The Centara breakfast buffet isn't nearly worth it.

Discussions on local & International restaurants and food suppliers.
Ricohoc
udonmap.com

Post by Ricohoc » March 6, 2012, 5:27 pm

At a price of 390+ baht, this buffet leaves much to be desired, and it's not a matter of being cheap or unaware of value. There are no food items there that warrant anything special, and I could have had at least three Western breakfasts or at least six Thai breakfasts for that price at other venues.

Hardly worth it. Some of us in attendance at the US Embassy visit deduced that the price must be an attempt to pay for all the renovations, but between 7am and 8am, there weren't even a dozen people eating in there.

On a positive note, as always, it was nice and clean and the fare was laid out well -- although there was a large area of food that had been in a dark area when we arrived, and only learned about it when they finally turned on the lights closer to 8am. By then, we were just about finished eating. The staff was extremely polite and attentive.

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » March 6, 2012, 6:28 pm

Too bad. I use to like to go there once in a while when it was 180 baht. I guess there not interested in walk-in customers for breakfast. They just want to stick-it to their guests that don't know where else to go for breakfast.

390 baht for breakfast :confused: I've had better and less expensive buffets in Bangkok hotels.
Has anyone tried the Prajaktra for breakfast?
UFF DA!

harmonyudon
udonmap.com

Post by harmonyudon » March 7, 2012, 7:32 am

Jello wrote:I guess there not interested in walk-in customers for breakfast.
Are the rooms rates there including breakfast??

wiking
udonmap.com

Post by wiking » March 7, 2012, 10:25 am

soon all can book with last minute offers to half price, on this way, they are all running, put the price crazy up and than give discount - before there was a lot off customer there, but now I think 3 staff to every customer

but not forget, they are living from goverment people who going seminar

but centara is a huge company, so they know what they are doing

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 7, 2012, 10:28 am

Jello wrote:Too bad. I use to like to go there once in a while when it was 180 baht. I guess there not interested in walk-in customers for breakfast. They just want to stick-it to their guests that don't know where else to go for breakfast.

390 baht for breakfast :confused: I've had better and less expensive buffets in Bangkok hotels.
Has anyone tried the Prajaktra for breakfast?
I have had the breakfast buffet at Prajaktra, and it was fine.

However I don't know the walk-in price, as it was included in the room rate.

harmonyudon
udonmap.com

Post by harmonyudon » March 7, 2012, 1:50 pm

jackspratt wrote:....However I don't know the walk-in price, as it was included in the room rate.
yeah...i saw you with your avatar :lol: :lol: :lol:

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 7, 2012, 3:17 pm

harmonyudon wrote:
jackspratt wrote:....However I don't know the walk-in price, as it was included in the room rate.
yeah...i saw you with your avatar :lol: :lol: :lol:
:confused:

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » March 7, 2012, 3:37 pm

Crazy!Thats a rip off!Why go there? How much at the" Ruy sook ?"
I forget but real cheap I know. and good portion!
As many other establishments In Udon

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » March 7, 2012, 4:46 pm

I don't know where that breakfast price came from . I recently stayed there and on check in was given a price for two in a deluxe room of 2,303bht without breakfast or 2,503 with, and that was for both my wife and I .So I make that just 100bht per person . Superb buffet breakfast as well.Choice of full English , Continental or Thai food .No idea what the walk in price is but for guests superb value .
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » March 7, 2012, 5:01 pm

Having had breakfast there also, I didn't think there was anything special in the quality/taste of the food to warrant the price I paid. I passed on the western food (eggs, pancakes, ham/hot dogs swimming in water & greasy bacon), I opted for Thai food, which was very good and I found it to be similar in quality/taste to Prajaktra's lunch buffet. They also had a vertical rotisserie with roasted chicken and naan bread (korma?) which I sampled and was very good, but, IMO still doesn't make up for the price. Oh yeah, can't forget the coffee...it was rancid. Perhaps better with cream & sugar, but I take mine black.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » March 7, 2012, 5:11 pm

trubrit wrote:I don't know where that breakfast price came from . I recently stayed there and on check in was given a price for two in a deluxe room of 2,303bht without breakfast or 2,503 with, and that was for both my wife and I .So I make that just 100bht per person . Superb buffet breakfast as well.Choice of full English , Continental or Thai food .No idea what the walk in price is but for guests superb value .
There were 3 of us at breakfast, our check bin was over 1000bt. I asked for yak bin (separate) the wait staff politely pointed at the bin where it was written 39_.30 x 3 (forget if it was 392 or 393, but it was 39 something).

I did see continental and Thai, but full English?...no beans or fried tomatoes in sight anywhere...

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » March 7, 2012, 8:02 pm

Papa.I presume yours was a walk in , not a resident visit. If so it looks very much as though they are trying to discourage non residents from attending .As for the English when I was there I had a choice of tomatoes, baked beans or mushrooms. There was also a Scandinavian spread of meats and cheeses .As I said previously, excellent value for the extra 100bht per person on the room rate but I must agree at nearly 400bht I would rather wait for the lunch buffet .

harmonyudon
udonmap.com

Post by harmonyudon » March 8, 2012, 3:35 pm

trubrit wrote: ... given a price for two in a deluxe room of 2,303bht without breakfast or 2,503 with, and that was for both my wife and I .So I make that just 100bht per person . Superb buffet breakfast as well.Choice of full English , Continental or Thai food .No idea what the walk in price is but for guests superb value...
Mr Trur-brit
Next time try Pannarai if its finished for 1200bht only.....including breakfast :D :D

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » March 8, 2012, 8:21 pm

harmonyudon wrote:
trubrit wrote: ... given a price for two in a deluxe room of 2,303bht without breakfast or 2,503 with, and that was for both my wife and I .So I make that just 100bht per person . Superb buffet breakfast as well.Choice of full English , Continental or Thai food .No idea what the walk in price is but for guests superb value...
Mr Trur-brit
Next time try Pannarai if its finished for 1200bht only.....including breakfast :D :D
I am afraid I avoid that soi like the plague, especially when accompanied by my wife .

WhoUrDaddy
udonmap.com

Post by WhoUrDaddy » March 9, 2012, 10:42 am

"I am afraid I avoid that soi like the plague, especially when accompanied by my wife"

Hard to argue there, that soi, and Andunyadet is avoided as plague infested.

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Post by BigBubba » March 9, 2012, 10:58 am

For that area of town the Irish Clock gets my vote... Full English 170 baht, plus 30 if you want black pudding, which I don't care for. And the coffee is always fresh and tasty. But my favorite breakfast is still TJ's because I prefer grits to beans.
Every day I wake up is a good day.

harmonyudon
udonmap.com

Post by harmonyudon » March 9, 2012, 11:07 am

trubrit wrote:I am afraid I avoid that soi like the plague, especially when accompanied by my wife .
Strange,a lot works there are from Nong-Wuo-Sor and surrounding areas for your info :| :| :|

jok

Post by jok » March 13, 2012, 5:05 pm

Thank you for bring to our attention the dissatisfaction you have encountered with pricing of our breakfast.
All comments has raised many areas of concern that need to be addressed and will inspire us to strive harder
in servicing all guest including local resident.

It is always a pleasure to receive compliments on our staff. They were all very pleased to learn all notes indicated.

May I take this opportunity to thank you again for your support and I very much hope to welcome you back to
our hotel and for you to experience our beautiful hotel at its very best.

Warm regards,

JOK
GM - Centara Hotel Udon Thani

losername
udonmap.com

Post by losername » May 15, 2012, 10:10 am

Ricohoc wrote:although there was a large area of food that had been in a dark area when we arrived, and only learned about it when they finally turned on the lights closer to 8am.
I am a local Farang but actually stayed at the hotel for a couple of nights as well. It was the layout of the breakfast buffet that I criticise. That separate alcove had most of the main meals and the fruit and salad in it and I wandered around longtime before finding it. I must have looked lost but no staff offered to help.

There are mentions of other delicious foods by other subscribers here but they were not on offer when I was there.

On another annoying point. No one ever offered me a refill for coffee. I signalled my need, but on both days ended up going to the service station with cup in hand, Oliver-like, begging for more.

I have not worked out how to do two quotes in one reply but I wish to congratulate JOK on actually reading the posts here. It could be a source of useful information in managing his hotel.

Return to “Udon Thani Restaurants”