Where to get the best steak in Udon?

Discussions on local & International restaurants and food suppliers.
JohnKing
udonmap.com

Where to get the best steak in Udon?

Post by JohnKing » January 2, 2022, 4:11 pm

Any offers on where to go for a good evening out and eat the best steak in town?

Thanks J and P

Stoeger
udonmap.com

Re: Where to get the best steak in Udon?

Post by Stoeger » January 3, 2022, 8:32 am

I have been coming to Udon Thani (as well as other parts of Thailand) for over 20 years! So far I could give a different answer of where to get the "worst steak" in Udon! Everywhere?

After taking a chance in many different venues (both in Udon and other cities), I have come to the conclusion that Thai Chefs simply don't know how to 1) buy quality beef and 2) marinate and cook it properly! In their defense, they may be restricted by the boss's budget! You need to start with an above average product sans the abundance of bone, fat and grissle! So goes the saying "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear"!

Once, I ordered a big steak in the largest hotel in Mukdahan (on the Mekong River) and it was more tough than a "streetfighter in Dublin"! I complained to the waitress, assuring her it was not her fault so whe wouldn't lose face and asked to see the manager! He proceeded to call a meeting with his staff, the cook and the doorman! After about 15 minutes, the waitress returned to say "they would take 10% off the bill"! Really? So, I lost 360 THB and went away hungry!

Some years ago, the big rage in Thailand was the avent of "Australian Beef"! Well, after paying inflated prices for that, the result for me was the same! You got a piece of an old shoe and couldn't cut a piece off it with a chainsaw! At 77, I may have to admit that my teeth have worn down and are less cutting edge than when I was 12! Nevertheless, you should be able to "gum" your way through a top drawer steak! Even though I tried living on mostly Leo beer for many years, sometimes you have to have a substantial meal! I don't expect Thailand to be serving Kobe beef in the night market but, it would be nice to get a "good piece of meat" in Thailand (no pun intended)!

You can have a nice meal with desirable ambiance in the Good Everything restaurant across from Nam Prajak on the same side of the street as Udon General Hospital! The steak is seasoned well to be tasty but, my digestive experience is the same as above! The Vietnamese people who run the place do a very nice job and strive to please the customer!

I have never tried a steak in the Brick House! Does anybody have an opinion? More than likely, the best idea is to go to Tops Market or your butcher of choice, hope to buy a hunk of high quality beef steak, take it home and cook it the way you want it!

Declan MacPherson
udonmap.com

Post by Declan MacPherson » January 3, 2022, 8:46 am

Stoeger wrote:
January 3, 2022, 8:32 am
I have been coming to Udon Thani (as well as other parts of Thailand) for over 20 years! So far I could give a different answer of where to get the "worst steak" in Udon! Everywhere?

After taking a chance in many different venues (both in Udon and other cities), I have come to the conclusion that Thai Chefs simply don't know how to 1) buy quality beef and 2) marinate and cook it properly! In their defense, they may be restricted by the boss's budget! You need to start with an above average product sans the abundance of bone, fat and grissle! So goes the saying "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear"!

Once, I ordered a big steak in the largest hotel in Mukdahan (on the Mekong River) and it was more tough than a "streetfighter in Dublin"! I complained to the waitress, assuring her it was not her fault so whe wouldn't lose face and asked to see the manager! He proceeded to call a meeting with his staff, the cook and the doorman! After about 15 minutes, the waitress returned to say "they would take 10% off the bill"! Really? So, I lost 360 THB and went away hungry!

Some years ago, the big rage in Thailand was the avent of "Australian Beef"! Well, after paying inflated prices for that, the result for me was the same! You got a piece of an old shoe and couldn't cut a piece off it with a chainsaw! At 77, I may have to admit that my teeth have worn down and are less cutting edge than when I was 12! Nevertheless, you should be able to "gum" your way through a top drawer steak! Even though I tried living on mostly Leo beer for many years, sometimes you have to have a substantial meal! I don't expect Thailand to be serving Kobe beef in the night market but, it would be nice to get a "good piece of meat" in Thailand (no pun intended)!

You can have a nice meal with desirable ambiance in the Good Everything restaurant across from Nam Prajak on the same side of the street as Udon General Hospital! The steak is seasoned well to be tasty but, my digestive experience is the same as above! The Vietnamese people who run the place do a very nice job and strive to please the customer!

I have never tried a steak in the Brick House! Does anybody have an opinion? More than likely, the best idea is to go to Tops Market or your butcher of choice, hope to buy a hunk of high quality beef steak, take it home and cook it the way you want it!
I will agree.

Although I have had a couple of excellent steaks at 2 select venues owned by falangs in Pattaya. Unlike Thai Chefs, these restaurant owners know how to do it correctly.
"Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." - Ephesians 6:11

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » January 3, 2022, 9:05 am

Kobe beef is available, but so expensive i doubt anyone in udon is prepared to put it on the menu. last time i checked it was around 5000b kg, even having a 250g steak meal you would be paying 2000b, then if your chef managed to overcook it then the restaurant would loose out. i'm now craving a steak, got a nice piece of rump. perfect for a braised steak
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » January 3, 2022, 9:08 am

You will get a good steak in the Brickhouse. Max also has decent steak in his shop. "Cheese to meet you"
Alternatively if you wish to cook your steak by yourself there is a good butcher in Nong som Rong beside the traffic lights at the cross roads.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » January 3, 2022, 9:25 am

I can't remember the last time I had a beef steak. I live in the boonies of Loei province. The beef you buy up here is still quivering and as touch as an old shoe, ground beef was lean to the point that you couldn't fry it in a pan. I had tried to make beef stew in my pressure cooker. It fell apart but even then was very stringy with no flavor.

Buying beef while living in Bangkok was easy. I had a favorite butcher at Villa supermarket who always knew exactly what I wanted, Great rib eye steaks. Even hamburger was ground to order, pure beef with 10 percent fat.

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » January 3, 2022, 11:05 am

if you want to buy some steaks and grill it yourself then go and buy it here:
https://www.facebook.com/udee.gourmet/p ... e_internal

if you want to have it grilled by a real kitchen chef then (preorder and) eat it here:
https://www.facebook.com/chefstableudon999

or here:
https://www.facebook.com/primesteakhouseudonthani

anyway - enjoy your steak(s).

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » January 3, 2022, 11:21 am

Unsure if any Udon reseller has jackscreek.com.au steak available, if they do you will not be disappointed, received the gong for the worlds best beef 2015 and 2016. The website has some great recipes if you are into cooking.

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » January 3, 2022, 12:53 pm

Try the New Zealand steak at the Gallery.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » January 3, 2022, 1:11 pm

Several years ago, I bought six steaks in Udon. They were frozen. the first two were great. The third was spoiled. four out of the six were OK but two were spoiled. When I say spoiled, they actually smelled very bad. They had come to Udon from Bangkok. I complained to the Bangkok distributor He told me that he no longer sold meat to the Udon shop because they allowed them to thaw then freeze again too many times. That was the last time I bought imported steaks.

I live in Loei province and since the Covid disaster, I no longer get over there. It's been over two years since I made the trip.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » January 3, 2022, 1:47 pm

I have been buying the Incha Beef brand tenderloin (fillet for Aussies) from Big C recently. Best steak I have had in Thailand, consistently good, and very well priced.

It is vacuum sealed on a black styrene tray, so easy to freeze if you only need/want to eat one piece (125gm) at a sitting.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » January 3, 2022, 3:06 pm

jackspratt wrote:
January 3, 2022, 1:47 pm
I have been buying the Incha Beef brand tenderloin (fillet for Aussies) from Big C recently. Best steak I have had in Thailand, consistently good, and very well priced.

It is vacuum sealed on a black styrene tray, so easy to freeze if you only need/want to eat one piece (125gm) at a sitting.
WTF - I was keeping that the best secret in Ban Dung for many months - clean out the stock on every visit!

EDIT:- Just went down to check me freezer - Currently have 8 trays sitting in there, in fact have one portion thawing for tonight's culinary delight =D> =P~
Last edited by Bandung_Dero on January 3, 2022, 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » January 3, 2022, 3:09 pm

So you're the one. :evil:

Bastard! :D

Return to “Udon Thani Restaurants”