Cost of small car tyres

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
bluejets
udonmap.com

Cost of small car tyres

Post by bluejets » May 9, 2021, 8:28 am

What would be the average cost of a set of reasonable quality new tyres for a small sedan in Thailand.
Getting some conflicting answers on what I would consider to be "normal".
In Aus for example I can get a set of 4 tyres for the Hyundai Elantra fitted and balanced for around AU$450.00 so approx. 10,000 baht.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Re: Cost of small car tyres

Post by Khun Paul » May 9, 2021, 8:35 am

The cost will vary depending on which Tyre shop you prefer, many use Tyreplus on the Sakon nahkon Road, others use the numerous Maxxis shops, whose price vary from shop to shop. The choice is varied as are the prices

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 9, 2021, 8:52 am

I recently priced tyres in Ban Dung for a Honda City.

Fitted and balanced, 4 x Maxxis were THB1600 each, and Goodyear were THB1800 each.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » May 9, 2021, 10:44 am

jackspratt wrote:
May 9, 2021, 8:52 am
I recently priced tyres in Ban Dung for a Honda City.

Fitted and balanced, 4 x Maxxis were THB1600 each, and Goodyear were THB1800 each.
I read a review of Goodyear v maxxis. Goodyear was better at stopping in wet conditions but maxxis has stronger side walls. The gist of it was the reviewer said that if you drive on good smooth roads then Goodyear are better , but maxxis are more durable when dealing with poor pot holed roads. I purchased maxxis near the roundabout when the kings statue is . 1500b each, wheel balancing and tracking thrown in too.
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » May 9, 2021, 10:50 am

A couple of years ago paid 6500 for 4 Dunlops on a Nissan march

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 9, 2021, 11:22 am

I have two cars and two pickup trucks. Over the years here and many different brands of tires, I think Bridgestone tires wear the best. That may sound good but it's not really a good thing. As they age they get harder and tend to lose traction easier. I replaced the Bridgestone on the Nissan pickup with Dunlaps. Maybe it's just in my mind but the Nissan drove like a new truck. My wife's first car came with OEM Good Years. After a few years one Good Year got a bulge in the sidewall. I was in Pattaya at the time and ended up buying a pair of Deestone. I couldn't tell any difference as far as driving. I never buy just one tire, always in a pair or a set. I ruined one of the other Goodyear tires when It had a puncture and I drove too far to a garage. I replaced that set with Maxxis. Again, I could see no difference in the way the car handled. The Isuzu pickup still has the original Bridgestone tires that look like new after 40,000 kilometers. The wife's new car came with OEM Good Years. The bottom line is that I have doubts that there is much difference in tire quality regardless of brand or price. One Good Year failed and that's the only tire failure I have had. I do have one spare pair of new Maxxis for the Nissan pickup but it gets driven very little and the old tires are still OK.

Some people have brand loyalty but I do not. When I bought the Isuzu, I looked at all the different brands. I had pretty much decided on a Toyota but the dealership treated me like a tire kicker and offered very little discount. Ford treated me the same way. I didn't like the way Mitsubishi looked. The Mazda dealer was very accommodating as was the Isuzu dealer. Neither had in stock what I wanted. I had to order a 4X4 manual transmission with the suicide doors, meaning I wanted the small back seat but didn't want a full back seat four door. The Isuzu dealer promised delivery within two weeks and that's what I ordered. As a side note, One Isuzu dealer was 15,000 baht cheaper for ordering the identical truck.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » May 9, 2021, 3:45 pm

Ok...generally use Toyo here but just after some idea. Thanks.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 9, 2021, 6:02 pm

glalt wrote:
May 9, 2021, 11:22 am
The bottom line is that I have doubts that there is much difference in tire quality regardless of brand or price.
There are significant differences depending on the cost, assuming you are buying from the same shop. Between different brands there are fewer (or smaller) differences.

You will not be able to notice few differences in regular driving, apart from road noise. The big differences come in stopping distance and control at the borders of performance. Also the higher performance tyres will have a shorter lifespan so higher cost per km.
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on May 10, 2021, 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 9, 2021, 7:32 pm

A tip.

I got last set of tyres from the Bridestone guy near UD Town, next to the hospital. Good price, nice guy, good English. Four weeks later I wanted to put in new front disk pads. There was no way either myself or any of my young neighbours, strong lads, could we remove the wheel nuts. Rattle gun overtightened like crazy. I took it to a wheel shop nearby and after a lot of effort they loosened the nuts, I then hand tightened.

So when you get new tyres, make sure they don't do the same thing
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » May 9, 2021, 9:37 pm

I used to go to AUTOBOY just before the PTT Service Station on Mittraphap Rd, about 700m from the Ring Road intersection, heading out of Town. Found then to be very reasonably price.

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » May 10, 2021, 6:30 am

Whistler wrote:
May 9, 2021, 7:32 pm
A tip.

I got last set of tyres from the Bridestone guy near UD Town, next to the hospital. Good price, nice guy, good English. Four weeks later I wanted to put in new front disk pads. There was no way either myself or any of my young neighbours, strong lads, could we remove the wheel nuts. Rattle gun overtightened like crazy. I took it to a wheel shop nearby and after a lot of effort they loosened the nuts, I then hand tightened.

So when you get new tyres, make sure they don't do the same thing
Think I'd be looking to replace the studs and nuts in that instance.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » May 10, 2021, 6:49 am

sometimewoodworker wrote:
May 9, 2021, 6:02 pm
glalt wrote:
May 9, 2021, 11:22 am
The bottom line is that I have doubts that there is much difference in tire quality regardless of brand or price.
There are significant differences depending on the cost, assuming you are buying from the same shop. Between different brands there are fewer (or smaller) differences.

You will not be able to notice few differences in regular driving, apart from road noise. The big differences come in stopping distance and control at the borders of performance. Also the higher performance tyres will have a shorter lifespan so higher cost per km.
The high performance tyres are made with a softer compound , so will not last as long .
I had a high performance car in the U k years ago that literally ate a set of Bridgestone potenza tyres every year , and i didnt do a lot of mileage in that car . Expensive at around 100 pounds a pop , but great fun while they lasted .

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » May 10, 2021, 7:53 am

bought last year august ,maxxis mecotra 3 ,185/65/R14 86H , 5.000 baht ,4 tires ,all balanced and wheel alignment included ;)

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » May 11, 2021, 5:32 am

Tyre life has a lot to do with driving technique.
RACQ , burnouts or similar at takeoff and abrupt stopping all contribute to excessive wear.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 11, 2021, 11:04 am

bluejets wrote:
May 11, 2021, 5:32 am
RACQ , burnouts or similar at takeoff and abrupt stopping all contribute to excessive wear.
Along with correct tyre pressures (probably the most important), wheel balancing and alignment.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 11, 2021, 11:36 am

Anyone buying new tires that appear to be a lot cheaper or a real bargain need to be aware of checking the year of tire manufacture. This is embossed on the tire wall in a 4-digit format where the first two digits represent the week of manufacture and the last two digits represent the year of manufacture. Per the following example, "2517" would be a tire manufactured around mid-year 2017.
dotdate.jpg
Tire rubber grows hard and brittle with age even in storage. Although some manufacturers will suggest a 6-year shelf-life, as a rough guide in the hotter climate and sh*t roads of Thailand, I reckon 4 years is a reasonable maximum based on my mileage and usage. However, if someone only uses their Honda rollerskate to tootle to and from Tesco twice a week, they could probably max out that age guideline.

YMMV
TiT
Up2U

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » May 11, 2021, 2:32 pm

May 11, 2021, 11:04 am
bluejets wrote:
Along with correct tyre pressures (probably the most important), wheel balancing and alignment.
Bingo . How many of us check our tyre pressures on a weekly basis ?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 11, 2021, 4:37 pm

saint wrote:
May 11, 2021, 2:32 pm
May 11, 2021, 11:04 am
bluejets wrote:
Bingo . How many of us check our tyre pressures on a weekly basis ?
I don't but I do give a visual inspection of all four before opening the gate and heading off. With the rubbish on these roads and slow punctures being frequent, that daily check in itself gives one a visual reference as to a tire getting a bit soft rather than someone telling you after parking up at Central or blaming the steering pull on the grooves in the melted pavement here.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 11, 2021, 6:54 pm

A visual inspection will not give much information about tyre pressure, other than a huge drop of 30%~40% under or more.

If your pressure is supposed to be 33psi but one is actually 30 psi the other on the same axle is 28 you are extremely unlikely to notice that with a visual inspection. The danger of that condition is that under pressure at normal speed makes the tyres hotter reduces control in an emergency situation, makes braking less efficient, increases tyre wear, reduces fuel efficiency etc.

Slightly higher than recommended pressure has virtually no bad effects apart from comfort.

I have found that the same real world speed (checked using a GPS Speedometer) at 90kph when the tyre pressure is correct requires a cruse control throttle setting of 92kph when the tyre pressure is low will require a cruse control throttle setting of 93kph.
I should not have been able to find this out but I was lazy and didn’t follow my own advice.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » May 11, 2021, 7:00 pm

These days it's difficult to tell by visual.
Found a leak in the right rear of the Hyundai yesterday, pressure had dropped from 220kpa down to 140 and looked and drove without any indication.
Admittedly around town driving.
High pressures will scrub the tyre centre.

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”