Any 7th RRFS Ramasun Station alumnae on the forum??

Monthly meetings, organizations, important dates to remember etc.
jsteel

Post by jsteel » May 11, 2011, 4:14 am

Hi gang. I was stationed at the 7th RRFS in 1970-71. My mos was translator/interpreter and I was in a rock group called FOUL PIE. I remember the large wat, 5 Sisters restaurant, massages, jewelers, tilocs, artesian crappers and the town fairs featuring monkey ball soup. Anyone there during my time?

fuzzykjun

Post by fuzzykjun » June 9, 2011, 9:15 am

hello asa. i was there from74-75,,,,john fuselier, 31j teletype repair. I would like to talk to anyone who married a thai and visits the noung song area. i am still looking for my t-loc who had my child. i would like info and maybe to send information to the locals who could pass the info and pictures around,, maybe someone would remembeer or the info would get to her. i know she left after i did and never remarried. her ville was up east of chiang mai! any help would be super appreciated!!

fuzzykjun

Post by fuzzykjun » June 9, 2011, 9:59 am

if you can't find the email to fuzzykjun its [email protected] thanks,,,,

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » June 9, 2011, 10:36 pm

Fuzzykjun.. in tracking down a thai you'd need her full real Thai name (no nicknames) and hopefully the name of the village near Chiang Mai she came from.. Now, in saying she came from Chiang Mai, are you sure she came from Northwestern Thailand "Chiang Mai" or possibly she came from Sri Chiang Mai located in Nong Khai Province about 100km from Udon by road and on the Mekong River..?? I never saw too many non-Issan around Udon/Non Soong back then..

fuzzykjun

Post by fuzzykjun » June 11, 2011, 7:25 am

now you got me confused~! haha I thought I had something going. we went to her homeonce in a hired cab, we drove all day,, stopped at a river were they jumped in then at a big lake they said was a chiang mai tourist site but it was winter and out of season,, we drove more and spend the night at her familys village,, this was north and east of udorn,,when we left we went another girls house and spent the night and I think we came back along hywy 22,,, its been 35 years.. I am hoping to find someone in Non sung,, the town across from the 7th,, hopefully by email,,that I could send pictures too. anyone who was these at the time knew me well,, I had made myslef well liked among the whole area.. even if one of the bar girls from that time saw the pictures she would know me and Penn,,,,the someone I would hopefully get in contact with might be able to post in newspapers and such,,, penn might even have come back to the area as she had nothing going in her jungle village and a baby to take care of....anyway thanks for the feed bacck

fuzzykjun

Post by fuzzykjun » June 11, 2011, 7:28 am

she came from north eastern thailand,,, we had to cross into either cambodia or laos by bribing the guards on both sides of a bridge and then again when we left that country... kinda scary since ASA guys were prime meat for the Commies! just looking for a way to post pics in newspapers or online,,,,,

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » June 11, 2011, 11:35 am

am i gettin this right..your saying you crossed a bridge over the Mekong in 70's...if she was from NE Thailand, what was the reason for going into Laos with her..sure she wasnt Laotian ??..how many hours after the bridge did you travel, was it hill country or flat lands, where her village was?

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » June 11, 2011, 11:49 am

Fuzzy,

Maybe this will help. Sri Chiang Mai is NE of Udon near the Mekong. Grid C-2 on the map (click on the map for a larger view).

Here's a link to photo up loader, easy to post picks using this:

http://www.postimage.org/

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » June 11, 2011, 12:13 pm

papaguido wrote:Fuzzy,

Maybe this will help. Sri Chiang Mai is NE of Udon near the Mekong. Grid C-2 on the map (click on the map for a larger view).

Here's a link to photo up loader, easy to post picks using this:

http://www.postimage.org/
Dammit where's that edit button :D

:oops: meant to write NW....not NE :confused:

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » June 11, 2011, 3:03 pm

just as well we are not jumping in on your grid refs papa, we'd be in India...hahaha

fuzzykjun

Post by fuzzykjun » June 11, 2011, 10:25 pm

Sorry for all the confusion here!! Its been 35 years guys! There were two couples, myself and penn and another gi and his girl.. we went to both homes,, not sure were we where at the time but the highway passed thru laos.. I believe the other girl lived in a village close to the border and we had to mayby take another little road to get there. I could have sworn they said we went to a Chiang Mai resort,,, a very big lake with piers going out and having party platforms on it and such,, I even saw something like it on a search and it looked like the same lake,, could have been another..
Anyway,,, I do not think I'll get anywheres like this,,,, what I need is someone who married a thai from non sung or close by that has friends or relatives still in non sung!!! If they could send some posters to these friends or relatives and have them put in the local shops someone there will remember me and penn,, I could make a poster with a message and some pictures to send,, I would pay whatever for the poster to be copied there. The old Southern Belle
all the way to the right was were penn first appeared and I knew the owner real well. Also the owner of the bungalow were we lived or his children are still there,, we spent christmas together that year! Anyway,, anyone with relatives there that might help ?? thanks for all assistance!!!

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » June 16, 2011, 8:10 am

You guys who like to reminisce about the good ole days may find some friends on the following site. Lots of photos and posts.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UdornRese ... op=eupdate

gijoe

Post by gijoe » July 7, 2011, 11:12 am

I worked the midnight shift the better part of 1968 to 1969. After my first tour I went to Vin Hill Farms in VA. Got out of there as quickly as possible and went back to the mid shift in Udon :mrgreen: for a year and five months and then ETA in June of 1970. I don't remember many names of friends that I worked with. Kevin Quirk, Pulley?, Tim Zorn. Bill, Bill, Sawtel?? One name I know for sure but wish I could forget. He was my shadow... I just found this forum and will do a little exploring. I need to locate some of my buddies from Udon and Ft. Devins. Everything is just a little blurry...

lkbrown1

Post by lkbrown1 » August 23, 2011, 3:48 am

Jackman, how you doing? I was an MP at Ramasun Station from March 75 til Jun 76 contact me man and lets talk. Some more of us are out here too. Look forward to hearing from you. gasman/lkbrown1

elf721

Post by elf721 » September 26, 2011, 9:24 am

I was stationed at Ramasun in 71-72. Worked in the box as a code taker. Played music on WKRR "Radio Ramasun" as Peter Martin. Remember the flag football team won the Championship during the time I was there. Hope that Jonesy and Rateree are still around.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » September 26, 2011, 5:35 pm

FACEBOOK has a Ramasun Station Thailand forum that has 53 members now.. The Yahoo group Udorn Vets is OK too and has more members but also includes guys who were at the airbase..
Dave

MilitaryRetiree

Post by MilitaryRetiree » October 23, 2011, 3:52 am

Greetings, Guys, Just found this site, thought I'd comment on it. I was one of the Photographers stationed at Ramasun from Jan. 74, til Jan 75. I worked there in the Hqtrs bldg. at the end of the hallway. I was most often seen in the company of Ssgt. David P. Glaser (aka: "Chuckie P."), Don Williams, Bob Locke, and/or that fine blonde, Betty Carver. I have recently found out that Glaser, who was a Msgt at Army Personnel Ctr. in Alexandria, Va., passed away earlier this year with pancreatic cancer. Bob Locke and Don Williams came from Arlington Hall Va. to visit me at Ft. Bragg, in 75 or '76., then I moved to Delta Junction, Ak. and lost track. of every one for a while. I DID speak to Williams a few years ago, via fone, but that was my last contact. Someone said that it's believed that Bob Locke has also passed. Ssgt. Don Teft now lives in Hinesville, Gal, Al Mays in Va. I am in Fla. I met with the former HHC., 7th, Capt. Carlos M. Collat at Quarry Heights, Panama, when I was the NCOIC, Public Affairs Office, U.S. Army Southern Command. I transferred to Ft. Clayton, to assume the position of NCOIC, PAO, then after 3 of the longest years of my life, I returned to Ft. Eustis, Va. until I retired in '88,. I worked at the Winn-Dixie Corp. Hqtrs in Jacksonville, then at NAS Jax., then as a trucker for J.B. Hunt. I worked for S.C. Dept. of Corrections, then returned to Fla.where I worked for a few years for the Fla. Dept. of Corrections. I worked for 2 years on Death Row, then moved to Gainesville for a couple of years. I worked at the Death Wing Sgt. at Fla. State Prison. I have lost one foot, acquired a blood disorder similar to leukemia, have a bunch of stents in my arteries, but still kicking. I lost track of the girls from the USO, Eileen O'neal, and Renee' (or Rene') Johnson. I understand that Renee was from Bennetsville, S.C.but there are a couple of thousand of them listed on any search engine I use. Take care guys. Drop me a not. BTW, my best friend, Don Williams, worked at the MARS station also (AB9Alpha Delta).

dmur1150

Post by dmur1150 » November 20, 2011, 9:24 am

Worked in the maintance shop fo the first 3 months than was transfered to the aviation section. 70 - 72.

ukpdam

Post by ukpdam » December 19, 2011, 11:05 am

hey - nice seeing names I haven't seen or heard for over 30 years. I was O5H at ramasun from mid 73 to mid 74, then returned for some time in 75 and lost my security clearance due to "close and continuous association with a foreign national" who later became my wife. After the security clearance loss I was transferred to Samaesan near Utapao and ran a MARS station there for about a year. Can't even remember the callsign ! Here's some names I remember in case anyone is still in contact-
Donald (Chico) Wilkerson (shared a bungalow in Non-Soong)
Byron Jordan (shared a bungalow and am still in close contact)
Bob Glass (Byron has his contact info)
Bob Hanyok (he became official NSA historian and wrote the definitive work on the Gulf of Tonkin incident)
John Huberty
Dennis East (mysterious dude from AZ)
Mike Gauthier (allergic to tomatoes !)
Steve Ward (dad had a bar in NYC and the subway ran right under the house)
John Henderson (Cincinnatti)
Dwight Pinkerton (Cowboy - O5D - Tryon, Nebraska)
Chief (who took on a dozen thai police after he tore off his handcuffs)
Jay? North ( I still have your diamond ring you hocked !)
Don McPhail (Hillary's right hand Man in the State Department)

What a wild place to be 18, 19, 20, 21 years old ! Great to hear from you all !
dave minnich

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » December 21, 2011, 6:15 am

quiet, smilin' Dave Minnich.. always wondered where ya went... So, "Buddha" Don McPhail is in the State Dept?? Well, when I go into work today at the embassy here in Bangkok, I'll look him up in the State e-mail..!! 8 days left until I'm wheels up into final retirement from 21 plus years in the Army and 17 with State..... Back to the States for 5-6 months and then to our place in Udon Thani...

cheers,

Dave Frazee
Dave

Return to “Notice Board”