Anzac Day Udon Thani 2023.

Monthly meetings, organizations, important dates to remember etc.
Sport
udonmap.com

Anzac Day Udon Thani 2023.

Post by Sport » April 24, 2023, 5:10 pm

Tomorrow the 25 April is the day in Australia and New Zealand, the Govts. Military and just ordinary civilians stop and pause to commemorate this part of our history in the April 25 landing at Gallipoli, Turkey, campaign in WW1. Large marches are carried out in both countries.

Many perished, allies and the Turks on both sides of that conflict. So if you remember this day, spare a few seconds to remember those who perished and the wounded.

maaka
udonmap.com

Re: Anzac Day Udon Thani 2023.

Post by maaka » April 25, 2023, 8:10 pm

We Shall Never Forget those Kiwi and Aussie soldiers, ( ANZAC 'S ) of any color or creed, that didnt live to come back home, or gave their lives in any war, so we could live in freedom today..

I say any color or creed, because I am just learning that men of the Cook Islands, and Niue, fought as part of the NZ continent in WW1 ,some at the Somme in France, some in the Sinai, yet their endeavours have mainly been forgotten, or just lumped in as ANZAC's..and that goes for our Maori brothers, and First Nation fella's as well, of that era..

RIP fella's..
thanks for your service

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 25, 2023, 9:02 pm

It is my impression that April 25 has reverted to being the low-key, though respectful and important remembrance day that it was for many years, prior to John Howard and his conservative successors turning it into a carnival

Long may it remain thus.

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » April 25, 2023, 10:02 pm

Have a look at the different tv channels in Australia and even the UK ones and you will see hundreds of thousands of people who paid their respects across Australia and NZ today. John Howard, the OZ PM pushed hard to see that the day should be inclusive of all people including the young ones whose relatives did not come back, but wore their relatives medals in the marches.

I hope it stays that way for many years to come. Makes you proud to be an Aussie or Kiwi on this sacred day.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 26, 2023, 10:57 am

Those who marched were not just Oz and NZ. From a personal point of view, I never marched wearing my father's medals. A great man and a long serving British soldier, but I felt wearing his medals was inappropriate, almost like bathing in refeleced glory.

They were his not mine, I have now donated them to the local RSL
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Return to “Notice Board”