Vegan Meetup Group ?

Monthly meetings, organizations, important dates to remember etc.
chopperjoey
udonmap.com

Vegan Meetup Group ?

Post by chopperjoey » January 8, 2014, 1:27 pm

Hello everybody,

i would like to organize a vegan meetup here in Udon Thani. I am pretty much aware that there are not much <vegans> here in Udon, but my purpose is more to have a monthly meeting with just regular nice people, most non veg maybe, who simply like to eat once in a while vegetarian food.
Might i add that <beer> is a a vegan drink !! ;-)

The first meeting could be in UD Foodcourt, there is a <jay> food stall AND they sell beer, IMO a great combination.

If you want to escape the house, now you have a great excuse to tell your wife !!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Vegan Meetup Group ?

Post by stattointhailand » January 8, 2014, 7:59 pm

Is there anywhere in Thailand that doesn't use fish oil or oyster/fish sauce in every meal including salad :lol:
I really couldn't think of a worse country in the world to be a veggie.

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Vegan Meetup Group ?

Post by rickfarang » January 9, 2014, 2:57 am

Yes, there are some vegetarian restaurants that sever very "clean" food. No fish sauce, no oyster sauce, no garlic or onion. Personally I prefer garlic an onion because I am vegetarian and not Buddhist.

chopperjoey, any time you want to meet-up, let me know. Feeling like the only vegetarian in Udon is (eating wise) a lonely condition.

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Vegan Meetup Group ?

Post by Prenders88 » January 9, 2014, 10:20 am

I used to work with a vegan, he would not even wear leather shoes, and boycotted Halal certified goods because of the association with the way the animals are made to suffer during slaughter. He wore Dunlop "Green Flash" plimsolls in the office with his suit, the management understanding of his beliefs.
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

Allen A Hale
udonmap.com

Vegan Meetup Group ?

Post by Allen A Hale » January 9, 2014, 7:57 pm

I guess that when they do meet up it will not be to chew the fat. :roll:

tammakhun
udonmap.com

Vegan Meetup Group ?

Post by tammakhun » January 11, 2014, 12:33 am

stattointhailand wrote:Is there anywhere in Thailand that doesn't use fish oil or oyster/fish sauce in every meal including salad :lol:
I really couldn't think of a worse country in the world to be a veggie.
You're misinformed here. Udon Thani is a great city to live being vegan. My favorite shop is just before McDonalds when heading to UDTown. McDonalds is visible from this shop and there is a sign outside that says vegan food. There are least a half-dozen similar shops around town, but that one while far from my house is my favorite for taste and variety and I order from there all the. All these shops are cheap (30 baht for great meal).

Then there is much variety between the major supermarkets here. At BigC (I go to one more near the airport) there is decent canned Vegan food. Eating out of a can is my last choice but for 29 baht, and being able to crack open and eat this is some good stuff to keep in storage.

At Topsmarket in Central Plaza there is a brand called SPA. This has the best vegan-dog I've ever had. It is kind of like tofu-Kielbasa more than tofu-hotdog. The same brand also has a pretty decent vegan-baloney too. Tops also has lots of dried fruits that are decent snacks like cranberries and dates without lots of extra sugar added.

Coconuts, Bananas, and Apples can be found all over these are great foods to snack on.

Then yeah eating out when with friends, you won't get your first choices of meals when going into it blind. But almost every shop understands jaeh (เจ) if you tell gin jaeh and they repeat, it is very unlikely you'll get fish sauce in the food. Most everywhere can whip something up with oil, vegetables etc. It is well understood term.

In the west you have to deal much more in terms of people's attitudes responses etc. Everyone wants to know why it is you don't eat meat. I mean tell a foreigner you're vegan casually and it won't take long until their describing hunting and what a great meat some animal is all babbling. Most Thai meat eaters are way cooler about it. There is still some of the same occasionally too, but much less of it.

As far as the shops mentioned OMG the variety. Places do wonders with these food.

tammakhun
udonmap.com

Vegan Meetup Group ?

Post by tammakhun » January 11, 2014, 12:47 am

Actually a picture is worth a lot of words right. I pulled these off my facebook just now. These are from different places, but all of this is Vegan food I've bought and eaten in Udon Thani in recent weeks.

I had forgot to mention too, the fake meats and different style of tofus etc. are available at major markets too. Also some of these shops that cook jaeh food sell the raw ingredients too. For example a Mushroom Soi Sauce to use instead of fish sauce (the one photo I have of noodles was seasoned with just that). I eat rather healthy but some also have things like deep fried mushrooms, and sugary deserts as well.

tammakhun
udonmap.com

Vegan Meetup Group ?

Post by tammakhun » January 11, 2014, 1:07 am

Example of canned vegan food sold at Big C

Also obvious tons of vegetable dishes can make, but another vegan food worth mentioning is peanuts. There is a lot variety for that here. In two of the Tesco's they sell these nori (seaweed) flavored cashews that are awesome, but i mean tons of options to choose from for peanuts.

parrot
udonmap.com

Vegan Meetup Group ?

Post by parrot » January 11, 2014, 8:04 pm

Friends from the US visited us a few years ago.......husband and a daughter didn't eat meat......wife and son did. We took them to MK......got a large table with double burners.......one for the vegans....the other loaded with meats/fish. Everyone had a good meal at the same table.

Lots of places that serve vegan food around town.......look for the signs that say เจ (JAY).
Attachments
default.jpeg
default.jpeg (11.7 KiB) Viewed 4644 times
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (11.89 KiB) Viewed 4644 times

chopperjoey
udonmap.com

Vegan Meetup Group ?

Post by chopperjoey » January 13, 2014, 11:59 am

great to see so many positive replies.

Boo, you are right, the Jay restaurant near McDonalds (actually it is right in front of Aek Udon Hospital and it is open until 7 pm daily.) is by far the best Jay restaurant in town. Besides it is conveniently located near UD Town and not far away from central, etc.
Anyone who would like to try Jay food for the first time, please go eat here.

Let's organize a little meetup the beginning of next month. I especially welcome non veggie people who simply like to try Jay food for once. Since the Jay restaurant in front of Aek Udon is (IMO) the best, we could have it there, and possible after the meal have a beer at the UD Town food court.

I will post later at the end of this month, and also keep interested people updated with a PMP

chopperjoey
udonmap.com

Vegan Meetup Group ?

Post by chopperjoey » January 27, 2014, 2:03 pm

The first vegan meetup will be held the first of February (Saturday) in the Jay restaurant on Posri Road right in front of the Aek Udon Hospital, at 5.00 PM.
It will be a nice and social gathering of people who like to eat the vegan Jay food or like to try it.
Interested ? Please PM me,

Thanks

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Vegan Meetup Group ?

Post by rickfarang » January 28, 2014, 1:12 am

Ok...Saturday at 5:00 PM...Looking forward to it.

tammakhun
udonmap.com

Vegan Meetup Group ?

Post by tammakhun » March 23, 2014, 11:10 pm

I had such a great meal tonight, wanted to let fellow vegetarians/vegans know about it.

Ch. Chaba (สวนอาหาร ช.ชบา) on the way to the airport, just down the road from where Udon FC plays, nearly opposite the car auction. I went there blind late tonight (about 10PM on a Sunday) figuring I would just order some vegetable dish. Turns out they had a full jaeh section on their menu with with about 12 different dishes on it. Most was bean curd seasoned different ways, but was good and very unique from anything I've had at other shops.

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Vegan Meetup Group ?

Post by rickfarang » March 24, 2014, 12:11 am

Thank you, I'll have to check it out. I don't know the landmarks you mentioned. What road is it on and which side?

tammakhun
udonmap.com

Vegan Meetup Group ?

Post by tammakhun » March 24, 2014, 1:21 am

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Vegan Meetup Group ?

Post by rickfarang » March 24, 2014, 10:05 am

Great! Thanks! :D

chopperjoey
udonmap.com

Re: Vegan Meetup Group ?

Post by chopperjoey » November 2, 2023, 10:15 am

This years Vegetarian Festival was awesome with lots of great vegan foods in all of the restaurants in Central. It made me think to once more try to make a vegan (vegatarian) meetup group. (although in 2014 it didnt work out...)

Anyone interested in joining a veg meetup group? For vegetarians, vegans, friends and family, interested people, etc. Family friendly!
I have organised vegan meetups in Tokyo 15 years ago, these events can be very fun and special, especially when quality non veg restaurants prepare veg food at request.

The idea is to meet and eat both in the local vegetarian Jay shops as well as the restaurants at the top floor of Central who will prepare a special vegan course at our request in advance. e.g. meetup each two weeks ; friday lunch at a veg jay shop followed by two week later saturday dinner at Central.

Minimum 4 people. If interested pls add me on the LINE app and i will make a VEG MEETUP UDON LINE GROUP where we can discus and share....

thanks

line 0877094284

Return to “Notice Board”