
September 7, 2018, 8:58 pm
Really want to get some Champix as it is time to stop the ciggies after 30+ years.

Can I get them from Somboon for example, or will I need a prescription - if I do need the an Rx, where do I obtain one from?
Mr Faraday , i'm not being sarcastic , But your "really want to get some Champix ,( at first i thought it said the things that women use ,my eyesight aint that good ) belies the need for something to replace the craving , i for years tried various substitutes , all failing ,due to my environment , pub, beer in hand etc ,also setting targets 1week ,2 weeks didn't work as i'd reach the target ,yeah "easy target done" light a fag , i found there is a switch in your heed ya just have to find it , :D :D , some 30 months ago i believe i found it , no substitutes , no setting goals ( therefore no pressure ) it has stood the test of time so far ,i never said anything to anyone, after awhile they started to notice, some weeks after i stopped , Good luck i hope you find YOUR switch =D> =D>

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 8, 2018, 9:19 am

Hoopoe wrote:
September 8, 2018, 6:29 am
Faraday wrote:
September 7, 2018, 8:58 pm

Mr Faraday , i'm not being sarcastic , But your "really want to get some Champix ,( at first i thought it said the things that women use ,my eyesight aint that good ) belies the need for something to replace the craving , i for years tried various substitutes , all failing ,due to my environment , pub, beer in hand etc ,also setting targets 1week ,2 weeks didn't work as i'd reach the target ,yeah "easy target done" light a fag , i found there is a switch in your heed ya just have to find it , :D :D , some 30 months ago i believe i found it , no substitutes , no setting goals ( therefore no pressure ) it has stood the test of time so far ,i never said anything to anyone, after awhile they started to notice, some weeks after i stopped , Good luck i hope you find YOUR switch =D> =D>
For hard-core nicotine addiction, simple substitution doesn't work. It needs to be accompanied by some other habit-changing activity like a new hobby, new job, new wife, new home, etc.. Simply taking a substitute while re-immersing oneself in the same social activities that encourage smoking is a glowing example of failure to try hard enough... going to the pub, having a beer, talking footie with DM, or arguing the finer points of Trump's inadequacies with Lone Star and Bam!... where the hell did that bloody ciggy come from!? Remove the triggers and it will be easier but one does have to have the 100% motivation to go along with it.

My first couple of cold turkey attempts to stop smoking were reasonable successes but ultimate failures. The first was when finishing my first ever oil patch contract in Saudi and I decided to quit smoking at the same time. That was good for about 6 months as I discovered Thailand, chased down work in Singapore, Australia. etc.. Then, back at work in Australia on a very stressful 8-week job start-up, our field support guy had flown in from Houston and arriving on site at midnight with the regulation Samsonite briefcase, he popped the lid to reveal his 'toolkit', a couple of cartons of Camel. These happened to be my favorite smokes when I was playing in the band, just after getting kicked out of Peterhead Academy for getting caught smoking Camel's with Irene Clark and Dianne Cameron while wearing a Harris tweed jacket in the 5th year girls locker room. They were really a.n.a.l about the school uniform thing. Anyway, I cadged a smoke and Bam!... I was hooked again.

This second nicotine joust was heavier than the first where my 1 packet every 2 days morphed into easily 2 packets a day. Once again a change of work location was my chosen trigger and I quit again quite easily. About 8 months down the road, new employer and I head for start up support in West Africa and meet a guy I had worked with several years earlier when I smoked. Having a quiet yarn with old mates on the dockside, he pulled out his Gitane's and unusual for a Frenchman, proffered them to the circle. Without thinking, I took one, lit it and inhaled the unique, strong-tasting, flavor-rich smoke and Bam!... where did this bloody ciggy come from?!

Now fast-forward another 5 years or so and I am maybe not quite 60/day but the third packet will have been opened before bed time. Not very healthy at all. I find myself in Cuba and the nature of my supervisory work where 90% of the time is like watching the paint dry so when bored, I smoke. Then the 10% clusterf*cks happen and under stress, I smoke a lot more. Totally shagged. Then I meet the stunningly beautiful, barely 18 year-old camp site laundry girl Yahima Gandol Gonzales who choses to share my bed a night... as they do. She gets up around 5 AM to fire up the stoves in the galley and fix my morning coffee. She brings it to the bedside where I roll over and light up my first 'gasper' of the day. As I am hacking my lungs out, she quietly kneels with great big tears balling on her long dark eyelashes. "¿Qué pasa?" I ask.

In halting English she says, "If you die, I will be all alone in the world."

I reach past her and stub that last ever cigarette out in the ashtray. Sorted cold turkey for around 25 years already.

Yahima stayed in Cuba after I left but she's in Miami now with her sister Ingrid. If anyone needs a hook up, PM me.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » September 8, 2018, 10:11 am

Champix is good , packed in 18 months ago . the side effect was 10 mins of nausea after you take the pill. took the required dose every day for 17 days , then I suddenly forgot I was a smoker, went to the shop forgot to buy ciggies , had lunch and realized I had zero cravings ,zero. up to that point I had just carried on with my 20 a day.
so after the craving was gone it became changing habits, drinking is a big issue and the time you might relapse.
I have smoked one ciggy while I was drinking , but that was it as I cursed myself for doing so.
the advice I give about it is , if you really want to stop , it don't matter if it's cold turkey, patches, gum or champix. always remind your self you are giving up , even if you fail ,try again and again and again. if you just give in your not really trying . I don't know about other people that used champix to stop, but even after being off the tablets I find 99% of my cravings are gone. but I am looking forward to a small cigar with a glass of brandy for Christmas, not for the the cigar , just the flavor of brandy and a cigar :lol:
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

yartims
udonmap.com

Post by yartims » September 8, 2018, 7:22 pm

a lung function test regularly will show some decline and point you the way to go hopefully.. see your results on screen
the only good Tory is a lavatory

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » September 8, 2018, 8:09 pm

I smoke an ecig not saying they are good for u but much better than smoking, 3 years now no chest infection which was a twice a year occurrence. Upside I enjoy my fag downside probably still hooked each to their own

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”