Ex-pats, do you speak Thai?

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
petemcc
udonmap.com

Re: Ex-pats, do you speak Thai?

Post by petemcc » August 25, 2010, 5:45 pm

So sick of getting hurt
Hi allIm a 31 year old T Girl. By that i mean im 100% female but i wasnt born it. thats all im going to say on that subject so no questions because u wont get an answer (and ur message will just g
Scunthorpe England

http://www.plentyoffish.com/personals/2 ... ating5.htm

About sums it up!

Eazy-Going
udonmap.com

Post by Eazy-Going » August 25, 2010, 5:53 pm

I saw a relatively attractive girl in Scunny once, (all her own teeth and tattoos spelled correctly), turned out she was actually from Leeds though and was living in Scunny, (out of her own choice), with her boyfriend.

petemcc
udonmap.com

Post by petemcc » August 25, 2010, 5:58 pm

Eazy-Going wrote:I saw a relatively attractive girl in Scunny once, (all her own teeth and tattoos spelled correctly), turned out she was actually from Leeds though and was living in Scunny, (out of her own choice), with her boyfriend.
I think you'll find that was a dream.

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » August 25, 2010, 5:59 pm

pienmash wrote:...you havent lived , until youve been strapped to the bed by fat Denisse the bar maid at the Jolly sailer in Gunness
Stop it right now Jon! You're getting me all aroused again, first with the bread puddin', and now with visions of fat Dennise. :lol:

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » August 25, 2010, 6:04 pm

Sorry jingjai , Dennisse was my 4th English wife - what a cracker as well , Bob was my 3rd , my parroll officer 2nd and a ginger bird who was on the jury was the 1st missus , i ran off to Thailand to get away from al the popularity i caused.

now its just me and my gran and her crochtless panties !!

petemcc
udonmap.com

Post by petemcc » August 25, 2010, 6:07 pm

Does your gran speak Thai?

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » August 25, 2010, 6:13 pm

I guess a proper post would be to ask is Dennisse speaks Thai and how well it has improved her social life in Scunthorpe?

petemcc
udonmap.com

Post by petemcc » August 25, 2010, 6:32 pm

nkstan wrote:I guess a proper post would be to ask is Dennisse speaks Thai and how well it has improved her social life in Scunthorpe?
You obviously don't know Scunny. Nobody there actually speaks any kind of recognisable language and there is no such thing as a social life there.

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » August 25, 2010, 6:36 pm

petemcc wrote:Does your gran speak Thai?
My grans Thai is excellent - welllllcome inside sit down pleess sexy man , where come from ????????? pisses me off when she does it outside the shop tho.!
As for Denisse she moved from Scunny to Florida - last i heard shed just got divorced from some darkie golfer called Tiler Floods or something .

Got to go grans just got mi sleepers out of the microwave and its bread pudding time !!

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » August 25, 2010, 6:49 pm

petemcc wrote:
nkstan wrote:I guess a proper post would be to ask is Dennisse speaks Thai and how well it has improved her social life in Scunthorpe?
You obviously don't know Scunny. Nobody there actually speaks any kind of recognisable language and there is no such thing as a social life there.
My daughter is still imprisoned in Scunny she has a great social life , well being employed by the Licolnshire social services department she bound to have some fun !! spends most of her time councilling former police officers with communication difficutlies - PETE I,LL GIVE HER YOUR CONTACT DETAILS !!!

petemcc
udonmap.com

Post by petemcc » August 25, 2010, 7:01 pm

pienmash wrote:
petemcc wrote:
My daughter is still imprisoned in Scunny she has a great social life , well being employed by the Licolnshire social services department she bound to have some fun !! spends most of her time councilling former police officers with communication difficutlies - PETE I,LL GIVE HER YOUR CONTACT DETAILS !!!
Belfast born and bred, 11 years as a copper in Manchester, I hope she has a strong stomach because I am one ****** up unit.

Mod note:
Please keep your language reasonable Pete. This is not an adults only Forum.

petemcc
udonmap.com

Post by petemcc » August 25, 2010, 7:05 pm

addn: just realised, 18 years of bombings and shootings, 11 years of petrol bombs and scaffold poles, plus dismembered bodies, nah, I reckon school kids in Scunny are more ******** up than I am.

****Mod Note - Any more F language and your posts will be removed****

Dokya
udonmap.com

Post by Dokya » August 25, 2010, 8:49 pm

Getting the post back on topic with ref to your initial question, I consider myself to be quite an adept linguist in that I can speak German to a very advanced, some, (Germans), would say fluent level, French conversational although a bit rusty as not had to use it for some years and also a little bit of Italian - enough to get by in my work environment back in the UK. However I really am finding getting to grips with Thai/Issan quite difficult, I think it is because it is so tonal and they do not use the Greek alphabet, so in addition the Thai 'alphabet' also has to be learned. I am trying though and try to use the words I have picked up whenever I can.

I also made the promise of having structured Thai lessons before moving here, it's been 8 months now and apart from my initial enquiry at the school regarding lessons I have yet to do anything about it, I guess apathy has taken over but I still want to learn and I really must do something about it.

My ignorance of the Thai language at times is one of my major frustrations in living Thailand and could be, with a lot of effort on my behalf, quite easily remedied. Note to self....must try harder!!!

DermotC
udonmap.com

Post by DermotC » August 25, 2010, 8:52 pm

Back to Topic,

I will be learning Thai when i move. I can speak a little already and want to have conversational thai within 1 year after the move. I think if your at retirement age of say 55 to 70 then its up to you weather you bother or not. If your 50 or below i would think its your responsibility to learn the language. For me I just want a broader understanding of the language which in turn will give me a broader understanding of the people.

On another note, When i do speak Thai I cant wait for my first trip to Pattaya to see what they are actually saying about me! ahhahaah

DermotC
udonmap.com

Post by DermotC » August 25, 2010, 9:24 pm

Ive done Pattaya alot, too much also Pete! I think Ive been there about 12 or 13 times. That was of course before I discovered Udon and the different way of life up there! Having said that Pattaya can be fun especially for a holiday once a year if your coming from Europe or the states etc. I can only do about 3 or 4 days there now Pete. Im usually burned out after that!

I dont know weather its the Irish in me or not but i just think its my responsibility to learn if Im going to live there1

petemcc
udonmap.com

Post by petemcc » August 25, 2010, 9:33 pm

DermotC wrote:Ive done Pattaya alot, too much also Pete! I think Ive been there about 12 or 13 times. That was of course before I discovered Udon and the different way of life up there! Having said that Pattaya can be fun especially for a holiday once a year if your coming from Europe or the states etc. I can only do about 3 or 4 days there now Pete. Im usually burned out after that!

I dont know weather its the Irish in me or not but i just think its my responsibility to learn if Im going to live there1
Must be mate, nobody else seems to care.

thrilled
udonmap.com

Post by thrilled » August 26, 2010, 3:44 am

I believe learning to speak thai is hard.I know about 100 words and thats about it.I'm thinking about going to school in bangkok or udon.I'm trying to make up my mind.

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » August 26, 2010, 8:30 am

petemcc wrote:
DermotC wrote:Ive done Pattaya alot, too much also Pete! I think Ive been there about 12 or 13 times. That was of course before I discovered Udon and the different way of life up there! Having said that Pattaya can be fun especially for a holiday once a year if your coming from Europe or the states etc. I can only do about 3 or 4 days there now Pete. Im usually burned out after that!

Must be mate, nobody else seems to care.
Maybe you will be different,but many of us find very little need to have conversations of length with Thais after being here for awhile.Some choose to assimilate,join the culture,religion etc.,for them learning relative fluent Thai speech,being able to read and write Thai,would be and is a great help!

Either groups path doesn't make the other wrong,just different.I think those that show outward disdain towards Thai and their instituitions,to Thais,are wrong.To express yourself to falangs and true friends is not,unless you are putting them in a ''losing face''position!

I break the Thai laws occassionally and knowingly,especially anonymous ''money stops'',but I try to never show disrepect to Thai individuals whether I really feel it or not!Afterall I realize my money is a welcome ''guest'' and it is their country!

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » August 26, 2010, 3:35 pm

DermotC wrote: I will be learning Thai when i move. I can speak a little already and want to have conversational thai within 1 year after the move...
At 39 Dermot, you probably will be successful. You will be able to hear, understand, and speak, the subtle different tones of certain words in the Thai language much easier than say for example, someone 20 years your senior. IMO.

DermotC
udonmap.com

Post by DermotC » August 26, 2010, 8:41 pm

Cheers Jingjai,

I did pick up some thai along the way and when i spoke it to my girlfriend she went nuts. She told me it wasnt 'Formal' Thai and to forget most of what Id learnt already. Then she asked me where I'd learnt it. I told her the truth, bar girls! Then i explained I didnt know any better when i came the first few times to Thailand. She was ok with that.

Id like to learn as Id like to converse with her mother and father in thai and their respective families. They are such nice people and I think it would be a nice thing to do. Most of the time they do speak issan but they can all speak thai9 and the tgf told me its would be more beneficial to lear thai for obvious reasons. I can get by in about 2 other languages besides English but I know its alot different becasue its not a european language derived from Latin

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”