Richard Todd in ICU

Monthly meetings, organizations, important dates to remember etc.
tamada
udonmap.com

Richard Todd in ICU

Post by tamada » January 15, 2023, 5:47 pm

One of Udon Thani's long-time residents had a nasty tumble after hitting a pothole while out exercising on his e-bike just after New Year. Fractured collar bone, three fractured ribs, a punctured lung and a concussion. The head injury was the biggest worry at first but he's lucid and can communicate despite the tubes. The prognosis for recovery is good but at Richard's age, that will likely be long and painful.

Like a lot of Udon's old worthies, Richard lacked adequate medical insurance and his savings have taken a big hit on this. His friends and acquaintances have all been chipping in, doing hospital visits as well as assisting his siblings get over here from the US last week. He's still in ICU at Udon General, been two weeks already and improving very slowly.

But the next biggest hill is the hospital bill that kicked off at ~25k/day in the ICU. A Gofundme page has been set up (see appended link). If anyone cares to contribute, you can also make a transfer direct to Richard's bank here in Udon (PM for details). If anyone knows Richard or just want to drop by, I can post a rough map.

there but for the grace of God go I

tam

https://gofund.me/d04586e6

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Re: Richard Todd in ICU

Post by Potamoi » January 15, 2023, 8:56 pm

Thanks for this Tam. I'm sure any and all help that can be mustered will be most appreciated.

I met Richard a few times out at Colin's place and was eager to help out a fellow expat in need.

Good you posted this in the larger community.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » January 15, 2023, 9:34 pm

The above link doesn't work.
I get bad gateway.

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » January 15, 2023, 9:59 pm

I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 17, 2023, 8:45 pm

Richard's now breathing unaided (one less tube!) so some progress there. He'll be moving out of ICU into the next tier. Still not out of the woods by a long chalk.

Many thanks for all the contributions to date. Great to see our community coming together for Richard. For context, before the Covid restrictions, each year Richard would spend some time in China as well as visiting friends and relatives in Mexico. Last year he mentioned his savings were looking better than expected due to being stuck in Thailand but his accident has pretty much wiped that bonus out.

there but for the grace of God go I

Ta
tam
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 17, 2023, 9:04 pm

Forgot to mention, the hospital is restricting visitors to one at a time so request that anyone dropping by to see Richard be patient [sic]
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 20, 2023, 3:10 pm

At least a couple of folk have mentioned getting warning flags and other stuff on both the Gofundme links provided. It works OK on my DTAC (SIM router) at home and AIS data on my phone. However, I get the errors others have mentioned when I accessed it on Col's WiFi at the carwash which is on True. When I get back to the office, I'll check if 3BB works (backup service).
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 20, 2023, 10:41 pm

The GoFundMe page is accessible via 3BB. It appears that True may be blocking access.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Potamoi
udonmap.com

Post by Potamoi » January 20, 2023, 11:34 pm

Works on my home internet (True) as well as my Office internet when I remote in (AIS) as well as my office using my (CAT) fibre account. I doubt the provider is the issue.

I then tried using Chrome, Firefox, Edge and Brave on all three ISP's so I think it may be another setting for those who have trouble accessing.
Benjamin Franklin

Potamoi
udonmap.com

Post by Potamoi » January 22, 2023, 11:09 pm

In case folks are still having issues to see the GoFundMe page Colin has volunteered to help out with Richards bank details etc.

"Please email me at [email protected] and i will forward bank details here in Thailand for Richard."

Thanks to all that have been so generous and donated to help Richard and his kids in this tough time.
Benjamin Franklin

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 2, 2023, 3:55 pm

Update: Richard was discharged to a care home just over a week ago but then they had a covid outbreak. He caught it, mild symptoms thankfully, but was checked back into hospital until the all clear. Hopefully by this weekend, he'll be returned to the care home and start the physiotherapy. Hoping for good outcomes and a return to full mobility and his apartment.

Thanks to those who either contributed locally or visited with him. Also thanks to those who donated via the GoFundMe which stands at over $6200 the last time I checked.

There but for the grace of God go I.

Ta
tam
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

joudon
udonmap.com

Post by joudon » February 20, 2023, 8:22 am

Sadly, Richard has passed away
RIP

Potamoi
udonmap.com

Re: Richard Todd Funeral Location

Post by Potamoi » February 22, 2023, 6:58 pm

For those who wish to attend Richard's funeral:

Saturday, 25-Feb-23 beginning at 13:00 with cremation scheduled for 15:00
RichardTodd.jpg
The temple location is:
or
https://www.google.com/maps?q=17.387148,102.833014
RichardFuneralTemple.jpg
Colin's Outback Bar will be the location of the wake or celebration of Richard's life afterward.

17.403341574550186, 102.86361532272761
or
bit.ly/outbackbar
or
https://www.google.com/maps/place/17%C2 ... 02.8636111
Benjamin Franklin

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » March 1, 2023, 7:09 am

joudon wrote:
February 20, 2023, 8:22 am
Sadly, Richard has passed away
RIP
Only just seen this , i got admitted 20 jan RTA on monday 23 they moved richard next to me in the trauma ward , young family talking to him were hoping to get him discharged 24th as setting up his place with possible exercise bike ,,i was discharged that day 23rd , ( i couldn't even stand up unaided )compared to me he seemed pretty well , but obviously not ,
It's took me awhile to get back on my feet ,not fully recovered broken bit's still healing ), RIP Richard

Return to “Notice Board”