Venomous Snakes of Udon Thani

Monthly meetings, organizations, important dates to remember etc.
BigRick808
udonmap.com

Post by BigRick808 » January 16, 2016, 4:40 am

FLICKFLACKER404 wrote:Barney good idea with the talcum powder,my mrs uses talcum powder to make herself look white :D shes also been known to sprinkle it on the back of toads hoping to see this weeks lotto numbers :mad:{mad as a box of frogs}see what i did there? :D
On the back of toads? Haha! :D Who and how do they come up with this stuff? Sounds like you got a real keeper. Maybe I'll give it a try....

redwolf
udonmap.com

Post by redwolf » January 18, 2016, 3:51 pm

while cleaning the yard, heard the birds giving alerts & spotted a snake moving along the retaining wall near neighbour's house, all black, shiny head & body, 1.5 meters, wide body. pointed it out to the neighbours & they raised a ruckus & all the male occupants took chase on it fast, -but it got further into the mayhem that is their property. tried to ask if it was a cobra but they only speak "yawi" language & too busy going after it to clarify.

-any other black snakes around here worth that kind of coordinated reaction amongst machete wielding far south types? :-k

p.s. what's the real language Thais call "Yawi"? Malay?
AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM | ARCANA IMPERII | ALIS AQUILAE

FLICKFLACKER404
udonmap.com

Post by FLICKFLACKER404 » January 18, 2016, 4:44 pm

Not long after i had moved into this house i was sat outside on the porch looking at stuff on the laptop,glanced down and there was a big black snake crawling through one of my flipflops which was on the bottom step about 2 feet away,nearly soiled my underpants and ended up doing my version of the river dance,turned out it was a rat snake.
elaobs1.jpg
elaobs1.jpg (37.21 KiB) Viewed 8263 times
Like i said in earlier post ive seen the thais get excited over a harmless tree snake

FLICKFLACKER404
udonmap.com

Post by FLICKFLACKER404 » January 18, 2016, 4:53 pm

BigRick808 wrote:
FLICKFLACKER404 wrote:Barney good idea with the talcum powder,my mrs uses talcum powder to make herself look white :D shes also been known to sprinkle it on the back of toads hoping to see this weeks lotto numbers :mad:{mad as a box of frogs}see what i did there? :D
On the back of toads? Haha! :D Who and how do they come up with this stuff? Sounds like you got a real keeper. Maybe I'll give it a try....
For a small donation of 2000 baht the wife will give you next weeks lotto numbers,the 2000baht is to cover the cost of the talc :D

redwolf
udonmap.com

Post by redwolf » January 18, 2016, 10:00 pm

I know it's not Udon but just saw this in my Facebook feed from Khaosod News,

http://www.khaosod.co.th/view_newsonlin ... 1453006953

these guys caught a 5 meter cobra, -get a load of this thing, -pretty deft work by some guys in sandals carrying PVC pipe & tent poles strung with laundry line rope:
1453006930_201601171144081-20021028190220.jpg
1453006915_201601171144082-20021028190220.jpg
Video shows them removing it, but then switches to them measuring a python.

I can make out some of the text saying it's in Nakhon Si Thammarat. นครศรีธรรมราช Pretty sure nothing that big up here.

ช่วงกลางดึกของคืนวันเดียวกันเจ้าหน้าที่ได้จับงูยักษ์ได้อีกตัวมาที่มูลนิธิประชาร่วมใจ อ.เมือง จ.นครศรีธรรมราช โดยพบว่างูเหลือมขนาดใหญ่มีความยาวประมาณ 5 เมตรเศษ จับได้ที่บริเวณใกล้กับสวนอาหารเจบี ตรงข้ามปั้ม ปตท ข้างห้างโรบินสันโอเชี่ยน ถ.พัฒนาการคูขวาง ต.คลัง อ.เมือง ซึ่งชาวบ้านได้เห็นงูเหลือมตัวดังกล่าวเลื้อยอยู่บนถนนเกรงว่าจะถูกรถชนได้รับอันตรายจึงแจ้งให้เจ้าหน้าที่ไปจับเพื่อนำไปปล่อยกลับสู่ธรรมชาติต่อไปแล้ว
AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM | ARCANA IMPERII | ALIS AQUILAE

Alchai
udonmap.com

Post by Alchai » May 10, 2016, 1:24 am

Does anyone know what snake this is? Found and photographed by our gardener a week ago. The coconut tree is hollow and I think there could be mice or rats living inside that would probably attract the snake. Looking at Michaels photos I think it looks like a Red-necked Keelback, it seems like the tail is thin. Any suggestions?
Attachments
IMG_1601.JPG
We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now

udonmap.com

Post by 12345 » May 10, 2016, 1:31 am

Flying Golden Tree Snake, poisonous, but fairly harmless, as not that potent, and fangs recessed, I think. I quite like them, cute and shy, unless cornered, as all things. Have a couple at house and we don't bother each other.
Chrysopelea ornata ornatissima (Golden Tree Snake)
Thai: ngu kieo lai dok mak (ngu kieo lai dok mak)

Length: Up to 140 cm

Distribution: The Golden Tree Snake is to be found throughout Thailand.

Behaviour/habitat:
Chrysopelea Ornata Ornattissima is a flexible snake. It can be found in forests, on plantations, in gardens and in houses. This snake is regularly found in the inner city areas of Bangkok and Pattaya. As they enjoy eating rodents, geckos and other lizards, they are often found on and in houses. These snakes are active during the day, can climb walls and are very fast.

Danger:
If they feel threatened and cannot flee, they bite straight away. The species Chrysopelea belongs to the family of rearfanged snakes. However, the venomous is so mild that it does not have much of an effect on humans.

Alchai
udonmap.com

Post by Alchai » May 10, 2016, 3:21 am

Thanks for you quick answer 125
We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » June 1, 2016, 5:28 pm

We found this visitor in our yard this afternoon. It was about 5 1/2 feet long.
Does anybody know what kind of snake it is ?

[img][attachment=0]Snake About 5 feet Long.jpg[/attachment][/img]
Attachments
Snake About 5 feet Long.jpg
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » June 1, 2016, 6:58 pm

pf-flyer wrote:We found this visitor in our yard this afternoon. It was about 5 1/2 feet long.
Does anybody know what kind of snake it is ?

[img]
The attachment Snake%20About%205%20feet%20Long.jpg is no longer available
[/img]
Looks like Copperhead racer. Could be almost 3 meters long. Pic is not best possible.
Attachments
Racer.JPG

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » June 2, 2016, 6:32 am

Thanks. I Googled Copperhead Racer and I found a picture that matches the snake exactly. I took the picture with my cell phone and it is hard to see the cell phone display in the bright sun.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

MichaelZ
udonmap.com

Re: Venomous Snakes of Udon Thani

Post by MichaelZ » December 13, 2016, 5:29 pm

Hello there!
So, we have nearly finished our house and today the dogs sniffed something by the bin, sorry,that's all I got, but he run and hide under the pile of wood so I guess we will see him again soon.. Any ideas what is it?
Thanks!
https://youtu.be/b0i1nZKuuyE

Sent from my H60-L12 using Tapatalk

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 25, 2016, 12:27 pm

The article at www.thairath.co.th/content/819554 explains the utility of having a couple of geese around the yard.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » December 25, 2016, 2:12 pm

Looks like Green Tree Snake - deadly even small ones we killed 2 in garden last month no choice them or us!

WizzWanger67
udonmap.com

Post by WizzWanger67 » December 26, 2016, 9:56 am

dunroaming wrote:Looks like Green Tree Snake - deadly even small ones we killed 2 in garden last month no choice them or us!
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » March 21, 2017, 10:31 am

Identification? As usual, dogs were on to this intruder last evening. Sadly despatched, but near to the house, noise, messing about in the darkness etc. The dogs appeared to be more wary than usual. Wife said it was 'hissing' at them.
IMG_4072.JPG
IMG_4073.JPG

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » March 21, 2017, 11:34 am

Hissing and moore wary the usuall...me thing young Cobra..had one myself 2 month ago..dogs wary..and seems that they knew they should NOT try to kill it...But did you see any markings that would indicate that it was a Cobra ?

REMEMBER it's mating season for snakes now..be careful..

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » March 21, 2017, 11:38 am

DuiDui49 wrote:Hissing and moore wary the usuall...me thing young Cobra..had one myself 2 month ago..dogs wary..and seems that they knew they should NOT try to kill it...But did you see any markings that would indicate that it was a Cobra ?
I look the belly pattern and it looks like to be a individual Cobra. Head scales also fits. Only one meter and so a very small one.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » March 21, 2017, 12:32 pm

A sort of mid-green colour on top, I'd suggest, paler under - yellow/white? No very distinctive markings like some snakes, although I think you can make out a diamond?-shaped marking at intervals along the side of the body.

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » March 21, 2017, 4:11 pm

maybe some type of rat snake-( indo - china rat snake) they come in many different variations

Return to “Notice Board”